The Tyler Moore Explanation

knapplc

I dislike BC as much as the next guy...but if Bo waits until the end of the season to can him...he puts 13' in jeopardy. Bo will either hire or promote some kid with little to no experience....thats not who I want coaching the line in 13' when everything is set up for a run. I'd rather keep BC. Can him this week, or keep him through 13'.

I disagree. Barney is very expendable when it comes to recruiting, the OL schemes would be the same, just a different person with knowledge running the show.

Recruiting yes...but I think we found out how expendable Sanders was...and most said good riddance to him as well at the time. I'd just rather not go into 13' with a new guy. Garrison is still young, and Stai has proven nothing. If the three of them together can't put together a competent line then nothing leads me to believe removing the most senior guy from the group would help any. It would mean our offense (save brown who is at the end of his career as well)... Would total about a dozen years experience in their positions. Defense is young as well. HC is young. All leads to further inconsistency. This staff sorely lacks experience. If BC is to go, do it now.

I understand what you are saying, but in my honest opinion there is no wrong time to fire Barney. His record speaks for itself and I'm not just speaking about the product on the field.

I would be interested to know what, if anything, Pelini did to intervene and convince Moore or any of the others who left the campus to stay at Nebraska. There just has to be more to this story than we are hearing. I am not buying into the “Oh, it happens all the time” garbage. Something is drastically wrong with the gears in the machine to make it not run smoothly. Considering the quality of those who left, something is amiss. Seems to me someone (Dr. Tom) needs to do some evaluation of the goings on with the structure of the program.

I would be interested to know what, if anything, Pelini did to intervene and convince Moore or any of the others who left the campus to stay at Nebraska. There just has to be more to this story than we are hearing. I am not buying into the “Oh, it happens all the time” garbage. Something is drastically wrong with the gears in the machine to make it not run smoothly. Considering the quality of those who left, something is amiss. Seems to me someone (Dr. Tom) needs to do some evaluation of the goings on with the structure of the program.

Kids leave programs all the time for various reasons. I know you don't want to hear it but it is the truth. Some just think it is the best decision for them and that is what they do.

We happen to already have Garrison in place and a guy like Stai who is in line for a promotion. Both are pretty well-thought of, I think.

Anybody got Will Shield's number?

At least his kid is on the basketball team (but I don't think this has anything to do with the Cotton boys.)

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about as a whole at the present time. Klachko and Moore are big hits, no doubt, but these types of things happen all the time to every program in the country. Look at LSU, a place that has had far more violations than we, who just lost Tyrann Mathieu because of school violations. He was a Heisman finalist, and now he's riding the pine with an uncertain future.

But, I do share some of your concerns. We've had some seriously bad luck with linemen over the last decade, especially linemen in the last four years. Injuries, transfers, underwhelming performances, unsuspecting and uncertain departures weeks before the season starts, etc. While we could throw this up to the ol' "this happens all the time" thought, I will admit that each of these issues has given me concerns, especially in the last few years. The most telling issue, of course, is that we haven't had a great linemen pass through our university in years. At some point we have to stop blaming it on chance and perhaps looking at the circumstances that have led to our problems.

Klatchko wasn't really quality, that 4*-rating was considerably "juiced-up" and it showed since he got here. This one isn't on staff at all. Green obviously has talent but he wasn't ready for the college game as he thought(refused to shirt) or willing to be patient and earn his spot. Maybe it's possible he could've been cajoled into staying without making guarantees and compromising the team it would very difficult.

Those two are basically bad luck.

So that leaves Moore. Yes he had some frustration/lack of faith in staff, not going to argue that. But the fiance is definitely in his ear and somehow I really doubt he'd have been so unhappy if Barney told him he's a star and handed him the LT job(while being coached the same stuff) rather than riding him like the rest and going with the guy doing the best work in practice. This one is multifactorial, finger can be pointed at both sides.

I'm sad about losing Moore, do think there are things that should be addressed. But this is not part of some grand failure, sometimes a recruit class doesn't work-out as expected.

Perhaps something was wrong with the gears in the machine in prior years, they did some evaluation this off season - and this is the result of getting things realigned? This is completely hypothetical and maybe giving Bo a little too much credit (because I think he is far to stubborn to do this) - but my guess is when he was hired, there was a 6-8 year plan to turn things around. There is zero chance Tom and he thought that it could be done in a few years - and it's certainly not possible to do it all in year 1 without destroying the program. Not at Nebraska. We don't have the recruiting advantage/talent. First phase in that plan was Watson. Keep offensive continuity while improving the defense. Improve the culture. Right the ship. It's possible we are seeing the second phase. Change/restore the culture. Accountability. Create a product not seen at other institutions. While Stanford can sell their education, Nebraska can sell their culture/values. Not everyone is going to align with that. I don't think Moore would have been included in this group...but it's possible some other things he was enduring as part of these changes carried over. Phase 3 might be the youth we are seeing on the staff. Build a staff based on potential and pray it works out. BC gone after this year (a year too late IMO). Brown possibly moving on this year or next. A young, energetic staff unlike at any other school. It changes recruiting. It makes Nebraska unique. It's a huge risk, but if it works out you've got the foundation of a dynasty....similar to how Tom's was built - 8 years of no championship followed by 15 great years w/ staff continuity through the entire run.

...like I said...completely hypothetical. But it'd be nice to think this was all part of a bigger plan.

• Fire 2

Who recruited Tyler Moore in 2011?

Barney was credited w/ a lot of that class mainly because he coached the OL, not because he really recruiting them...I remember someone saying that it was mostly Beck - but at the end of the day he was a legacy and 90% N before we even made an offer. Out of that highly rated OL class credited to BC, Reeves was a Nebraska kid and N on day 1, Moore was a legacy and N on day 1, Sterup was a Nebraska kid and N on day 1, and Price was extremely young and didn't have a lot of other offers. He was recruited for potential. Cotton's big coupe was Klachko that year.