No more two gap Dline- Says Coach K

Wish we could have done this last year with Lavonte runnin' around in the middle. I would have been a lot more comfortable with our line sprinting into the backfield with David cleaning up any shovel pass/quick screen garbage that stems from overpursuit. He was a one man linebacking core. This scheme sounds super fun and whatever else for us fans, but our LB's better come ready to play.

I wonder how this affects our coverage schemes?

If the line does succeed in penetrating the O-line, it can only help the secondary. QBs will have less time to find an open man, or let one get open if the pocket is rapidly collapsing.

Well,no question more success helps the secondary. Was just wondering what going away from read and react meant for our match-zone-whatever for the LBs and the DBs. They are all related, aren't they? if the DL is changing up responsibilities, then the LBs need to play differently, etc.

I love the idea as I said above, but reading some comments got me thinking. It seems that we "bit" on quite a few draws and misdirection last year. Remember some announcers even pointing it out because of our "speed".

Will this "attacking" style lend us to more over pursuit and getting caught out of place? Does this help because we can stuff these style plays before they develop?

IIRC, there was an article that talked about NU really liking the bigger corners because they can come in for much more run support than a "traditionaly" sized corner. This switch of personnel, scheme and recruiting might be the culmination of the whole "process" Bo has spoken about.

With the success Kaz has had as a d-line coach and with putting guys in the NFL, I kept thinking he is going to be a good up grade if he is allowed to teach his same scheme here.

I was surprised when Bo was able to get him. Should be a very good year for the defensive line this year and the coming years.

GBR!!!

What's weird is I just heard some radio guy say this afternoon that Kaz said we weren't changing schemes at all. We were going to do the same thing, just more aggressively.

Whatever, if this is true it's a welcome change. The two-gap scheme worked well enough with Suh and Crick, but with both of them gone a less specialized attack is probably smarter.

Actually I don't think that radio guy is wrong. We're still using it, its just been modified so we move forward to make the first contact rather than play to let the Oline come to us and then try shed the block or force your angle to get to your assignment. It will seem more traditional in a sense because of that. I know there are some times when we will have pre determined guy going here or there but we'll still be keying off the guy in front of us much of the time after contact which is the main idea behind the 2 gap. The place I think we'll see the difference is on the ends as it sounds like they've got a little more freedom from being able to be aggressive.

This should be music to every Husker fans ears!

Pelini's two-gap defense worked very well in the Big 12 with all of the spread offenses. In that conference your d-line had to be a read and react kind of defense with disguised coverages in your back seven.

However, switching to a more attacking defensive line fits Nebraska better in how they want to attack Big 10 offenses, but also it fits just our overall culture as a whole. I think most Nebraska fans would agree that we want a defense that is dictating what the offense can and cannot do, not the other way around.

What I would really like to see in 2012 and hopefully going forward is more use of the Cover 1 Robber defensive scheme. Charlie McBride's defenses of the 1990's used to thrive in this set. Watch some old videos of the defense from those years. The defense would crowd the line of scrimmage, almost always showing a blitz look so that the opposing quarterback never knew who or how many defenders were coming on the blitz...if at all. This would in turn do two things to the quarterback and the offensive line: 1) It obviously pressures them physically post-snap, but 2) It pressures them mentally pre-snap, which very often lead to bad decision making either back the quarterback in who he chooses to throw to, or the offensive line in how they choose their protection.

Nick Saban's Alabama defenses also use this same Robber scheme that Charlie McBride used. Here is a picture to better illustrate this defensive look:

mich_cover1.gif

And finally to get us all pumped up for the season to get started, let's all take a trip down memory lane with the 1990's defenses: :snacks:

(Side note I did not make this video. Credit goes to bledcp08 from YouTube)

:bonesflag: