WR Monte Harrison

Nexus

• 3 weeks later...
Harrison, like Starling a gifted outfielder with elite speed and arm strength, is playing baseball this summer for Marucci Elite, a Louisiana-based national team that travels the country. Norris High senior Jakson Reetz, a Nebraska baseball recruit, also plays for Marucci Elite.

The 6-3, 200-pound Harrison, who intends to play both football and baseball at Nebraska, already looks the part of a big-league player, said Marucci Elite coach Chad Raley.

What's more, Harrison throws 97 mph from the outfield.

"Phenomenal arm strength," Raley said.

The coach envisions Harrison bulking up and being a power/speed outfielder along the lines of Mike Cameron. That's saying a mouthful.

"First and foremost, there aren't too many bodies walking around the planet that look like Monte's," Raley said. "He could potentially be a first- or second-round pick if things start coming together for him.

"He's just got to learn what he's doing at the plate. He swings and misses a lot. His lower half and his top half sometimes get disconnected. But it's all things that athletic kids end up putting together as they start getting better coaching.

LJS Article

First-second rounder?! Sheesh.. quit being so good...This program always loses talented players...

We'll see. I read somewhere else that right now he is expected to be several rounds farther down. It was his coach who said he could be a first- or second-rounder so we'll see. Depends on how well he plays now that he's traveling more.

Really hope he makes it to campus. Looking a lot better than it did before he initially committed.

But to be honest, we cannot compete with $$$$$$$$$$$

Exhibit A: Bubba Starling.

We can't recruit against that 5 million they gave him.

Really hope he makes it to campus. Looking a lot better than it did before he initially committed.

But to be honest, we cannot compete with $$$$$$$$$$$

Exhibit A: Bubba Starling.

We can't recruit against that 5 million they gave him.

As much has I wanted Starling here, and Harrison; if they offer $5 million, you HAVE to take it....

• Fire 1

He's not rated nearly as high as Bubba was. The only person I've seen say he could get drafted on the first two rounds is his coach. I checked out some mock drafts that didn't have him in round 1 or 2. I'm not saying he won't get drafted and bolt, but with the slotting syst in the MLB draft they won't be able to throw $5M at him unless he's one of the first guys drafted.

How does the MLB draft work? Or a better question would be what does it look like I suppose? How far down the pecking order does big money go?

I don't follow baseball so I have no idea, but it seems like anything outside of the first two rounds would have a pretty significant drop-off in dollar signs?

• Fire 1

With all the comparisons to Bubba, I think another good comparison for the sake of perspective is Khiry Cooper. I can't remember what round he was drafted in before coming to NU (4th?), but he was offered a much smaller signing bonus ($200K?)and turned it down to play two sports at NU anyway. And he didn't amount to much in either sport. Turns out Khiry would have been better off taking the money and going to the minors, even though he wasn't offered Bubba money.

This Monte Harrison kid looks awesome, I sure hope he makes it here. But I'm afraid if I was him or his parents, I'd have to strongly consider any number that was offered, no matter what round it was.

Is $200k in the hands of a teenager really "better off" than getting a college education and playing big time college sports? Not so sure about that.

Also, I think the slotted draft structure makes it harder to throw big money at later picks, but it can still happen depending upon what happens with their other picks. I think the Red Sox recently made a substantial offer to one of our baseball signees for this year. Boldt, I think.

Is $200k in the hands of a teenager really "better off" than getting a college education and playing big time college sports? Not so sure about that.

Also, I think the slotted draft structure makes it harder to throw big money at later picks, but it can still happen depending upon what happens with their other picks. I think the Red Sox recently made a substantial offer to one of our baseball signees for this year. Boldt, I think.

No one is better off without furthering their education. But that money, if used correctly, can set them up for a time that they can focus on other things later in life.

I believe years ago when Chris Weinke played at FSU he was given several hundred thousand dollars for a signing bonus. He took that money and invested it into condos somewhere in Florida. He was basically set for life after that and then went to focus on his education at FSU along with playing football.