Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

The ONLY thing that would make this story better is if ESPN went all in to protect their boy and lost a chunk of their audience when it comes out that he really was in on it.

Apparently not.

SportsCenter@SportsCenter

Source tells Deadspin (who first reported Manti Te'o fake girlfriend story) that he's 80% sure Te'o participated in hoax.

Wouldn't make sense anyway. It's better for ratings to report on things that tear people down, just as it is to build people up. They benefit both ways.

What if his parents were in on it, but Manti didn't know? Like they were just trying to get him a ton of publicity to make money off it?

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around.

I'm sure it was too. I'm just thinking of any bizarre ways that Manti could not know she wasn't real.

Just use the Newton defense, talk to my dad I know nothing, it works for everything.

There are a lot of these "Catfish" stories out there and they're pretty much the same, because it's the same pathology.

On the other hand.......

.....assuming he was taken in by a hoax -- and not a willful participant -- Manti would still be selling an impossibly poignant love story to the world and not admitting he'd never actually met the girl, because that would be weird. So our pillar of Morman integrity has actually lied at this point, regardless.

And the article connects too many dots for Manti to be even this embarrassingly clueless, so it probably gets worse. I lept to the gay relationship conclusion. It's gonna sting either way.

Not to get lost in all this: that was some serious journalism by Deadspin.

And it doesn't look so good that the national media did not follow up on this inspirational story in the meaningful kind of way that would ultimately expose it.