Don't you think it's time to forgive Bill Callahan?

Do you think it's time for Husker fans to admit the healing process from 2007 is over and to forgive Bill Callahan for his debacle of a tenure at DONU?

I think the man is unfairly given too bad of a rap by Husker fans. Believe me, he deserves some flak for the collapse of the program, but I disagree when Husker fans state or insinuate he had an ulterior motive in destroying the program on purpose. He wanted to win just as bad, if not more, than the rest of us because his salary was riding on it, he was just bad at doing it. His two biggest downfalls were basically hiring Kevin Cosgrove as DC and marginalizing the tradition of NU. The man could recruit and had a powerful offense. He diminished the walk-on program, which believe me, I love as one of our program cornerstones, but I can see his thinking in trying to focus energy and resources on recruiting big-name blue-chip recruits. He also shut out former players, which won't help your support if you're losing, but if we were winning alot, I suspect most people wouldn't care. Can you think of the program if he had decided to retain Bo Pelini as DC? (I know that was probably unrealistic because Bo probably would've bolted on his own anyway after Steve Pedersen passed him over) ?

I shake my head lately at any Bill Callahan related article here 5 years after his last season. Husker fans, without fail, spit the most venomous comments about him which I think is a poor representation of us as a fan base. Let's just move on since our program has stabilized and be happy for the man in his recent NFL O-line success, I root for him to do well wherever he goes. We should not wish the man ill-will towards his future ventures. Part of the cognitive years of my Husker fandom were in his tenure, and even though we were nowhere good as the '90's I still appreciate many of the Husker memories from that era.

If anything the real target of Husker Nation's anger should be directed toward Steve Pedersen for not hiring Bo the first time back in 2003. He was correct in firing Solich, but the mistake was not hiring Bo and hiring BC. But what was BC supposed to do, refuse the job? Quit after a bad season? No self-respecting coach would do that. He tried, failed, but we're back to relative calm. Ironically it was him hiring a buddy (Coz) which contributed to his downfall. Bo has produced better results making defense the foundation of his program, but a lot of the criticisms toward his failures are that he hires pals over experienced professionals. Just food for thought. I respect the hell out of Bill Callahan as an offensive coach, but not a head coach obviously. I would be the happiest man in America if somehow he came back to NU as O-line coach or O-coordinator.

Never. When he was hired, I really wanted him to succeed here, but by the end of his tenure here, I found myself not caring if the Huskers won or lost because if they kept losing, at least he would get fired. That's a feeling I never should have had, and one I had better never have again.