On 7/17/2013 at 11:07 PM, deedsker said:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/07/24/is-mars-one-serious-about-suicide-mission-to-red-planet/

People making it to Mars before the South Beltway in Lincoln is finished.

http://i.minus.com/i281uFkPLkrWJ.gif

Bas Lansdorp, the 35-year-old founder of Mars One, “We will send humans to Mars in 2023,” he told FoxNews.com. “They will live there the rest of their lives. There will be a habitat waiting for them"

Better hurry up !  Maybe 2043, not 2023 .....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 7:23 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Imagine if earth was as big as Jupiter and all the extra space we would have. 

Only problem is a 200 lb person would weigh 506 lbs on Jupiter and Jupiter spins 27x faster than earth. TBH I don’t know if that would be a problem or not? Sure would be nice if my next door neighbors were further away though.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Only problem is a 200 lb person would weigh 506 lbs on Jupiter and Jupiter spins 27x faster than earth. TBH I don’t know if that would be a problem or not? Sure would be nice if my next door neighbors were further away though.

What do you think "we" know less about...the super deep ocean or space?

With that said, everything I know about the ocean I learned from watching JAWS

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty interesting article on proto-Earth and Theia, the impactor that created the moon. They're theorizing there may be two massive chunks of Theia inside Earth's core.

Remains of impact that created the Moon may lie deep within Earth

Scientists have long agreed that the Moon formed when a protoplanet, called Theia, struck Earth in its infancy some 4.5 billion years ago. Now, a team of scientists has a provocative new proposal: Theia's remains can be found in two continent-size layers of rock buried deep in Earth's mantle.

For decades, seismologists have puzzled over these two blobs, which sit below West Africa and the Pacific Ocean and straddle the core like a pair of headphones. Up to 1000 kilometers tall and several times that wide, "they are the largest thing in the Earth's mantle," says Qian Yuan, a Ph.D. student in geodynamics at Arizona State University (ASU), Tempe. Seismic waves from earthquakes abruptly slow down when they pass through the layers, which suggests they are denser and chemically different from the surrounding mantle rock.

The large low-shear velocity provinces (LLSVPs), as seismologists call them, might simply have crystallized out of the depths of Earth's primordial magma ocean. Or they might be dense puddles of primitive mantle rock that survived the trauma of the Moon-forming impact. But based on new isotopic evidence and modeling, Yuan believes the LLSVPs are the guts of the alien impactor itself. "This crazy idea is at least possible," says Yuan, who presented the hypothesis last week at the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference.

I got to this article from this post on Reddit of simulations of the impact.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...