SIGNED QB Zack Darlington

knapplc

My total guess is he's at least done with high school ball but he comes here with the intention of playing. He'll shirt and wear a green jersey on scout-team next season. Then they'll see what happens when he returns to contact in '15.

Either way I think this program gained a friend for life in Rick Darlington, I imagine we'll have some Apopka kids turned our way in the future. Maybe we get some good will in general in the Orlando high school coaching community.

• Fire 1

Any chance this kid and his dad make it out for the Wyoming game as scheduled for his OV? I bet they move it back since he will only be a week off the concussion.

No, that was never the plan

Not coming to this weeks game

He was considering it but not sure he ever got it scheduled.

My total guess is he's at least done with high school ball but he comes here with the intention of playing. He'll shirt and wear a green jersey on scout-team next season. Then they'll see what happens when he returns to contact in '15.

Either way I think this program gained a friend for life in Rick Darlington, I imagine we'll have some Apopka kids turned our way in the future. Maybe we get some good will in general in the Orlando high school coaching community.

That sounds like the plan. And, what better place for him to be with our new research facility?

Here is an interview with Zack and his dad. Sounds like they will let Zack's progress dictate his future, which is the smart and safe route. He definitely has an audible stutter, a common side-effect of brain injury.

Rick Darlington, Zack's father and Apopka High's head football coach, said Monday that his son will take time off to recover from the head injury, and there is no timetable for when — or whether — the quarterback will ever return.

His football future is definitely up in the air but not his future at Nebraska. Bo is a class act, which has not be lost on the Darlington family.

"I'm not surprised, though ... I knew they'd honor his scholarship, and it's great to hear it out of his mouth," Rick Darlington said of Pelini. "That's awesome. ... It's going to be great for him to get his education paid for and go to a great place and be around great coaches, whether he's a coach or a player."

http://www.orlandose...0,6563458.story

Agree with Rock & Fowler. Zack can't play college football. Even if he recovers from this, another hit like that could damage him permanently. QBs take hits far worse than that in nearly every college game.

Bring him in, get him an education, give him a clipboard and get him started coaching. I'd be terrified if he ever played a snap at this level.

I like the idea of him being brought in and being a helping hand in practices and on the sideline, gives me great pride in knowing our prgram did the right thing here. It will only pay off in the future as parents take notice of what kind of man Bo is.

Thoughts go out to Zack and his family, stay strong kid.

Watching that video of Zack speak is tough to watch (especially as a father). Hopefully he can make a full recovery and be able to live a fruitful and successful life. One of the things I am scared about having my son play football in the future is the fear of brain damage. I know it's rare, but it can happen.