Offense says they got their wake-up call

knapplc

From Mitch Sherman's piece for ESPN:

Planning for success: Nebraska Cornhuskers

“We blew that,” said Martinez, who played most of the second half with a bruised left shoulder. “It’s a huge wakeup call. We can’t let up at any point, no matter how many points we’re up by. We have to be able to finish.”

Beck said he was dumfounded at times in watching film. For instance, the Huskers smoothly executed one play for a nice gain, he said, only to botch the same call minutes later, resulting in a loss of yardage.

Abdullah, the junior who rushed for a team-high 114 yards, spoke passionately to the team after the opener.

“We have a certain standard that we want to hold on this team,” he said. “I felt, personally, that we didn’t play up to that standard.”

They’re searching for nothing short of domination.

"We can talk about it all we want,” Sirles said, “but until we put it out there in front of the whole world to see, it doesn’t matter.”

This is that troubling lack of consistency that has plagued this team the last few years. Beck's line is especially troubling. We cannot let a team like Wyoming dictate to us late in the game.

This team is too passive, from the O Line not road-grading the man in front of them the whole game to the D Line not working hard every play to get off their blocks. Our punt blocking is pretty much nonexistent.

Overall we play too passive, allowing the opponent to dictate too much to us in all three phases of the game. These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there.

• Fire 1

From Mitch Sherman's piece for ESPN:

Planning for success: Nebraska Cornhuskers

“We blew that,” said Martinez, who played most of the second half with a bruised left shoulder. “It’s a huge wakeup call. We can’t let up at any point, no matter how many points we’re up by. We have to be able to finish.”

Beck said he was dumfounded at times in watching film. For instance, the Huskers smoothly executed one play for a nice gain, he said, only to botch the same call minutes later, resulting in a loss of yardage.

Abdullah, the junior who rushed for a team-high 114 yards, spoke passionately to the team after the opener.

“We have a certain standard that we want to hold on this team,” he said. “I felt, personally, that we didn’t play up to that standard.”

They’re searching for nothing short of domination.

"We can talk about it all we want,” Sirles said, “but until we put it out there in front of the whole world to see, it doesn’t matter.”

"These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there."

:yeah GBR!!!

I'll change the tune in this thread. I'm happy to ear this. The offense knows they are lethal, but they can't go through the motions. I don't mind this little kick in the teeth. First game is better time than ever.

Agreed. Let's see what they do this Sat. and next. The Wyoming game might have helped this team a great deal.

This is that troubling lack of consistency that has plagued this team the last few years. Beck's line is especially troubling. We cannot let a team like Wyoming dictate to us late in the game.

This team is too passive, from the O Line not road-grading the man in front of them the whole game to the D Line not working hard every play to get off their blocks. Our punt blocking is pretty much nonexistent.

Overall we play too passive, allowing the opponent to dictate too much to us in all three phases of the game. These coaches need to get let these guys loose, to play with aggression and passion. Too much workman-like drudgery out there.

Pretty sure our punt blocking is supposed to be nonexistent. The new scheme we went to is designed to spread the other team out so they can't rush very many guys and let the three upbacks clean up the mess. The seven guys on the line are free to run and cover the punt.

Wasn't this the main problem that everyone had with the Cosgrove "read and react" i.e. "get punched in the face and figure out how to respond" defense? I thought we were supposed to be passed this by now...

Pretty sure our punt blocking is supposed to be nonexistent. The new scheme we went to is designed to spread the other team out so they can't rush very many guys and let the three upbacks clean up the mess. The seven guys on the line are free to run and cover the punt.

It would help if I could English correctly. I meant our punt rush/pressure, not our blocking scheme when we are punting.

Wasn't this the main problem that everyone had with the Cosgrove "read and react" i.e. "get punched in the face and figure out how to respond" defense? I thought we were supposed to be passed this by now...

People had many problems with Cosgrove. It wasn't one I adhered to, so I can't speak to it.

In the end the man could do nothing right. People probably had a problem with which shoe he tied first in the morning. It's likely that was an issue they had with him, too.

If Bo doesn't get this figured out this year, and we have the same problems and mistakes throughout this season and into next, he's going to find out how Cosgrove felt circa 2007.