The "Name your new head coach" thread megamerge

Monte Kiffin - If you fire Bo and hire Monte, you have the exact same defensive scheme pretty much with that Tampa Two Monte runs. Someone more X's and O's knowledgable can correct me there if I am wrong about the similarities between the two schemes.

I don't claim to have any sort of advanced Xs & Os knowledge, but you're wrong.

At least as far as being the exact same scheme. The obvious differences are Kiffin's defensive line run 1-gap exclusively and the back 7 are mostly in zone coverage. Both of which are basically the exact opposite of Pelini's scheme. And I don't remember the last time I saw one of Bo's MLBs drop deep into coverage.

Either way, I think Kiffin is satisfied with being an NFL coordinator for the twilight of his coaching career. But I'd be on board if he brought Marinelli along with him. I can't help but think Gregory, and maybe even Valentine would be top 5 picks under Marinelli's tutelage.

You are right. Mistook Kiffin's scheme for the Tampa Two which isn't his defense although he coached it for years. http://www.footballtimes.org/Printer.asp?ID=167

And the scheme he actually appears he wants to run, or "his" scheme.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/29/3929390/dallas-cowboys-inside-monte-kiffin-playbook-philosophies-tampa-2

Good call.

Money won't be an issue, the committment to win by the University is already there. But by all means, lets just wildly dismiss coaches as unattainable. Intelligent.

Wildly? Don't believe so.

What would pull Hugh Freeze from a school in the SEC that he's recruited to very well and has a very young and talented team? What would pull a guy out of that talent Rich of an area to Nebraska??? It wouldn't make sense for him to do.

Dabo Swinney. Same thing. What pulls him from a job like Clemson to a place that is further away from the talent when you are hours away from Florida, Georgia, and you are in South Carolina?

Chris Peterson. We've been over this. He was offered a blank check to go to UCLA. He chose to stay at Boise State. UCLA is an easier job than Nebraska and quite frankly, it is a better job.

It would make zero sense for any of the above coaches to leave their current gig for a lateral move to NU.

As I've stated, if we go through a coaching change, I feel many Husker fans will be humbled by the experience.

Westwood is a good job, but it isn't better than NU. NU may not be a Top 5 job anymore, but I would strongly argue it is in the 10-15 range. UCLA is inching back up there, and maybe there in a couple of years if Mora continues the trend, but it isn't a Top 10-15 job IMO.

Money won't be an issue, the committment to win by the University is already there. But by all means, lets just wildly dismiss coaches as unattainable. Intelligent.

Wildly? Don't believe so.

What would pull Hugh Freeze from a school in the SEC that he's recruited to very well and has a very young and talented team? What would pull a guy out of that talent Rich of an area to Nebraska??? It wouldn't make sense for him to do.

Dabo Swinney. Same thing. What pulls him from a job like Clemson to a place that is further away from the talent when you are hours away from Florida, Georgia, and you are in South Carolina?

Chris Peterson. We've been over this. He was offered a blank check to go to UCLA. He chose to stay at Boise State. UCLA is an easier job than Nebraska and quite frankly, it is a better job.

It would make zero sense for any of the above coaches to leave their current gig for a lateral move to NU.

As I've stated, if we go through a coaching change, I feel many Husker fans will be humbled by the experience.

Freeze--Not a money issue. Its a timing issue. The guy has been there what? Two years tops? He seems to recruit well, but God only knows how that translates to the Big Ten and to NU, (I won't get into recruiting dirty pool, because that's everywhere, including here)

I don't think anyone here is after Dabo Sweeney.

Chris Peterson may have said no to UCLA after a blank check or he may not have. UCLA is not the cash-rich program its thought to be. The UC system is strapped for cash and faces huge political blowback on hiring big $ football coaches. Look at Cal, they went slumming with Sonny Dykes for that same reason.

Further, UCLA ain't all its cracked up to be. Its a great school in a beautiful area, but they play their home games an hour away. And a hellish, nasty, soul crushing traffic jam of an hour at that. And they're in the midst of redoing all their facilities as well too. They won't be able to keep Mora there. USC is the far better attraction and with more money.

And again, Boise St to here isn't lateral. Regardless of past BCS success, the Nebraska job would be a graduation to a major conference with A list facilities and money. Boise does not have that. Its a great town, and he built a winner, but its similarites to LIncoln plus Lincoln's advantages with facilities would be very advantageous in getting guys he wants to come. And he may be a CA guy, but I assure you the part of California where he's from is far, FAR more similar to Lincoln Nebraska than Westwood ever is. And, NU could pay him. Handsomely.

It isn't out of the realm that he would listen to Nebraska. Or come here, in my opinion.

• Fire 2

Anyone that takes off their rose colored glasses that can't see that UCLA is an easier and better job than ours I don't think understands, ) They are basically within an hour of a lot of the prospects that we go after and have beaten us out for kids for years basically due to location. Plus, you have better weather and you aren't far from Arizona which is also full of talent. You wouldn't have to go more than 500 miles for a recruit ever unless you chose to. Also, your leash is much longer than what you'd have at Nebraska. Many less natural disadvantages than Nebraska.

Chris Peterson? You could approach him and he could always say no. After he turned down the UCLA job I predicted that he would never leave Boise and I stick by that. But the arguments as to why he'd come here you could also make for UCLA. Minus what NUPolo said about Lincoln being more similar to his natural environment than LA being which is more of a valid point than anything I've heard so far.

The classic "We are Nebraska so we can get anybody we want," isn't the case anymore. Schools have caught up to us in basically every area. There are teams with just as good a facilities in terms of weight room, etc as us and there are just as historic stadiums as ours in our own conference.

Does anyone remember our 2003 coaching search??? It was an embarrassment watching Pedey beg people to take the job.

If we do start a coaching search, prepare to be humbled. We will not get an A-list guy. The only thing we really have to attract a top candidate is a competitive salary over other schools. At best, we are just like every other job.

No more coordinators. This is not a learn on the job place.

Yes, that includes Frost.

We should be hiring an experienced head coach who will bring in experienced coordinators.

I'd love to hire a guy with a proven track record as a HC even if that means he's a little known Div II coach with a solid system, a willingness to put a full-scale effort into recruiting, and talented assistants that are willing to come with him as a package I'm all for it.

Have I got a Head Coach for you!

I think we should take a serious look at George O'Leary. I heard he graduated from NYU-Stony Brook. Not just any numbnuts makes it through that level of education.

No not that guy

Anyone that takes off their rose colored glasses that can't see that UCLA is an easier and better job than ours I don't think understands, ) They are basically within an hour of a lot of the prospects that we go after and have beaten us out for kids for years basically due to location. Plus, you have better weather and you aren't far from Arizona which is also full of talent. You wouldn't have to go more than 500 miles for a recruit ever unless you chose to. Also, your leash is much longer than what you'd have at Nebraska. Many less natural disadvantages than Nebraska.

Chris Peterson? You could approach him and he could always say no. After he turned down the UCLA job I predicted that he would never leave Boise and I stick by that. But the arguments as to why he'd come here you could also make for UCLA. Minus what NUPolo said about Lincoln being more similar to his natural environment than LA being which is more of a valid point than anything I've heard so far.

The classic "We are Nebraska so we can get anybody we want," isn't the case anymore. Schools have caught up to us in basically every area. There are teams with just as good a facilities in terms of weight room, etc as us and there are just as historic stadiums as ours in our own conference.

Does anyone remember our 2003 coaching search??? It was an embarrassment watching Pedey beg people to take the job.

If we do start a coaching search, prepare to be humbled. We will not get an A-list guy. The only thing we really have to attract a top candidate is a competitive salary over other schools. At best, we are just like every other job.

UCLA is a good job. A great job even. But it's not "easier" or "better" than Nebraska.

The commitment to winning and the subsequent money spent at Nebraska is far better than UCLA. That's not an opinion, that is a researchable fact. UCLA's close proximity to all if these wonderful recruits is overblown considering modern times where these kids are nationally recruited, and being from the west coast, are a lot more accessible and easier to break free from their home area than an SEC kid.

And to that point, Petersen never had much of a problem getting guys he wanted to go to Boise, (who's weather makes Lincoln look downright balmy), and to buy into their system.

To say nothing of the fact that Nebraska's history ( with the exception of this year) dwarfs UCLA.

Stop saying this isn't a destination job compared to UCLA. It's patently false, regardless of how bad Pedersen handled things in 03

Why does everyone think Nebraska's history makes it a coaching oasis? Wake up people. It's been more than a decade since we've won anything worthwhile or made any type of "splash" nationally. Recruits don't see Nebraska as the Nebraska anymore, and neither do coaches.

EZ is right on the money on this one. There are going to be a lot of disappointed fans on this board when they realize we don't have a long line of coaches banging down our door for the HC job.

Not saying Pelini should stay necessarily, just that some of the coaches on these lists are mere pipe dreams.

• Fire 1

UCLA is a good job. A great job even. But it's not "easier" or "better" than Nebraska.

The commitment to winning and the subsequent money spent at Nebraska is far better than UCLA. That's not an opinion, that is a researchable fact. UCLA's close proximity to all if these wonderful recruits is overblown considering modern times where these kids are nationally recruited, and being from the west coast, are a lot more accessible and easier to break free from their home area than an SEC kid.

And to that point, Petersen never had much of a problem getting guys he wanted to go to Boise, (who's weather makes Lincoln look downright balmy), and to buy into their system.

To say nothing of the fact that Nebraska's history ( with the exception of this year) dwarfs UCLA.

Stop saying this isn't a destination job compared to UCLA. It's patently false, regardless of how bad Pedersen handled things in 03

I have family in Boise and I stayed there for a summer. The weather in Boise does not make Lincoln anything close to balmy. You have summers without humidity and winters that aren't completely bone-chilling. It's that way throughout that region also down into Utah. The absence of humidity makes the summers so much more bearable than here. Chris Peterson isn't leaving Boise. That has been my stance for awhile and I stick by it. If my prediction is wrong, I'll be the first to tell you. If we go coach shopping, should we approach him? Absolutely. The worst that happens is he says no.

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-spend-most-money-football-team-2012-1/1-auburn-25

Interesting to see the schools ahead of us and behind us on that list.

Are you honestly going to tell me that location doesn't make a difference in recruiting? I wish you were right but that is flat out not the case. Sure kids are nationally recruited, but that doesn't change the fact that recruiting is a lot easier when the talent is in your backyard. We have missed on a lot of quality players because of location. That isn't up for debate.

Bottom line, with the very (almost unreasonable at times) expectations at NU and it's built in recruiting disadvantages it makes a lot of jobs easier and better than ours. Schools like aTm and UCLA come to mind when saying that. At either school you wouldn't be in the constant shadow of two legends and you'd never draw those comparisons. I hate to break anyone's heart, it's just the case. We aren't as attractive as schools in talent rich recruiting areas or where you aren't constantly under a microscope. Sure we have a rich tradition. Sure we have top level facilities. Sure we could pay them money. I personally don't think that will be enough for a top level guy to want to commit career suicide and risk not living up to our fanbase's standards.

If USC and (possibly) Texas go on the hunt this year a top level coach is going to be very difficult if not impossible to pull.

If changes are made, you are running a huge risk.

• Fire 1