Becks comments

Stupid to make a comment like that, we might not be the best fans in terms of how easy we are on the players and coaches from time to time, but we also show up to every single game, sell the place out and make the athletic department as profitable as it is. Can't wait until Beck is gone.........

We sell out. But if you've gone to home games this year you know we don't always show up. I would guess the student section will be 1/2 empty Friday. I'll take a picture. I haven't sat in my own seats yet this year but have been to two games and its never felt full. The one I took my girls to (ILL) I had three empties beside me and two right in front. We had lots of extra space.

the only upside of empty seats is me being 6'4 240, I fit into 2 seats better when there is some room!!!

It is sad that many of the coaches are so thinned skinned. Man up a bit. Coaching for a few million dollars beats the crap out of digging coal or artificially inseminating thorough bred horse. I do not like the idea that parents are complaining as well, but as i sit behind the sideline- primarily the early part of the year- there did not seem to be much heart coming from our team. Husker fans are a rapid sort (each program deals with this), but for the coaches to continue us vs them mentality in the locker room etc... is just nuts. Builds a lot of ill will around the program. Continue to cater to the 98% sane bunch of fans and everything would be fine.

• Fire 1

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

He absolutely has. From the coaches to the towel boys. Rather than bothering to try and build good will with the fans, he's taken shots at them. It's not smart from a PR move, and definitely doesn't give yourself any leeway when a season doesn't turn out the way everyone had hoped.

I am 100% convinced that his hot seat would be a lot cooler if he would think before he spoke.

this is whats hilarious about this staff. Has every other coach spoutted off about their fans? yes. Does every other coach have to deal with a$$hole fans? yes. but what you don't see from everyone other coach is an f bomb laden audio tape, quotes like, "contrary to what you believe, i haven't forgot how to stop the run" or jabs like this from Beck. This is how or moronic this staff truly is when it comes running a big boy football program. I'm sorry, but call it what it is. The staff needed to grow up about two years ago and stop whining. Seriously, all Beck had to say was that Taylor has given everything to this program and i'm sure the fans can appreciate that. period.

"Do you know what a loop scheme is? I didn't think so."--Will Muschamp to media

See Mike Gundy tirade.

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

He absolutely has. From the coaches to the towel boys. Rather than bothering to try and build good will with the fans, he's taken shots at them. It's not smart from a PR move, and definitely doesn't give yourself any leeway when a season doesn't turn out the way everyone had hoped.

I am 100% convinced that his hot seat would be a lot cooler if he would think before he spoke.

this is whats hilarious about this staff. Has every other coach spoutted off about their fans? yes. Does every other coach have to deal with a$$hole fans? yes. but what you don't see from everyone other coach is an f bomb laden audio tape, quotes like, "contrary to what you believe, i haven't forgot how to stop the run" or jabs like this from Beck. This is how or moronic this staff truly is when it comes running a big boy football program. I'm sorry, but call it what it is. The staff needed to grow up about two years ago and stop whining. Seriously, all Beck had to say was that Taylor has given everything to this program and i'm sure the fans can appreciate that. period.

Will Muschamp: a successful defensive coordinator with no previous head coach experience that is in over his head and cant figure out how to beat Georgia Southern when they don't complete one pass the entire game. Not the guy you want your head coach at NU being compared to. I hope the Florida media roasts Muschamp for this because its probably one of the last things he will say as h.c.

• Fire 1

It is sad that many of the coaches are so thinned skinned. Man up a bit. Coaching for a few million dollars beats the crap out of digging coal or artificially inseminating thorough bred horse. I do not like the idea that parents are complaining as well, but as i sit behind the sideline- primarily the early part of the year- there did not seem to be much heart coming from our team. Husker fans are a rapid sort (each program deals with this), but for the coaches to continue us vs them mentality in the locker room etc... is just nuts. Builds a lot of ill will around the program. Continue to cater to the 98% sane bunch of fans and everything would be fine.

I don't think coaches or players are thin skinned. But if you hear continually that someone is bad, sucks, etc even if it isn't true or its a degree of truth the human mind starts to weaken. You start to question and believe the negative. Its worked in the media all the time to create false perceptions. Just look at our own govt and the perception of the team and coaches here. Your views will be different the further away from Omaha that you get. Its just now starting to trickle out to central Nebraska to the level it has been in Omaha for the past 2 years.

See Mike Gundy tirade.

Maybe its me, but i liked the Gundy tirade. for me, it really came off as him defending his player to the media, not the fans. i just didn't have a problem with Gundy unless i missed something.

Maybe no other coach has had an audio tape like that. Maybe no other coach is dealing with anonymous punks with an axe to grind.

Maybe he takes some jabs. Tell me the Nebraska media doesn't do the same thing to him. Osborne did the same thing. He just had the "aw shucks" demeanor about him that would diffuse the situation.

The "anonymous punk" line always makes me chuckle too. Who cares who taped it? He said it, and if you don't think he meant it, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Fire 3

Maybe no other coach has had an audio tape like that. Maybe no other coach is dealing with anonymous punks with an axe to grind.

Maybe he takes some jabs. Tell me the Nebraska media doesn't do the same thing to him. Osborne did the same thing. He just had the "aw shucks" demeanor about him that would diffuse the situation.

The "anonymous punk" line always makes me chuckle too. Who cares who taped it? He said it, and if you don't think he meant it, I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't care if he meant it or not. But if you think that he is the only coach to have uttered those words about fans, I have a bridge to sell YOU.

• Fire 1

So are you trying to say that Bo's actions are acceptable because the media takes jabs at Bo and that its just a bigger deal because Bo doesn't use the "aw shucks" approach?

Let me ask you a question...do you think Bo Pelini would have said what he said in front of the entire media?

Let me ask you a question...do you think Bo Pelini would have said what he said in front of the entire media?

That is really neither here nor there. If I'm talking to my buddy and say that I hate my wife, and she overhears me, I don't think saying "But I didn't mean for you to hear that!" or "I would have never said that if I had known you were listening!" is going to make it better.

• Fire 3

I think it's important to realize that Nebraska is really no different than any other fan base when you look at the reasonable/idiot fan ratio. If you look at the overall picture, though, we do have the best fans in college football. Look - we haven't won a conference title in 14 years. Guess how many games we've sold out in the time span? Every. Single. One. The support and passion for this football program is truthfully unparalleled in the country.

I wish fans didn't tweet at players/coaches, but they do. I wish the coaches more aptly handled the negativity, because often, people that are pissed off are much louder than the group of people that aren't. That said, that's why you make hundreds of thousands (and millions) of dollars. This is what you sign up for when you coach a division one football program.

• Fire 1

So are you trying to say that Bo's actions are acceptable because the media takes jabs at Bo and that its just a bigger deal because Bo doesn't use the "aw shucks" approach?

I am not sure that I can say they are acceptable to everyone. To me, I have zero problems with what he has said. I think some of his comments are misguided but not fireable.

I have seen or heard of those piss poor fans who have tweeted repulsive remarks but the kids are in the public eye and know that a few ignorant A$$holes don't represent the majority of us. These kids are tougher than that and have to be able to take those few remarks and be able to dismiss them as the exception rather than the rule. If they can't, then they shouldn't read twitter or boards. The real World is not kind and there are A$$holes everywhere and they will be dealing with those things throughout. It doesn't make it right but in the same token, you can't put them in a bubble. Not sure what else to say but I think a majority of them have a thicker skin than what some think and if they don't they need to develop it for their own sake!

The parents of the student athletes I sit around feel quite the opposite and although their hair may get bristled with an occasional fan comment, they know this is not isolated to Nebraska. As for the types of comments you refer too, (getting better at blocking or better shape) listen to the radio and those types of comments are always on there because people are trying to figure out if our conditioning program has faltered over the years and if the teachings they are getting from coaches is preparing them to be the best they can be. This is also why you are hearing on the radio that people are wondering if live full speed practices a couple of days during the prep week would better prepare the kids for game time rather than the (No Contact or light contact prep)? Some feel that this is why we have so many turnovers?

Again; it doesn't make it right but this is not isolated to Nebraska!

So the players and coaches are supposed to have great relationships with our fans but have to ignore interacting with them because the fans are going to talk them down.

Basically the players and coaches are expected to be models of virtue even if the fans are acting like jerks. Makes sense.

Reading this thread makes me think I'm possibly the only person who reads other teams' message boards and/or blogs.

We are tame compared to most. There are message boards out there that became so toxic they had to ban all criticism of the players and coaches. Recruits have taken notice and teams have had to work that much harder to get them to commit. Nebraska Fan on Message Board X is no worse than any other prominent fan base out there.

I love our players but if they're counting down the days until they get out of Nebraska because of the fans, they're not indicting Nebraska Fan, they're indicting the culture of college football. There's a fishbowl effect with these players - they don't have the time we have to dig into message boards and blog posts around college football like a fan does, so I get that they're reacting to what they see/hear here at Nebraska, but it is no better, and often very much worse, in other programs.

The bottom line is, there is no other school of a stature of Nebraska to which these players could go where they would not face criticism, get tweeted at by asshats, or in general deal with sh#t from the fans, in the stands or walking down the street.

The grass is not greener anywhere else. It's just different grass.

EDIT - I thought this all sounded a bit familiar. I covered the fan/team relationship a month ago. LINK

EDIT II - Bear in mind as I post that and link to my former post, I'm still dealing with the sinus infection I contracted after yelling myself hoarse at the Michigan State game. And I'll be there Friday, yelling myself hoarse again, whether I'm healed up or not. It's not about being against the players. There are just realities they have to deal with. This is big-time football, and it's a big-time stage. Beck and Bell chose to come here. And it wouldn't be any different at any other program with Nebraska's stature.

• Fire 2