Becks comments

I think that sums up what I've thought for a while (but put into words better than I seem to be able to do). The bottom line is Husker fans want to love thier coach. They really do. All the coach has to do is let them feel that they are part of the program and not the enemy and the leash gets exponenitally longer.

Not even close to being true.

Reading this thread makes me think I'm possibly the only person who reads other teams' message boards and/or blogs.

We are tame compared to most. There are message boards out there that became so toxic they had to ban all criticism of the players and coaches. Recruits have taken notice and teams have had to work that much harder to get them to commit. Nebraska Fan on Message Board X is no worse than any other prominent fan base out there.

I love our players but if they're counting down the days until they get out of Nebraska because of the fans, they're not indicting Nebraska Fan, they're indicting the culture of college football. There's a fishbowl effect with these players - they don't have the time we have to dig into message boards and blog posts around college football like a fan does, so I get that they're reacting to what they see/hear here at Nebraska, but it is no better, and often very much worse, in other programs.

The bottom line is, there is no other school of a stature of Nebraska to which these players could go where they would not face criticism, get tweeted at by asshats, or in general deal with sh#t from the fans, in the stands or walking down the street.

The grass is not greener anywhere else. It's just different grass.

EDIT - I thought this all sounded a bit familiar. I covered the fan/team relationship a month ago. LINK

EDIT II - Bear in mind as I post that and link to my former post, I'm still dealing with the sinus infection I contracted after yelling myself hoarse at the Michigan State game. And I'll be there Friday, yelling myself hoarse again, whether I'm healed up or not. It's not about being against the players. There are just realities they have to deal with. This is big-time football, and it's a big-time stage. Beck and Bell chose to come here. And it wouldn't be any different at any other program with Nebraska's stature.

I agree. I occasionally read other boards, and the hatred is ridiculous. I live in Michigan, and the stuff on local radio right now about Michigan, their coaches and players is much worse than anything I have every heard from NU fans or media.

Yes and no.

You are correct that I haven't looked into any other message boards. But I'd be curious about the relationship between winning and how many/bad the comments are. I doubt there are nearly as many at Alabama. There would likely be a lot more right now at Florida, Michigan, Texas, etc. because of how their seasons are going (although Texas seems to be better of late). But we are also not 4-7 coming off 7-6 two years ago like Florida. We aren't 3-4 in conference like Michigan and are farther removed from Callahan than they are from RichRod. We aren't three years removed from 5-7 like Texas who has been worse than us record wise since then.

While obviously not as top-end successful as we would all like, we've been winning like only a few other programs have over the last six years. Yet, people have been wanting the coaches to go for at least three years. And people are happy when the guy who re-wrote the record books gets injured and can't play any more. I can see where that would lead to a worse reaction from the team than we'd like to see.

I don't see much being aimed at NU players. The coaches seem to get most of the complaints from the NU fan base IMO.

This is very disturbing-yet again-for someone like me who, up until some additional meltdowns this year, has unconditionally supported Bo. I've been on the fence with him for the second half of this year, based solely on on-field issues. I've always stuck up for his off-field antics (if that's what you would call it-maybe not the right word) and tried to see them with some perspective. But these continuing comments from the staff is really getting me. I understand they feel like the seat is hot and I understand that, but you have to continue to embrace this place to the fullest extent. They dont appear to understand that team/fan relationship here at Nebraska is probably more important than anywhere. I heard from a little birdie that when Bo addressed the team about the rumors last week that one of the things he said was that they need to learn how to ignore the comments from lots fans, for it always seems that the negative 5% is always the loudest, and that it's not like that just here. That's what I heard. But then his assistants turn around the make comments (Kaz made some sort of comment after the Penn St game as well) that seem to antagonize the fanbase as a whole. This just disturbs. I dont know nothing anymore, that maybe it is time for a change. Maybe it is time to get someone who's ready to embrace everything Nebraska and has the mental capacity to kick aside everything that is negative. Yes, the football Tim Miles. Perception and attitude is everything these days. As much as it drives me nuts that we really cant act ourselves at all times, it is the way it is.

I agree other than I'm not sure 5% is right. Just judging from the people on this board it seems to be fairly close to 50/50.

It's a difference in the perception of "negative" between me and you. When I say negative, I mean total douschbag, ignorant, sh#t spewing peices of sh#t. We have numerous posters that I guess are seen as negative, I dont put them in that 5% category. They just relay what are legit concerns and disappointments that I also tend to argue with. But theyre not in the 5% that you see on twitter berating Kenny Bell after that Minnesota game. That's the 5%. And for some reason, the coaches continually make public comments that feel like theyre putting all of us in that category.

Reading this thread makes me think I'm possibly the only person who reads other teams' message boards and/or blogs.

We are tame compared to most. There are message boards out there that became so toxic they had to ban all criticism of the players and coaches. Recruits have taken notice and teams have had to work that much harder to get them to commit. Nebraska Fan on Message Board X is no worse than any other prominent fan base out there.

I love our players but if they're counting down the days until they get out of Nebraska because of the fans, they're not indicting Nebraska Fan, they're indicting the culture of college football. There's a fishbowl effect with these players - they don't have the time we have to dig into message boards and blog posts around college football like a fan does, so I get that they're reacting to what they see/hear here at Nebraska, but it is no better, and often very much worse, in other programs.

The bottom line is, there is no other school of a stature of Nebraska to which these players could go where they would not face criticism, get tweeted at by asshats, or in general deal with sh#t from the fans, in the stands or walking down the street.

The grass is not greener anywhere else. It's just different grass.

EDIT - I thought this all sounded a bit familiar. I covered the fan/team relationship a month ago. LINK

EDIT II - Bear in mind as I post that and link to my former post, I'm still dealing with the sinus infection I contracted after yelling myself hoarse at the Michigan State game. And I'll be there Friday, yelling myself hoarse again, whether I'm healed up or not. It's not about being against the players. There are just realities they have to deal with. This is big-time football, and it's a big-time stage. Beck and Bell chose to come here. And it wouldn't be any different at any other program with Nebraska's stature.

Yep. You wouldn't believe the stuff I used to hear on the radio about Vince Dooley, Pat Dye etc. growing up. Waaaaay before social media. Total unhinged lunatics 24/7. I just never recall a staff lashing out so repeatedly at fans. Once again not media, fans. If Pelini believes those souls who welcomed the team home after the Minn loss were the vast majority of fans as he told his son, why have your staff out there making blanket statements like this?

It just plain dumb

• Fire 1

This is very disturbing-yet again-for someone like me who, up until some additional meltdowns this year, has unconditionally supported Bo. I've been on the fence with him for the second half of this year, based solely on on-field issues. I've always stuck up for his off-field antics (if that's what you would call it-maybe not the right word) and tried to see them with some perspective. But these continuing comments from the staff is really getting me. I understand they feel like the seat is hot and I understand that, but you have to continue to embrace this place to the fullest extent. They dont appear to understand that team/fan relationship here at Nebraska is probably more important than anywhere. I heard from a little birdie that when Bo addressed the team about the rumors last week that one of the things he said was that they need to learn how to ignore the comments from lots fans, for it always seems that the negative 5% is always the loudest, and that it's not like that just here. That's what I heard. But then his assistants turn around the make comments (Kaz made some sort of comment after the Penn St game as well) that seem to antagonize the fanbase as a whole. This just disturbs. I dont know nothing anymore, that maybe it is time for a change. Maybe it is time to get someone who's ready to embrace everything Nebraska and has the mental capacity to kick aside everything that is negative. Yes, the football Tim Miles. Perception and attitude is everything these days. As much as it drives me nuts that we really cant act ourselves at all times, it is the way it is.

I agree other than I'm not sure 5% is right. Just judging from the people on this board it seems to be fairly close to 50/50.

It's a difference in the perception of "negative" between me and you. When I say negative, I mean total douschbag, ignorant, sh#t spewing peices of sh#t. We have numerous posters that I guess are seen as negative, I dont put them in that 5% category. They just rely what are legit concerns and disappointments that I also tend to argue with. But theyre not in the 5% that you see on twitter berating Kenny Bell after that Minnesota game. That's the 5%. And for some reason, the coaches continually make public comments that feel like theyre putting all of us in that category.

This is what I also see and think. ↑

There is a huge difference between those of us who criticize things we see need work than those who feel the need to berate the kids via twitter or elsewhere. As for the coaching staff, come on, if their feelings are hurt from Husker fans, they better hope this is the last job they have because it can and will be a lot worse in other venues!

every fan base is hard on their coaches, I think Balema at Arkansas or one of his staff had their car egged last week after losing. Texas/ISU on shaggy bevo game discussion was basically texass fan rooting iowa state on to beat texas so mack would be fired...never thought id see the day when texas fan would be mad about how their opponent got jobbed at the end of the game and TEXAS won?!?!...its everywhere, I think its way worse than Lincoln in a lot of places by a mile..in texas it probably should be with the recruiting access they have in texas(got my TU dig in!).. bottom line, the better you get paid and the more "out there" you are , the thicker skin you have to have...you should have better context and a deeper understanding to be comfortable and rise above it all...

I don't care if he meant it or not. But if you think that he is the only coach to have uttered those words about fans, I have a bridge to sell YOU.

I don't get this. "Other people do it too!" And that somehow makes it acceptable?

I've seen this with respect to punt returns as well. "See! Even the Broncos had trouble fielding punts!" So we shouldn't bother? That doesn't make any sense.

it seems that Bo has nutured an "us against the fans" mentality with the team. add in tape gate and i can understand how the relationship got to this point.

He absolutely has. From the coaches to the towel boys. Rather than bothering to try and build good will with the fans, he's taken shots at them. It's not smart from a PR move, and definitely doesn't give yourself any leeway when a season doesn't turn out the way everyone had hoped.

I am 100% convinced that his hot seat would be a lot cooler if he would think before he spoke.

It's always hilarious to me to read the amount of butthurt over a newspaper article. "DIRK IS MEAN!!!"

It amazes me how butt-hurt posters get about what some coach say's or doesn't say. see how that works!

Waaaaaaa that coach said something bad about us fans waaaaaaaaaa :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :facepalm:

I don't care if he meant it or not. But if you think that he is the only coach to have uttered those words about fans, I have a bridge to sell YOU.

I don't get this. "Other people do it too!" And that somehow makes it acceptable?

I've seen this with respect to punt returns as well. "See! Even the Broncos had trouble fielding punts!" So we shouldn't bother? That doesn't make any sense.

I think that is apples and oranges.

• Fire 1