GameDay coming to Lincoln ........ maybe

Mavric

Is the college football barometer of national relevance making its way back to Lincoln, Nebraska? Yes. Maybe. Stay tuned.

Chris Fowler, host of ESPN “College GameDay,” was in Omaha last week as the guest speaker of the Christ the King sports banquet. According to two people who attended the function, Fowler said “GameDay” would be in Lincoln on Sept. 20 when the Miami Hurricanes come to town.

Fowler couldn't be reached for comment, but Keri Potts, ESPN's senior vice president for public relations, responded on Monday that “GameDay” sites aren't selected until the summer or announced until August.

We'll assume that game, then, is on Fowler's wish list. It would be “GameDay's” first trip to Lincoln since the USC game in 2007. Anybody remember that one?

If that happens, ESPN would choose Lincoln over the Clemson at Florida State game. Maybe the names Miami-Nebraska still hold some clout.

OWH Article

#relevant

I don't ever watch this particular program. I guess I'd feel obligated if Nebraska was featured.

I don't either, but TONS of people do. This would be fantastic publicity for our program.

If they came, I wonder if they would set up on the field again, or if they would maybe do it in the open area outside of new East stadium?

Even if I was the most loyal SEC homer, if I was a true fan of the game, I would want a change of scenery of time to time and make a point to visit the major venues of college football. Everyone knows that Nebraska = big ratings and a huge fanbase, so if they have an opportunity to bring GameDay to Lincoln, they definitely should. Nebraska is among the royalty of college football whether we are contending for championships or not.

I'm not a big fan of ESPN and have not watched GameDay for several years, but it only makes sense that they would want to get around a little more often and make a visit to Memorial Stadium again.

• Fire 4
Even if I was the most loyal SEC homer, if I was a true fan of the game, I would want a change of scenery of time to time and make a point to visit the major venues of college football. Everyone knows that Nebraska = big ratings and a huge fanbase, so if they have an opportunity to bring GameDay to Lincoln, they definitely should. Nebraska is among the royalty of college football whether we are contending for championships or not.

I'm not a big fan of ESPN and have not watched GameDay for several years, but it only makes sense that they would want to get around a little more often and make a visit to Memorial Stadium again.

This

October 23, 2010: A GameDay attendance record was set in Columbia, Missouri at the University of Missouri; ESPN estimated over 18,000 fans turned out

That's from Wikipedia. I thought we had a larger turnout than that but I could be mistaken.

I could have sworn that in 2001 we had more people than that for the Oklahoma game. They set up GameDay in one of the stadium tunnels, about a third of the stadium behind was full (or seemed that way), and the marching band (yay for me) came onto the field during the broadcast to make some noise. I know they said at the time it was a GameDay attendance record, but I have no idea what the numbers were. That was a hell of a lot of fun to be a part of though.