Miami

okaive

Die hard fan, BUT folks are crazy if they think this game is going to be easy and that Miami will lay down and let us roll over them. They got warn down against Louisville. A 245 RB will do this to you.

They have speed we haven't seen in quite some time and fly to the ball. Their D is solid against the run. Appeared to get tired against Louisville and is a weakness we can possibly exploit. AA said their LB is the best in FBS. I trust his opinion. I would like to see 2 back sets and TE's to lean on their DL early and often.

We need to play side line to sideline and slow the receivers release off the line. Need to allow the DL to get upfield and cause some pressure.

IMO, the game hinges on Beck's ability to call a good game, get the O in a rhythm limit mistakes and once you find something that works, keep up with it. The big plays are great, when they work. They will contain AA, but Beck is the only thing that will stop him. Need to be patient and wear them down. Their DL and LB's don't get pounded on, they will be disruptive all game which doesn't increase TA's chance for success. I am hoping to see more of a move the chains mentality to wear on their DL and when the opportunity presents with little risk, go big.

This will be a great test and will be the first tell of how good or bad we might actually be.........

Offensively, I'd say UCLA is probably the closest thing we've seen lately to their speed, given this is a much different defense from when we played UCLA and Kaaya is NOT Hundley.

Defensively, Miami is no better or faster than MSU...probably worse, in fact. BUT. We MUST get to the second level and block there LBs which has been a great struggle AND as mentioned by Abdullah in the press conference, Tommy has to be better at checking the play when they are loaded up against Abdullah in the box.

All of that said, I agree w/you. We need to show up and play hard. This won't be a cake walk for either team. I expect a tough, physical game.

Kaaya hasn't thrown many balls up for grabs this year, that was more Jacory Harris and Stephen Morris. Not that he's going to throw INTs, but he's a different type of QB, and we run a different type of offense. We throw more quick passes, WR screens, hitches, then we do bombs. Last game was the last game we actually went vertical all season.

Die hard fan, BUT folks are crazy if they think this game is going to be easy and that Miami will lay down and let us roll over them.

I don't think anyone thinks that, crazy person or not. At least, I hope not.

I literally haven't heard a single person say this. Actually most I've heard say this will be a real test for Nebraska. I think we'll beat em' pretty good, but I don't think it will be because they came in and just laid down for us. I think we will win by a good margin because we are the better team.

The "Thug U" moniker isn't fair anymore. In reference to the 1980s, yes - and they revel in it. But that's not Miami today, and hasn't been for quite a while. Heck, they were a decent, almost likeable bunch when they demolished us in 2001.

Most everyone harboring a grudge about Miami is, like me, old enough to remember 1983 and the late 80s/early 90s games. Nebraska and Miami have played five times in the last 30 years, all of which encompass Miami's nationally relevant period.

The winner of four of those games won the National Championship. Three times that was Miami, once in heartbreaking fashion (1983) and twice in blowouts (1991 & 2001). Only once in those five games - Tom Osborne's first National Championship - did Nebraska prevail, and that took an epic comeback.

That's why people are going to bring up old grudges. The games we've played, that most remember, mattered.

<Mod hat off>

Anyway, so far our Miami visitors have been pretty cool, and have dropped some pretty good knowledge on us. Let's be good hosts, and save the "Thug U" references for any trolls that show up.

</Mod hat back on>

• Fire 4

The two things that can change the game: Dorsett and turnovers. If we can figure out how to cover Dorsett, it could be a long game. That guy is freaking quick.

If Coley plays and is 100%, he is better than Dorsett

He may not be a "better" receiver, but it's the speed of Dorsett I fear. If you don't stop him at the line or otherwise slow him down, he will blow past people and their freshman qb can get him the long ball.

The "Thug U" moniker isn't fair anymore. In reference to the 1980s, yes - and they revel in it. But that's not Miami today, and hasn't been for quite a while. Heck, they were a decent, almost likeable bunch when they demolished us in 2001.

Most everyone harboring a grudge about Miami is, like me, old enough to remember 1983 and the late 80s/early 90s games. Nebraska and Miami have played five times in the last 30 years, all of which encompass Miami's nationally relevant period.

The winner of four of those games won the National Championship. Three times that was Miami, once in heartbreaking fashion (1983) and twice in blowouts (1991 & 2001). Only once in those five games - Tom Osborne's first National Championship - did Nebraska prevail, and that took an epic comeback.

That's why people are going to bring up old grudges. The games we've played, that most remember, mattered.

<Mod hat off>

Anyway, so far our Miami visitors have been pretty cool, and have dropped some pretty good knowledge on us. Let's be good hosts, and save the "Thug U" references for any trolls that show up.

</Mod hat back on>

That's fair, to an extent, though the '83 team shouldn't be lumped in there with the "bad boy" image teams. That was Schnellenberger. It really started under Johnson in '84. As for Thug U, as I said in another thread, that name is there, and it's used, but even that isn't completely accurate. They danced on the field, and wore fatigues, and talked trash, but they weren't getting arrested off the field. They weren't killing people, raping women, etc. They weren't doing the stuff, that say, Oklahoma was doing under Switzer, but they have that reputation because they wore fatigues to the 1986 Fiesta Bowl instead of suits. Everyone remembers that they walked out of the "Steak Fry" dinner at the Fiesta Bowl with Penn State, and calls them "Thugs," but everyone forgets that Jerome Brown led the walkout because the Penn State punter got on stage and told a racist joke, prompting them to leave. Everyone thinks the players were running around campus raping women, when they were actually running up the score on Gerry Faust, embarrassing him 58-7 on national TV in his last game, leading Ara Parseghian to basically call them thugs on the national broadcast.

The two things that can change the game: Dorsett and turnovers. If we can figure out how to cover Dorsett, it could be a long game. That guy is freaking quick.

If Coley plays and is 100%, he is better than Dorsett

He may not be a "better" receiver, but it's the speed of Dorsett I fear. If you don't stop him at the line or otherwise slow him down, he will blow past people and their freshman qb can get him the long ball.

Dorsett is faster, but Coley was clocked at 4.38, so it's not like he's slow or anything. Coley is also 6-1, 185, while Dorsett is 5-10 (on a good day), so he's a handful for other reasons. Trust me, if they're both out there, I'd be more worried about Coley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veREL5g-wWc

Kaaya hasn't thrown many balls up for grabs this year, that was more Jacory Harris and Stephen Morris. Not that he's going to throw INTs, but he's a different type of QB, and we run a different type of offense. We throw more quick passes, WR screens, hitches, then we do bombs. Last game was the last game we actually went vertical all season.

The quick passes will nullify a good DL. Screens and anything with the RB going into the flats or the TE doing a delayed drag hurts us.

As mentioned above, one thing I have never worried about under Bo is our pass defense. That is one thing he adjusts. If you spread it out, I imagine going to base dime or nickel to get speed on speed and get up in the receivers face. I might eat my words, but I don't think passing will win the game....Now jet sweeps is another thing.

<Mod hat off>

</Mod hat back on>

That's fair, to an extent, though the '83 team shouldn't be lumped in there with the "bad boy" image teams. That was Schnellenberger. It really started under Johnson in '84. As for Thug U, as I said in another thread, that name is there, and it's used, but even that isn't completely accurate. They danced on the field, and wore fatigues, and talked trash, but they weren't getting arrested off the field. They weren't killing people, raping women, etc. They weren't doing the stuff, that say, Oklahoma was doing under Switzer, but they have that reputation because they wore fatigues to the 1986 Fiesta Bowl instead of suits. Everyone remembers that they walked out of the "Steak Fry" dinner at the Fiesta Bowl with Penn State, and calls them "Thugs," but everyone forgets that Jerome Brown led the walkout because the Penn State punter got on stage and told a racist joke, prompting them to leave. Everyone thinks the players were running around campus raping women, when they were actually running up the score on Gerry Faust, embarrassing him 58-7 on national TV in his last game, leading Ara Parseghian to basically call them thugs on the national broadcast.

My exact reasons for disliking UM, Penn St and only the past few years have I been able to watch NCIS and not hate Mark Harmon!

<Mod hat off>

</Mod hat back on>

My exact reasons for disliking UM, Penn St and only the past few years have I been able to watch NCIS and not hate Mark Harmon!

To each his own

The quick passes will nullify a good DL. Screens and anything with the RB going into the flats or the TE doing a delayed drag hurts us.

As mentioned above, one thing I have never worried about under Bo is our pass defense. That is one thing he adjusts. If you spread it out, I imagine going to base dime or nickel to get speed on speed and get up in the receivers face. I might eat my words, but I don't think passing will win the game....Now jet sweeps is another thing.

We throw a lot of quick passes, but not a lot to RBs. We do get the TE involved a lot too, and have a good TE. I did an depth analysis of Miami in another thread.