***** What did we learn - Fresno St Edition *****

walksalone

I think we attempted three four passes to TEs all game, but two of them were caught for touchdowns and the feeling is very different.

Pretty sweet day for the whole team. Defense flying to the ball all night.

Gotta keep watching the line. Tommy throws a pretty ball, but struggles with placement sometimes, especially on shorter throws where a lot of them are behind the receiver. Sometimes it's good.

We may need to think up more creative and reliable options to replace our base run game at times. I don't know if that's possible though, you can't just keep throwing stuff to add to the playbook.

Cotton and Carter each had one incomplete pass thrown to them and one touchdown, I believe.

We may need to think up more creative and reliable options to replace our base run game at times. I don't know if that's possible though, you can't just keep throwing stuff to add to the playbook.

I was thinking about this since McNeese stuffed us last week as well.

It was nice to see them go back to the G yesterday albeit with little success. What formation did Cross's big TD run come out of?

A couple of the power running schools-- I'm thinking of Alabama, though Iowa runs it very well also-- run the stretch play off tackle very well. When blocked well, if the tackle and tight end get a good push and the WR picks up his man, this play is almost always good for a five yard gain and then some.

If we had to work one play into our playbook at this play, it'd be right at the top of my list. Along with counter and QB power runs. The nice things about these is they are all easily run out of formations already in our playbook.

I learned how to pronounce Mackneese.

I learned there is no excuse for clogged drain pipes in my house. Thanks Plumbers Helper.

I learned that you can run 14 infomercial length commercials within a cfb game.

Our offense can be highly explosive against bad defenses. Still have to wait and see if that continues against real competition.

Beck needs to get his sh#t together.

I like our new approach to the pr game and especially DPE- that was a pleasant change.

If Beck doesn't get "pass happy" we don't move the ball.

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Passing: 24 attempts for 282 yards.

Rushing: 42 attampts for 280 yards.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

Damn those successful big plays!

But you have to run to set up the pass. Of course, just our threat of running and AA forcing defenses to put 10 guys in the box is setting up the passing game all by itself.

If Beck doesn't get "pass happy" we don't move the ball.

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Passing: 24 attempts for 282 yards.

Rushing: 42 attampts for 280 yards.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

Yeah, I'm still going to bitch about Beck. It's not the overall mix that is the problem, it's the plays being called in specific situations. He could string together much better series and help the team, and OL in particular, develope a much better rhythm. The big plays are great and he deserves lots of credit for those but I'm not going to think most of those big plays will continue against decent teams. Luckily we just might not have to play a real team this regular season.

• Fire 1

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Watching the game, I would agree. They were cut blocking every time on Gregory and some of the other guys....
I was at the game and they were absolutely cut blocking.
Already mentioned, but here's the quote,

@Sean_Callahan: Gregory on Fresno's OL: "They are a dirty group. I don't know who coaches them to play like that, but obviously they have a dirty coach."