Abdullah and the knee

Robin Washut@RobinWashut 16m16 minutes ago

Ameer Abdullah suited up and ready to roll. #Huskers http://instagram.com/p/vRn9uatRE5/

Ameer Abdullah is practicing today. Wearing a protective brace on his left knee. #Huskers

GREAT NEWS! Anyone with experience on how a brace will effect his ability to cut? Will is make him noticeably slower?

Brace is not good. Forrest Gump with braces ... so-so fast. Forrest Gump w/o braces ... speedster

• Fire 2

Looked okay on the video from scout. We will see how his knee responds when he needs to make a heisman caliber cut against a live defense. It is def good news to ser him suited up and working out. It also looks like we might have changed our snap indicator from the clap to the qb flashing his hand doe. For the center to see he is ready. Saw that a couple times in the video.

Feeling real good about Abdullah, hope I'm not getting trolled.

I hope not either. He did go back in for a few series against Purdue and came out shortly thereafter. A few positives.... He had 2 weeks of the best rehab and treatment someone could get. OSU QB looked very good and had the same injury and played the following week and lastly RGIII had his knee scoped and was back, only missing 2 games IIRC (a total of 3 weeks?).

Would really help to run some 2 back sets IMO so the D can't T off on AA every play. Make them think about selling out everyone to stop him. Would love to see them really get TA in the run game as well. Designed runs, not just the read type.

Should be a great game. Which Husker team shows up will determine this...

i am thinking which tommie shows up will be key......the kid makes me nervous.

Robin Washut@RobinWashut 30m30 minutes ago

Beck on Ameer: “He looked good moving around and going through all of our stuff. We didn’t limit him in any way, so he looked pretty good.”

Pure coach speak. Absolutely not true.

AA was limited by being featured in a Tim Beck offense.

200.gif

tumblr_m0h9wpbdU21rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Has anyone worn one of these braces before and can they explain how it felt on them? My assumption is that it limits the ability of your knee to make a cut like you normally may, but that your speed is left relatively unaffected. Or, does it slightly limit speed and your ability to make a cut?

Happy to hear he is doing ok. The thing that makes me a bit skeptical is that a brace helps a bigger back that is a north/south bullish runner. And watching Ameer over the years, he really uses his quickness, speed, cutting agility, and power. He depends on his legs more than his shoulders for power since he is undersized. Especially running towards the edge when he cuts back at nearly full speed. He isn't a slow patient methodical runner. He tries to explode each time he touches the ball, with great vision and instinct, regardless if it's for 3 yards or 11. I just hope the brace doesn't effect his style of running, which will happen to some degree.

You're right Addison. They just feature hinges on both sides of the knee (L/R) and those will limit his ability to plant and cut vertically. His knee injury happened because his MCL was stretched beyond normal limits when a heavy force (a DT) was applied and it collapsed his knee momentarily inward. The hinges are just going to limit the range of motion he has making those kind of cuts to make sure his MCL stays within a normal range of movement.

I'd expect him to be somewhat limited East-West but as Mav said, he may not have such a substantial brace come Saturday. MCLs do have quick turnaround if they're minor (his appears to be), so it wouldn't surprise me if he came out with just a minimalist brace like a stiff sleeve, That'd be preferable if he's healthy because he'll obviously be more agile and if you do reinjure a knee, the bigger, bulkier braces can actually make the damage worse.

Ts and Ps we don't have to worry about it!!

• Fire 1

Silver lining?

Michigan State, McNeese State and for that matter Fresno State showed what can happen if you commit to taking Ameer Abdullah out of the game.

So Nebraska has to prepare for games that won't feature Abdullah.

A healthy or near-healthy Ameer will obviously be a plus against Wisconsin, but he can't define our entire offense.

If he tweaks early and goes out, we have to play like we planned for that.