Could Gerry move to LB?

chamrocck

I like Nate Gerry but he is often overmatched in the open field against speed players. Would it be better for him to play closer to the LOS? I was at the Holiday Bowl and the fans around me were expressing the same sentiment that long term Gerry does not have the speed/quickness necessary at safety plus he takes a ton of bad angles. I'll be interested to watch Gerry's development. Started off season well but seemed to regress down the stretch...perhaps long season wore him down? Or are we in for a position change here?

I like Nate Gerry but he is often overmatched in the open field against speed players. Would it be better for him to play closer to the LOS? I was at the Holiday Bowl and the fans around me were expressing the same sentiment that long term Gerry does not have the speed/quickness necessary at safety plus he takes a ton of bad angles. I'll be interested to watch Gerry's development. Started off season well but seemed to regress down the stretch...perhaps long season wore him down? Or are we in for a position change here?

272.gif

• Fire 2

He was one of our best players and that was while he was at safety.

Dont move him.

I get LB depth is weak but with Cooper and Mitchell graduating, it is important to not take another guy out of that secondary mix.

LB has some guys returning. Rose will play the Middle and that should help.

Leroy can play the other safety spot and Cjax at CB.

I feel very confident with our secondary.

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

I actually believe the opposite. Gerry is very fast. I think anytime you find your safety in the 'open field' against a speedy wideout, it's not ideal, regardless of the safety. I think he struggles at times in run support, but he'll improve IMO.

Dafuq? Nate Gerry played like an all-american this year at safety and you want him to move to lb? Gerry won us the game against Iowa and almost Minnesota too. His best games came late in the season. I will say that he missed a few tackles vs USC but overall played lights out on defense this year. Without him and Maliek we probably lose 2-3 more games. And speed is not an issue he is one of the fastest safety's in the B1G.

Also, speed is not an issue for Gerry. Kid set state records for track in South Dakota. Not sure where that idea is coming from...

Probably more of a lateral quickness issue. Watch the film and he is just slow on cutting and getting in right position often leading to the missed arm tackling. I am pulling for the guy but a lot of groans from the section I was in. He has a nose for the ball...if he can get to it.

How much of that was from the system though? We had the same problems at LB and with corners for years now. Nate can run with anybody. The only person I've ever seen out run him was that #2 for USC the other night. I don't think he lacks lateral speed either, it's just being out of position or thinking too much that makes him look slow and he usually compensates for that. He was a much more dependable safety than Cooper was, and a better athlete too.