Post spring game QB depth chart

“ Armstrong likely needs not worry about a serious challenge to his position as the No. 1 quarterback.”

Mitch Sherman

ESPN.com

Mitch Sherman used to know quite a bit about Husker football...but now he knows less than most people on this board about Husker football. I trust his opinion as far as I can throw a piano.

He's a former OWH reporter with masterful connections and sources locally, as well as access to team practices (which he attends). He's also a B1G/college football reporter for ESPN and covers Nebraska literally every week during the college football season.

What more exactly do you need from him to prove his legitimacy? I trust him more than half the people who cover the program for any number of local media outlets.

What more? I need to read his articles that he has written for the past 3-4 years at ESPN and not feel like he's an outsider now who has no perspective....that's what I need. Until then, he's a 'used to be' insider who lacks perspective.

He has more responsibilities as a writer now and can't focus solely on one program. That doesn't mean he still doesn't have a pretty good idea what he's talking about or that he doesn't get his information from reliable sources.

I can guarantee you he knows more about the program than most people on this board, and suggesting otherwise (as you did) is very inaccurate.

I'm just watching the spring game now. Couple things:

Can't wait to go to my first game this fall!

Tommy Armstrong looks awful. System or no system, I hope the staff doesn't feel an allegiance to him. He doesn't look like a quarterback

I agree. I don't understand why the experience factor would play to TA's odds of being the starter this fall. If anything, with his experience he should have been far ahead of all the other QBs yesterday. Instead, after starting over 20 games, he looked like the 3rd best QB out there, and I don't see much upside for him.

Because experience is the difference between throwing an interception on 3rd and 3, against a real team with the game on the line, or making a play with your feet/finding a more open receiver. I would've thought experience and it's usefulness would have been a bit obvious? I stand corrected.

While his numbers may not have jumped off the page, he led three scoring drives - more than any other QB Saturday.

If they were ALL freshman learning to play at the college level for the first time then I'd be more open to the suggestion that he's the third best quarterback. But you have to think about this all reasonably and logically - it's going to take significant evidence for someone to supplant TA. I'm not saying that won't happen, because it certainly could.

But, it is equally as foolish to discount experience as it is to discount a back up.

You act as though TA did not throw INTs in clutch situations or make bad decisions in the past season. You are supporting the point I was trying to make in that TA should look substantially better out there in his 3rd season compared to the other QBs because of his experience, and he simply did not. I do still think that TA's "experience" factor will give him the edge for the opening game, but what I'm saying is that I don't believe that should be a deciding factor UNLESS all other things are equal with the #2, which does not appear to be the case. TA's advantages compared to someone like Darlington are his running ability and that he's played in 20-plus games. His disadvantages are his footwork, mechanics, and accuracy, and I would even say that ZD flashed better vision of surveying his open receivers than I've really ever seen from TA.

If Riley and company truly want a passing QB this early in their tenure, and ZD continues to impress in the fall, then they will make the change. If they don't want to rock the boat and are ok with a QB that prefers to run, then TA will remain on top of the depth chart.

As for the scoring drives, I would be interested to see how many minutes and drives TA had relative to ZD. Outside of 2 nice passes, I didn't see a lot of good things from TA throwing the ball yesterday.

Now you're contradicting yourself, though. You just said experience shouldn't be a deciding factor unless all things are equal, but then go on to say experience is TA's advantage. How can something be an advantage on one QB's resume but not worth taking into consideration for making a depth chart? Things will never be equal. Find me one QB battle in the history of... oh... ever... where each player was 100% equal.

If you're an employer and are looking at two guys for a position, and one guy has two years experience and the other is fresh out of college, you'd evaluate that guys experience level relative to his work.

ZD certainly may have better raw skills and may be the best guy for the job in the coaches eyes. I'm not debating that. I think you're misunderstanding my argument as a defense for TA being the starter. I don't give a damn who the starter is as long as they're the best guy on the team for the job. If that's ZD, great. If that's TA, great. If that's Fyfe, great. My point is that experience has to be part of the evaluation process, and it will be. That doesn't mean TA still can't lose his job.

However, I've seen multiple sports reporters locally say they think TA has a pretty firm grasp on the job as of right now. Could things change? Absolutely.

I can't help but feel the health considerations are going to keep Darlington away from serious contention this year, as good as he looks.

Otherwise, I feel Tommy should have a battle on his hands in fall camp. AJ seems very talented, but not ready.

I hope you're wrong and I think you're wrong about the staff's opinions on Darlington. He's live and going full contact. What we don't know about him and Bush is what those first 14 practices really looked like? Was Bush's performance on Saturday an anomaly? I had heard that he threw quite a few picks during spring ball and Darlington had not. But, there was so much chatter about Bush. Was that just the media or does the staff really believe that?

Based on Saturday, Darlington should be the backup, at least.

Based on 7 completions? So many jumping the gun and so much learning and football still yet to be played. Both Bush and Darlington would get eaten up if you put them against a team with a pulse right now.

As would Armstrong.

Armstrong would not. The guy started the past two seasons, while both Bush & Darlington were barely facing contact in practice, if at all. He's what? 15-5 as a starter here? Something like that?

Let's not sell Tommy short here. He'll have to lose the starting job on the field next Fall, and we'll do just fine with him at the helm.

Give Darlington & Bush some time to hone their skills before they look to supplant a two-year incumbent.

I can't help but feel the health considerations are going to keep Darlington away from serious contention this year, as good as he looks.

Otherwise, I feel Tommy should have a battle on his hands in fall camp. AJ seems very talented, but not ready.

I hope you're wrong and I think you're wrong about the staff's opinions on Darlington. He's live and going full contact. What we don't know about him and Bush is what those first 14 practices really looked like? Was Bush's performance on Saturday an anomaly? I had heard that he threw quite a few picks during spring ball and Darlington had not. But, there was so much chatter about Bush. Was that just the media or does the staff really believe that?

Based on 7 completions? So many jumping the gun and so much learning and football still yet to be played. Both Bush and Darlington would get eaten up if you put them against a team with a pulse right now.

As would Armstrong.

Armstrong would not. The guy started the past two seasons, while both Bush & Darlington were barely facing contact in practice, if at all. He's what? 15-5 as a starter here? Something like that?

Let's not sell Tommy short here. He'll have to lose the starting job on the field next Fall, and we'll do just fine with him at the helm.

Give Darlington & Bush some time to hone their skills before they look to supplant a two-year incumbent.

Thank you!!!!!

People act like Armstrong is so bad that there is no way we are every going to win a game again as long as he is starting.

The kid has won the vast majority of the games he has played. He is a hard nosed player that has been a leader on the field. AND YES....he has won some games by making plays with his arm.

Now, does he have room for improvement? Sure....all of them do especially since they are changing schemes.

Basically what has happened was what I predicted last week. People would watch the spring game and all of a sudden have wild assumptions as to how things will workout next fall.

Reality.....how often in the lat 20 years have fans created certain opinions about certain players from watching basically one practice only to have something totally different turn out in the fall?

I was most impressed by Darlington - surprised as it seems most talk was about Bush. I thought Bush showed some potential and has a good arm. Made some key interceptions though.

Stanton: I was hopeful all of the Elite 11 hype was real and that he could transition his HS success to college. But it really looked 'bad'. If he wants to be a starting college QB, it will have to be someplace else.

I wouldn't be surprised if Riley gets his kind of QB in here and the new guy will be starting in 2 years after TA's senior year. if he is a HS recruit. If JC recruit - the year after this coming season if he is a real top notch. (still hard to unseat a 3 year starter in TA at that point) - unless Darlington gives him reason be a full time starter. For all of the back up QB that we now have, I think Darlington is the closest to what Riley is looking for.

Edit: TA still will remain the starter I believe and should be. My impression of Darlington was as one of the other guys - I don't see him replacing TA. TA still has rough edges but it is hard to replace experience - mostly winning experience as well TA should only get better under this coach. A JC recruit would only replace TA if he was the next Russel Wilson type of transfer.

Basically what has happened was what I predicted last week. People would watch the spring game and all of a sudden have wild assumptions as to how things will workout next fall.

Reality.....how often in the lat 20 years have fans created certain opinions about certain players from watching basically one practice only to have something totally different turn out in the fall?

Exactly. Saturday's practice was about 7% of what the coaches have seen this spring, but about 100% of what we've seen.

I'll defer to them.

As would Armstrong.

Thank you!!!!!

People act like Armstrong is so bad that there is no way we are every going to win a game again as long as he is starting.

The kid has won the vast majority of the games he has played. He is a hard nosed player that has been a leader on the field. AND YES....he has won some games by making plays with his arm.

Now, does he have room for improvement? Sure....all of them do especially since they are changing schemes.

While I agree with what you said. To play devils advocate, TA is 15-5 in a system that asked him to rely almost as much on his legs as his arm. I don't think that will be the case in this new system, and that is what worries me about him. Can he win a lot of games based on his decision making and throwing ability from the pocket? Idk the answer to that. But Im also not so blind not to notice that our offense will not be a true pro style offense. The QB will be asked to make plays with his legs, just not as much as before. Until we get the kind of QB Riley wants that is. Based on the spring game Darlington appeared to be the closest to that guy, but it is along time until the real season begins, and I'm looking forward to sitting back and enjoying the ride!

“ Armstrong likely needs not worry about a serious challenge to his position as the No. 1 quarterback.”

Mitch Sherman

ESPN.com

Mitch Sherman used to know quite a bit about Husker football...but now he knows less than most people on this board about Husker football. I trust his opinion as far as I can throw a piano.

He's a former OWH reporter with masterful connections and sources locally, as well as access to team practices (which he attends). He's also a B1G/college football reporter for ESPN and covers Nebraska literally every week during the college football season.

What more exactly do you need from him to prove his legitimacy? I trust him more than half the people who cover the program for any number of local media outlets.

Personally, what I need is to read articles where it sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He routinely makes a fool of himself on twitter during the season, citing incorrect stats or misremembered plays or offering weird commentary on a consistent basis (one example, during the 2012 Penn State game after we took the lead, he tweeted something like "This is right about the time that past Pelini teams have kicked the ball out of bounds", despite the only time that had EVER happened being 2009 against Texas.)

I could not care less about his credentials or connections - he's just not a sharp guy and it shows if you know what to look for.

• Fire 1

Exactly. Saturday's practice was about 7% of what the coaches have seen this spring, but about 100% of what we've seen.

I'll defer to them.

But Brion Carnes.....

• Fire 2

I'll defer to them.

But Brion Carnes.....
and his "it" factor.

As would Armstrong.

It doesn't matter if he's 15-5. The post is about his play against teams with a pulse.

• Fire 1