Post spring game RB depth chart

For the RB- the Inside Zone is much harder to run than OZ from a coaching standpoint that's zone 101-- baby step stuff

Like learning the stance

Inside zone requires an immediate read and change in direction

Watch Rex's highlights if you don't believe me- wow

All of those coaching concepts ala Chip Kelley were plucked from something found on google - it comes up as #1 when you do a google search- 5 minutes before those "coaching points" were posted here. That wasn't something anyone already knew.

until that point- probably first thing they ever read about it- never coached it : http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/pdfdocs/oregonruns.pdf

Oh but it has

Anyone can read the Oregon site, the fishducks site- you would find a lot of what Oregon does has morphed over time

I realize this may be something new for those that think Chip Kelley coached at USC

BTW we wont be a zone read team

Over time we will be a zone team- there is a difference in how the backside DE is accounted for

That will also mean the "zone read" plays that are aren't a read and are optimized for the keep or give will be gone too-

The plays Imani could have run, plays we ran years ago- the power read and sweep read (inverted veer) are long gone- when Beck tired of having hurt QBs- Those WERENT zone read plays, MUCH different series- announcers were clueless as to what those plays were and we ran them a bunch.

Nothing in Kelleys Nike Coach of the year notes discounted what I said about zone runners

Note that Oregon has had small shifty backs- because they run a ton of zone

Imani wouldn't see the field for them in their scheme, I take that back- they probably wouldn't have recruited him

What I learned about zone didn't come from a single article I downloaded 10 minutes prior to my post :hmmph

As I said before LOTs of High SChool teams wont run zone- because they don't have kids who can run it

You can have a great kid, good speed, power, even good in HS who never gets how to run zone, it happens

Same goes even for some big time programs. I heard Saban talk a couple of years ago about a year they ran a bunch of gap stuff because they didn't have a consistent zone runner.

I was coaching out of state last year

I didn't get a chance to see any practices or live games in person with exception of last home game

That doesn't surprise me one bit

The little I saw of him in Spring Game I liked

Tight, no wasted movement, quick, explosive

Read the OZ pretty well

Attacked the landmark- made correct read

Most people who know football know Chip Kelleys coaching pedigree and know he didn't ever coach at USC or anything close to that kind of school before he got his gig at Oregon. Pretty common knowledge, unique path through New Hampshire, a trail blazer. Someone that is trying to portray themselves as knowing the details of running zone would probably know about that.

Classic case of "Smartest Dude in the room"...

• Fire 6

So one poster basically beats around the bush acting "better" than others. Then goes on to call someone out for not knowing who Chip Kelly is and where he coached. Best part everyone knows it's spelled Kelly not Kelley. Kelley is not the auto correct for Kelly either as Kelly is 1000x more common. Oh well, is this what happens when Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson create offspring on the ESPN Sports Science show?

• Fire 1

Kind of makes sense with the log jam at running back. Question for me is who is going to get the bulk of those carries. I think that it could very well change as the season progresses and things shake themselves out.

Steven M. Sipple: Huskers likely headed to 'by-committee' approach at I-back

"I think we can change up the pace a little bit by rotating those guys here and there," Nebraska offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said Saturday. "You just have a little different style of runner when you go from a guy like Terrell Newby to Imani Cross."

Or from Newby to Adam Taylor.

Or from Mikale Wilbon to Graham Nabity.

"I was pleased with that aspect," Langsdorf said following the Red-White Spring Game. "I think that's a good thing to change that style of runner if you can, with kind of a slasher, then a bruiser."

I noted a few folks commenting about how Oregon runs the zone and being a total novice on the Xs and Os ... I have no idea what running the zone be it inside or outside. But Oregon is making a hard run at one of Adam Taylor's teamates ... Kyle Porter. Univ. of Texas, Baylor, LSU, one of the Oklahoma big 12 and a host of other football powers have made offers. I have no idea if Katy runs any version of the zone. Some of ya'll may know by watching his soph year highlights in this link.

Kyle Porter has speed and also runs track .

If new coach Riley has an interest ... he can get Katy Coach Joseph's # from Adam.

I noted a few folks commenting about how Oregon runs the zone and being a total novice on the Xs and Os ... I have no idea what running the zone be it inside or outside. But Oregon is making a hard run at one of Adam Taylor's teamates ... Kyle Porter. Univ. of Texas, Baylor, LSU, one of the Oklahoma big 12 and a host of other football powers have made offers. I have no idea if Katy runs any version of the zone. Some of ya'll may know by watching his soph year highlights in this link.

Kyle Porter has speed and also runs track .

If new coach Riley has an interest ... he can get Katy Coach Joseph's # from Adam.

Most teams that have a lead back run more gap type schemes than zone, a lead back in Zone just gets in the way, slows down the play

Tenopir late in his career zone blocked a lot of option plays- but the FB wasn't in the mix- he was running option

Teams with real tight splits also don't run a lot of zone

You see several Power O plays in there along with Iso. the outside runs don't look like OZ

This kid has the macro skills to run zone- very good body control, explosiveness, quick decision making, jump cuts well

He would be perfect for what Oregon likes- small quick explosive zone runners

I already expressed I like Taylor as the #1 back, but again, I am surprised that so many people think Newby is the clear cut #1 guy. Based on a few good spring game runs? I think the kid can be the best back on the team, but I'm not convinced he is yet. Cross even out played him last year based on numbers.

Cross: 75 carries, 384 yards, 5.1 YPC, Long 62 yards, 5 TDS
Newby: 67 carries, 297 yards, 4.4 YPC, Long 43 yards, 5 TDs

I already expressed I like Taylor as the #1 back, but again, I am surprised that so many people think Newby is the clear cut #1 guy. Based on a few good spring game runs? I think the kid can be the best back on the team, but I'm not convinced he is yet. Cross even out played him last year based on numbers.

The question is who plays this year

Based on the offense this coaching staff traditionally likes to run- Newby is the better fit

The question is who plays this year

Based on the offense this coaching staff traditionally likes to run- Newby is the better fit

Didn't the staff (Langsdorf, Davis??) give some interviews the week before the spring game all but anointing Newby the starter?