Looks like the strength coach is pushing the players hard

Wow thanks stumpy you should email the tnation site over to mark. Then he can become as educated as yourself on the topic.

Muscle confusion? Why don't they just pop in the p90x dvd.

I stand by my shot at crossfit. It merits one type of person and that's physical therapists.

Bit on the snarky side for a new poster, aren't you? Wait, what name did you used to post under?

Hedley please. Powerlifting has more in common with football that track and field does. Count if anything takes you 3 hours that would be what I consider least optimal.

You need a mix amigo. I know you just want to have big bulky strongman that can't move playing football but that isn't how it works

Troof.

There are a lot of explosive/power muscle groups that get worked with high intensity cardio type exercises. From day 1 Phillip said most lifts guys will be doing will be from a standing position. I get it bench is important, but it's better to incorporate bench press movements while you're standing and moving. I don't think we want our men laying down and bench pressing the other team.

And, sh#t a lineman doing lunches and squats is actually lifting several hundred lbs of his body weight - he's just doing it in fast motion.

Might need to cut back on those lunches. Just sayin . . .

3060434.JPG

Wondering if anyone caught that. My type of workout.

Interesting couple tweets from Gerry after he tweeted out that TBT picture. I'm guessing it's nothing but a compliment to his former ST guy.

@NathanGerry: @_willcompton dobber got me right in high school even

This just tells me for guys that had the right mindset and work ethic, Dobson's program worked. But if you wanted to slack off, he'd let it slide.

Interesting couple tweets from Gerry after he tweeted out that TBT picture. I'm guessing it's nothing but a compliment to his former ST guy.

This just tells me for guys that had the right mindset and work ethic, Dobson's program worked. But if you wanted to slack off, he'd let it slide.

That's what I have taken from the former to the new. Accountability. Now you better put in the work. The whole Bo era was a lack of accountability ie constant mistakes and not sitting the pine, fumbles, penalties etc..... Making guys accountable to the program and each other is worth at least one more win IMO

• Fire 1

exactly. Which means Dobson wasnt a very good strength coach. Motivation and accomplishing buy in is part of the job.

If you let your players slack off then you're not a good coach. You have to be able to hold them accountable. Some kids are able to find the self motivation but others need to be pushed and that's exactly what a good S&C coach does.

If Dobsen focused on power and strength, then he done a sh**ty job because we have had some of the weakest players go through the combine in the last 6-7 yrs. Sure we had a few exceptions but when your RB puts up more reps then your lineman, then there is an issue. Like I said, Dobsen is a smart man but a sh**ty coach.

I agree with you to an extent, but we need to keep some things in perspective. You mentioned combine and reps so I'm assuming you're talking about things like the bench. One of the top (if not the top) linemen prospect in the draft (Brandon Scherff, Iowa) got out-benched by Ameer Abdullah and six other running backs.

I personally don't feel comfortable commenting on our prior S&C staff because I think a lot of it is purely speculation. I never really saw a lot that made me think our guys were fat, slow or just not strong enough. Perhaps that was the case, though. I just don't know. I still think most of our problems have been between the ears, not in the weight room.

If Dobsen focused on power and strength, then he done a sh**ty job because we have had some of the weakest players go through the combine in the last 6-7 yrs. Sure we had a few exceptions but when your RB puts up more reps then your lineman, then there is an issue. Like I said, Dobsen is a smart man but a sh**ty coach.

I agree with you to an extent, but we need to keep some things in perspective. You mentioned combine and reps so I'm assuming you're talking about things like the bench. One of the top (if not the top) linemen prospect in the draft (Brandon Scherff, Iowa) got out-benched by Ameer Abdullah and six other running backs.

I personally don't feel comfortable commenting on our prior S&C staff because I think a lot of it is purely speculation. I never really saw a lot that made me think our guys were fat, slow or just not strong enough. Perhaps that was the case, though. I just don't know. I still think most of our problems have been between the ears, not in the weight room.

Very true.

Very true.

Some of it I imagine is speculation but some of it is not. A friend of mine was apart of Dobsen's staff as a student manager and was the one telling me this stuff.

Some of it I imagine is speculation but some of it is not. A friend of mine was apart of Dobsen's staff as a student manager and was the one telling me this stuff.

Just to be clear I wasn't calling you a liar or anything. I just think some people make S&C a scapegoat without having anything of real substance to base that claim off of. I believe there are some (like you) that may have some insider info., but I think other people are just looking for something to blame. But, when you ask them what they base their opinion off of, it can often be circumstantial evidence or people speculating based off of Tweets.

Of course, this isn't me saying the S&C program was great. I just know that Dobson was well respected in coaching circles (according to the previous staff) and the players seemed to like him. I'm just hoping people avoid blasting parts of the program if they don't have some hard-stuff to go on.

• 3 months later...

The gains, Lewis said, have been clear for him. He weighed 290 last year. He weighs 308 this year, and runs as fast, he said, as ever.

Granted Lewis was coming out of 30 days in jail to start last season :lol:, this sounds promising.

• Fire 1