Recruiting effort & this staff

Why do any of us care about the staff's attitude on recruiting other than it makes us feel like we're in the loop? If this good attitude produces better results, fine. If not, I don't care how wonderful their attitudes are. Again, I'm happy with 20-30, I just think people are being crazy-optimistic here. Hopefully it'll end up being a great class and you were all good fortune tellers. I just don't think Bo was as awful at recruiting as people seem to think. I think his worst class was like #34?

I think you're being intentionally dense. If you're hiring an employee, do you go with the person that does their job satisfactorily but begrudgingly, or do you go with the person that shows a ton of enthusiasm and enjoyment towards it, even at the same results? Even at the exact same clip, a positive attitude is still infectious and seeps into other areas.

Personally, I think we can average about 5 spots higher than you think, around the 15-25 year on a yearly basis. Bo did an OK job at it, but he did it relentingly, and often with patch work and band-aids. If Bo got 20-30 classes, with everything you know and feel in hindsight about how he ran and approached this program, how can you not think that Riley can do better than that?

I asked why we should care, not why his boss should care. I don't give a flying fruit what kind of attitude the coaches have about recruiting if it ends up netting the same type of recruiting class. Now if we're talking overall about every aspect of the job (which is what you're talking about when you say "other areas") then ya I suppose that matters... if it produces better results on the field.

Where's your evidence of Bo going at recruiting begrudgingly? Just because he didn't talk about it constantly on twitter doesn't mean he did it begrudgingly. It just wasn't his style to do things out in the open for the fans to see. And he had a #11 class.

Riley's way of doing it is (potentially) much better, imo, and it's how I would do it. But there's not enough proof yet to know he's going to be better at it than Bo, and there's certainly not enough proof of it that it should be causing all sorts of comments about this amazing class and how terrible Bo was in comparison, which is what I've been seeing the past couple of months. That doesn't mean I'm not hopeful that he'll be better at it. I think he will be. I have no problem with people being optimistic about it. I've just seen people go overboard several times and acting like Bo was sh#t at it. If Riley brings in top 15 classes year after year then I'll agree Bo was sh#t at it but it's way too soon for that.

You kind of went off there

Where's your evidence of Bo going at recruiting begrudgingly? Just because he didn't talk about it constantly on twitter doesn't mean he did it begrudgingly. It just wasn't his style to do things out in the open for the fans to see. And he had a #11 class.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maybe he did not go about recruiting "begrudgingly" but I think the first 4 years are proof of that. but you may remember this quote from the coach at UNK. No, that is not Kentucky, it is University of Nebraska at KEARNEY! “They’re our biggest competitor, and that should scare them,” Morris said. “How they think they’re going to win the Big Ten recruiting the same guys I am, I have no clue.”

Bo and staff were good recruiters when they wanted to be. The problem was that they only wanted to be that way about 50% of the time. This current staff is more energetic and focused about it, hence the Satellite camps and all the summer visits. During Bo's tenure, we rarely used all of our allotted official visits during the season. My guess is because Bo didn't want to worry about recruits on game days. Our game days are one of our biggest selling points and Bo didn't take advantage of that. With Riley, I don't think we will have to worry about that issue. He is already better at selling the University to recruits then what Bo ever was.

If we use up our allotment of OVs, this staff will officially (no pun intended) be the greatest recruiters in the history of the world.

It will be interesting to see if Riley can improve recruiting enough to get Nebraska over the hump. I don't think this recruiting class will be much different than the ones we saw under Pelini rankie wise, but I'm interested to see what he can do once he builds relationships with high school players and coaches in the 500 mile radius. If Nebraska is to challenge Ohio State we'll need to be ranked some where close recruiting wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have major concern about Hughes and Banker's recruitment of the DL position? Recruits are dropping off the board like flies and very few high profile prospects seem to have serious interest in us. I have heard some current players say their first impression if Banker was he is "awkward" and i've heard no positive mention of people think Hughes was cool or that they connected with him. I look at the board and Fant keeps visiting all these distant schools and getting all these offers and delaying his recruitment. Carlo Kemp is being recruited harder by some other schools and just came off a visit to Michigan which he loved. Kelly committed to Clemson. It goes on and on. We hardly have any recruits within the 500 mile radius left. I am really worried that Bankers "awkwardness" and Hughes seriousness/lack of personality will hurt us on the DLine with recruiting.

Thoughts?

• Fire 2

I do think it's noticeable that you never hear about Hughes recruiting. However, at this point I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg. Are we not hearing his name because he isn't getting the job done or have we just not found the guys that are interested yet.

Considering our lack of DEs we really need to be hitting that position. But there's always a few guys who you don't hear anything about until they schedule an official visit. Hopefully they are still some good prospects but we'll see in another month or two if we have anyone set to visit.

I don't think we are as bad off at DE or even DT as some think. We signed 5 guys in 2014( 4-DE and 1-DT ) and signed 4 guys last year( 2-DE and 2-DT ). One from the 2014 class has already left in Willis but everyone else is still here. Some of these guys could play both DE or DT. The issue we have is that we are young at the positions.

I know it is ideal to get 4-5 DL in a class every year because of wear and tear but if we can get a couple this year and really hit it next year, we should be fine.

I don't think we are as bad off at DE or even DT as some think. We signed 5 guys in 2014( 4-DE and 1-DT ) and signed 4 guys last year( 2-DE and 2-DT ). One from the 2014 class has already left in Willis but everyone else is still here. Some of these guys could play both DE or DT. The issue we have is that we are young at the positions.

I know it is ideal to get 4-5 DL in a class every year because of wear and tear but if we can get a couple this year and really hit it next year, we should be fine.

Yes and no. We have decent numbers. But there are also a lot of question marks. That's not surprising for guys that young but at the same time, there aren't a lot that really jump out as can't-miss prospects.

From 2014, Wills is already gone and Keels is a JUCO in his last year. I think Freedom has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see what he can do. Stoltenberg has been moved to DT and Newell doesn't seem to be making a lot of noise. I think Newell and Stoltenberg could be role players but I'm not sure they'll be major factors. Might only end up with Freedom out of that class.

2015 looks quite a bit better. The Davis twins are difference makers. They might start out at DE to help with depth this year but they'll end up at DT which is part of the reason why I won't be surprised if Newell and Stoltenberg don't see the field as much. Neal and Davis also have some good potential but need to get bigger and stronger.

• Fire 1

I don't think we can write off Newell right now. He's only going to be a RS Soph. His offer list was basically a who's who of CFB teams (UGA, MSU, OU, S Car, USC, etc)

We are all really high on the Davis twins this year, but that's because they are the "latest and greatest" additions. Newell (.8882) and the Davis twins were basically rated the same on 247 composite (Carlos .8891, Khalil .8730).

I don't think we can write off Newell right now. He's only going to be a RS Soph. His offer list was basically a who's who of CFB teams (UGA, MSU, OU, S Car, USC, etc)

We are all really high on the Davis twins this year, but that's because they are the "latest and greatest" additions. Newell (.8882) and the Davis twins were basically rated the same on 247 composite (Carlos .8891, Khalil .8730).

Not writing him off at all. I really liked him as a recruit. But the reports out of practice don't mention him much. I'm pretty sure about the only thing I've seen is that he wasn't getting a lot done. He's still young but so are several of the guys who get mentioned a lot and earn scout team MVP honors.

This is where I'm at. After sitting on it for a while, its not terrible but it isnt great. Don't think we're completely screwed this year either. Next year should be much, much better.