Recruiting effort & this staff

When was the last time that we had this many quality kids committed this early? I think this staff is doing a pretty good job selling themselves and the program since they haven't even started their first fall practice here yet.

Last year when we had Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Carlos & Khalil Davis and Christian Gaylord by this time.
Definitely. Last year's class, at this time, was on par with this year's class, if not slightly better. What is awesome is that Riley's first full class could be as good as the best class Nebraska had over the last seven years. We should be hyped at the moment, but there is still a long ways to go til NSD, both in time and commits.

When was the last time that we had this many quality kids committed this early? I think this staff is doing a pretty good job selling themselves and the program since they haven't even started their first fall practice here yet.

Last year when we had Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Carlos & Khalil Davis and Christian Gaylord by this time.
Definitely. Last year's class, at this time, was on par with this year's class, if not slightly better. What is awesome is that Riley's first full class could be as good as the best class Nebraska had over the last seven years. We should be hyped at the moment, but there is still a long ways to go til NSD, both in time and commits.
I would have to look back at the commitments, but I recall 2010 and 2011 looking pretty good at this time as well.

Sam has a new Big Fat Recruiting Update today. A lot of stuff in there, but here is the open talking about the staff "getting it":

This is as sweet as the inaugural offseason is going to get for Nebraska's football staff.

Enthusiasm and good vibes surrounding Husker recruiting hasn't been this potent since June 19, 2010. Five years ago. That day ring a bell? Probably not. That's when Bubba Starling picked NU over everybody else a week after the Huskers jumped to the Big Ten. Nebraska fans felt good that week, man. A national title-caliber roster in the house for 2010. A middle finger to Texas, Dan Beebe and the Big 12. And Bubba? Nebraska football was struttin', even if The Professor, Ted Gilmore, was putting together the class.

Screen Name or EmailNow I remember!
Just about every day since that summer, the general Nebraska fan mood — at least in reaction to recruiting — has vacillated between "it's getting better, even good!" and "are you sure?" As someone who doesn't work for one of the recruiting sites, part of what I do — what I watch and chart — is recruiting sites' reaction and thought process in relation to Nebraska's recruiting operation. And when the Huskers hauled in strong classes in recent years — the 2013 class had its share of gems and its share of grease fires — it was a bit of pleasant surprise. The "it's getting better, even good" vibe. But rarely did I sense a "these guys get it" vibe about Nebraska's former staff. I didn't sense it because it wasn't exactly there on recruiting.

It's there with this Nebraska staff. And if I sound like a broken record, well, that why I'm telling you: It's the height of the honeymoon. Enjoy it. There will be some games to win soon, and thus begins the real marriage.

You had two Nebraska recruiting sites — Husker Online and Huskers Illustrated following Husker staffers to satellite camps last week. Satellite camps. Is that unprecedented in the history of these deals? I suspect it may be, unless you count Michigan's summer slam, which was part football camp, part Jim Harbaugh's American Values tour. But outside of that, for four camps to draw that much interest.... well, that's how Nebraska fans and Nebraska recruitniks roll, though. They eat up this news like Langoliers munch through the past.

And you had NU's two quarterback commits — Terry Wilson and Patrick O'Brien — throwing at camps held by a school that already had their verbal commitment. Workouts, interviews, the whole nine yards. Now that they're both four-star prospects according at least one recruiting service — my hunch is they're both consensus four-stars by the end of their high school seasons — their dual commitments feels a bit like a unspoken duel, doesn't it? Feels like the 1997 recruiting class — which had Eric Crouch and Bobby Newcombe — all over again.

It feels pretty good.

It feels good, too, that Nebraska was able to target — and land — a highly-coveted defensive prospect in California, Marquel Dismuke, and a more-coveted defensive prospect in New Jersey, Quayshon Alexander. If Fort Pierce (Florida) Central linebacker Greg Simmons commits to NU in the next couple weeks — as is predicted — that'd mean Nebraska has planted 2016 flags in three of the top states for talent.

And that's what coach Mike Riley told reporters he wanted to do when he arrived at Nebraska. Recruit nationally. Go to every corner of the map, do so with efficiency, and not feel bad about finishing second with top-shelf prospects. Thus far,

Riley's done what he said he was going to do. His staff has been efficient in evaluating and offering prospects.

Now, it's time to close more of them before training camp hits. Preferably before the dead period hits in July hits.

Is fifth in the conference acceptable for us? It sounds lame saying we're fifth, but then you look at the schools ahead of us, and go, "well damn okay yeah that kind of makes sense." MSU won't last forever, I don't think, so I would really love to see us lock down a 4th-place recruiting finish on a yearly basis for the most part.

OSU, Michigan, PSU and MSU will be tough to beat on the recruiting trail on a regular basis. I think what has to happen to beat MSU regularly is for MU to become dominant again. Right now, they are the cool and stable program in the state and they are getting recruits because of it. If MU would rise again, that could diminish their ability to bring in those players.

If we are going to be 4th or 5th in the conference, we have to do what we can to make sure it's not a distant 4th or 5th. Let's keep those top 5 programs bunched up pretty close to the top. Then, if we can have some really good coaching, we have a good chance at being competitive for conference championships.

I did a class calculator on 247 just for fun to see where we would be if our next 9 commits happened soon. They were:

Amani Bledsoe

Xavier Kelly

Isaiah Simmons

Boe Wilson

Matt Farniok

Jack Stoll

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Noah Fant

It would put us at about 218 points. Which would currently be good for about 6-7 in the country. Obviously other schools are going to get commits but it was good to know that these 9 are very strong possibilities and would really boost the class. Also good is that I think there would be room for a couple more. Pretty encouraging.

• Fire 1

Can you add just Stoll and Domann to see what we look like? I tried and couldn't get it to work.

I did a class calculator on 247 just for fun to see where we would be if our next 9 commits happened soon. They were:

Amani Bledsoe

Xavier Kelly

Isaiah Simmons

Boe Wilson

Matt Farniok

Jack Stoll

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Noah Fant

It would put us at about 218 points. Which would currently be good for about 6-7 in the country. Obviously other schools are going to get commits but it was good to know that these 9 are very strong possibilities and would really boost the class. Also good is that I think there would be room for a couple more. Pretty encouraging.

Can you add just Stoll and Domann to see what we look like? I tried and couldn't get it to work.

Amani Bledsoe

Xavier Kelly

Isaiah Simmons

Boe Wilson

Matt Farniok

Jack Stoll

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Noah Fant

Just Stoll and Domann would put us at 169.54 which would be good for about 20th in current standings

Amani Bledsoe

Xavier Kelly

Isaiah Simmons

Boe Wilson

Matt Farniok

Jack Stoll

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Noah Fant

Just Stoll and Domann would put us at 169.54 which would be good for about 20th in current standings

We'd have a great class if we ended up with half of those guys, and our second choice for the ones we missed on. :thumbs:

Amani Bledsoe

Xavier Kelly

Isaiah Simmons

Boe Wilson

Matt Farniok

Jack Stoll

JoJo Domann

Greg Simmons

Noah Fant

If we are in the top 20 in the standings at NSD, count me as thoroughly impressed by the effort and execution of the new staff in regards to recruiting. Pulling that off in their first season would be very impressive. To me, it would show that a coach with a wealth of experience actually develops a plan to expand our exposure in an efficient way while setting up a strong base for the future. To me, this is the area where the previous staff was lacking, although I didn't really recognize it until I saw how this new staff goes about the process.

• Fire 1