Riley vs Pelini Win Loss

This may have already been posted in another thread, but I have heard a lot of people talk about Pelini as having a much better win-loss record than Mike Riley. I've done some digging and i'm not so sure about that...

Look at their coaching Careers since 2003...

Riley - 8-5, Head Coach, won las vegas bowl vs new mexico

Pelini - 10-3, DC, interim HC, won alamo bowl vs michigan state

Riley - 7-5, Head Coach, won insight bowl

Pelini - 12-1, CoDC Oklahoma, played for national championship against USC and lost

Riley - 5-6, Head Coach, no bowl game

Pelini - 11-2, DC LSU, played in peach bowl and beat Miami

Riley - 10-4, Head Coach, played in sun bowl and beat Missouri

Pelini - 11-2, DC LSU, played in sugar bowl and beat Notre Dame

Riley - 9-4, Head Coach, beat Maryland in the Emerald Bowl

Pelini - 12-2, DC LSU, won national championship against Ohio State

Riley - 9-4, Head Coach, beat Pittsburgh in the Sun Bowl

Pelini - 9-4, Head Coach NU, beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl

Riley - 8-5, Head Coach, lost to BYU in Las Vegas Bowl

Pelini - 10-4, Head Coach NU, beat Arizona in Holiday Bowl

Riley - 5-7, Head Coach, no bowl game

Pelini - 10-4, Head Coach NU, lost to Washington in holiday bowl

Riley - 3-9, Head Coach, no bowl game

Pelini - 9-4, Head Coach, lost to South Carolina in Capitol One Bowl

Riley - 9-4, Head Coach, lost to Texas in Alamo bowl

Pelini - 10-4, Head Coach, lost to Georgia in Capitol One Bowl

Riley - 7-6, Head Coach, beat Boise State in Hawaii bowl

Pelini - 9-4, Head Coach, beat Georgia in Gator Bowl

Riley - 5-7, Head Coach, no bowl game

Pelini - 9-4, lost to USC in Holiday Bowl

Here it clearly looks like Pelini is the better coach.

But let's also look at the recruiting rankings...

2002 - Nebraska 40th, Oregon State 52nd, Oklahoma 7th, LSU 15th

2003 - Nebraska 42nd, Oregon State 51st, Oklahoma 4th, LSU 1st

2004 - Oklahoma 11th, Oregon State 31st, LSU 2nd, Nebraska 58th

2005 - Nebraska 5th, Oregon State 47th, LSU 22nd

2006 - Nebraska 20th, Oregon State 41st, LSU 7th

2007 - Nebraska 13th, Oregon State 47th, LSU 4th

2008 - Nebraska 30th, Oregon State 52nd

2009 - Nebraska 28th, Oregon State 54th

2010 - Nebraska 22nd, Oregon State 44th

2011 - Nebraska 15th, Oregon State 56th

2012 - Nebraska 25th, Oregon State 39th

2013 - Nebraska 17th, Oregon State 39th

2014 - Nebraska 32nd, Oregon State 54th

2015 - Nebraska 31st, Oregon State 71st

It is clear that Pelini had much better talent to work with. It is also clear that Callahan was a much better recruiter than Pelini and that Pelini walked into a team stockpiled with talent. This makes sense why the defense was so good Pelini's first two years and then got worse as time went on. He wasn't able to recruit the caliber players Callahan recruited. Pelini did really well at Oklahoma when he had top 10 recruiting classes and ran the defense only. He did really well at LSU when he had top 15 recruiting classes and ran the defense only. He also did really well at Nebraska with defense when he inherited two top 15 classes and ran the defense. If you remember he let Watson run the offense and the offense did horrible.

This past class, even before Pelini got fired, was shaping up to be the worst recruiting class in Nebraska in 10 years. We also lost most of the high caliber players from the 2011 class, many of whom didn't feel like they were being given fair chances to play. I think Pelini, a perfectionist and an introvert by nature, couldn't handle the duties that went along with being a HC off the field, and I think he got really frustrated with the players that weren't top notch skilled. Over the past few years you could tell Pelini wasn't enjoying his job anymore... he seemed to make less efforts in recruiting, had a worse attitude, and seemed worn out by the job.

Look at Riley's recruiting classes over the past 12 years... His best class was rated 31st. He never coached a top 25 class... yet he still had 4 nine win seasons. He put about the same number of players in the NFL as Pelini did, and these guys had fewer stars coming out of high school. Yeah he had 8 season of 5 losses or more, but he won as many games as Pelini 2006-2009 and he had recruiting classes ranked in the 40's and 50's with no walk on program like Nebraska's. Pelini's classes those years were mostly top 20.

People want to look at Mike Riley and say he is going to be a worse coach than Pelini... but it's comparing apples to oranges. He's never had a top 20 recruiting class. This year he has the past 4 classes of 25th, 17th, 32nd, and 31st to work with. At Oregon State he would have had 39th, 39th, 54th, and 71st. This year his staff is on track to pull the 35th best class, while oregon state is 73rd.

Now... many of you will say, who cares about recruiting rankings, they don't mean anything. But Look at who is winning national championships and where their athletes are ranked.

Ohio State -

2015 - 9th

2014 - 3rd

2013 - 2nd

2012 - 4th

2011 - 11th

Florida State -

2014 - 4th

2013 - 10th

2012 - 6th

2011 - 2nd

2010 - 10th

Alabama -

2014 - 1st

2013 - 1st

2012 - 1st

2011 - 1st

2010 - 5th

2009 - 1st

Auburn -

2010 - 4th

2009 - 19th

2008 - 20th

2009 - 7th

2008 - 10th

Look at what Pelini Had with Oklahoma and LSU and his first couple of years at Nebraska

Oklahoma -

2004 - 11th

2003 - 4th

2002 - 7th

LSU -

2007 - 4th

2006 - 7th

2005 - 22nd

2004 - 2nd

2003 - 1st

2002 - 15th

Nebraska -

2008 - 30th

2007 - 13th (class with amukamara, haag, crick, asante, helu, paul, etc all in the NFL)

2006 - 20th

2005 - 5th (class with suh, dillard, bowman, etc all in the NFL)

If you compare the talent at the places Pelini has been with the talent at the places Riley has been there is no question they have not coached the same caliber of teams. Riley sure did seem to win a lot of bowl games. He sure did seem to get the most out of his players. He sure did seem to have the fans and the media's love. There is no doubt Pelini can coach top caliber players playing in college with NFL skill sets, but he couldn't coach the players that didn't have top end skill sets... he got frustrated with them and benched them... or he got frustrated with them and yelled at them. Pelini flourishes when he gets to focus on defense only, and his defense is a top 10-15 class talent with a solid 2 deep of that level of talent. I think Riley is a better fit for NU since we will consistently be in the high 20's with our classses... we have to have the guy that can coach up the middle level talent and mature the still growing players to reach their maximum potential.

What the numbers tell me is that Pelini was always on great teams.. and when he wasn't he didn't win as much, the pressure got to him and his perfectionistic mentality became abrasive more and more as he didn't have as much talent to work with and more was expected of him.

• Fire 7

Yeah, comparing Pelini/Riley win-loss records is like comparing apples to watermelons. But that's just the sort of thing we do in the offseason. :lol:

Another point of comparison is coaching offers. I seems to recall that, over the years, Riley has had offers (or consideration?) to coach Alabama, USC and UCLA. When Pelini became available eight months ago ... (crickets).

Just sayin...

• Fire 2

Yeah, comparing Pelini/Riley win-loss records is like comparing apples to watermelons. But that's just the sort of thing we do in the offseason. :lol:

Another point of comparison is coaching offers. I seems to recall that, over the years, Riley has had offers (or consideration?) to coach Alabama, USC and UCLA. When Pelini became available eight months ago ... (crickets).

Just sayin...

ya but YSU isn't a stepping stone its a fit for family reasons.... and no one wanted him

I'd like to see some deeper analytics between the two as far as win percentage against teams when favored, and numbers regarding ranked teams as well.

Uh oh...now the "The line doesn't mean anything about who Vegas thinks will win" crowd is going to be out in full force.

Didn't even know that was a group of people.

I'd like to see some deeper analytics between the two as far as win percentage against teams when favored, and numbers regarding ranked teams as well.

Uh oh...now the "The line doesn't mean anything about who Vegas thinks will win" crowd is going to be out in full force.

Didn't even know that was a group of people.

It is a HUGE group.

Just sayin...

Good point regarding the crickets. The people that know... know. Reputation speaks louder than a loud mouth.

"I think Riley is a better fit for NU since we will consistently be in the high 20's with our classses... we have to have the guy that can coach up the middle level talent and mature the still growing players to reach their maximum potential."

Gotta admit, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this much less blew a gasket over it. I agree with it. While we may occasionally crack the top 20 for a recruiting class, I highly doubt our average recruiting class comes in much better than mid-20's. It became quite obvious that without top notch talent, Bo's teams were going to get taken behind the shed by teams with a pulse. Over the years, great players have masked some pretty glaring problems with Bo's defense.

Is this Bo guy a coach at Nebraska? Why should I care about this guy. What is he going to do for Nebraska today, besides badmouth us to anyone who would listen.

He is gone, do you guys stand over the toilet and wave good bye and pine for what left. Same difference.