DPE Injured: Out 6-8 weeks.

Did anybody think that DPE was going to be THAT much of a difference maker with a new staff and new schemes to learn?

Yes.

I agree, this hurts but, I also don't think it amounts to7 or 10 points per game as some have made a case for. Our whole return game may be worth those type of points but we will still have a return game. Somebody is going to have to step up and pick up the slack. The replacement likely won't be as dynamic or productive as DPE has shown he can be but we've got other athletes, some of whom I'm sure have some speed and wiggle. Yes, probably a lower probability of taking it to the house or flipping the field the field as much but hopefully still a respectable return game. And he may be back before the majority of our conference games. We'll survive me thinks....just may not be as fun to watch those first 5 or so games.

You're absolutely right. This totally sucks, but claiming it is a 7 to 10 point difference is borderline absurd. From a gambling/vegas perspective it hardly made a dent. Yesterday the line for the BYU game was -6.5. Today it is still -6.5 some places and -6 other places. This is a bad loss, and I feel horrible for DPE, but generally speaking it is not the difference between winning and losing a close game.

I suppose you beat me to the punch as this is the post right before mine which didn't show on my screen until after I refreshed.

I don't think he's worth 7-10 points, but to say he's not a difference maker is silly. On average he's probably worth 3.5 points/game. Kinda pulling that out of the air but: 5 TDs in 13 games = 2.7 points. Then add what he gives us with field position. Sometimes TDs, sometimes FGs, sometimes nothing. But... that's not including how good he may have been as a WR for the first 6-7 games. And it's also not counting that the back up punt returner, whoever it is, might be pretty good too.

I don't think he's worth 7-10 points, but to say he's not a difference maker is silly. On average he's probably worth 3.5 points/game. Kinda pulling that out of the air but: 5 TDs in 13 games = 2.7 points. Then add what he gives us with field position. Sometimes TDs, sometimes FGs, sometimes nothing. But... that's not including how good he may have been as a WR for the first 6-7 games. And it's also not counting that the back up punt returner, whoever it is, might be pretty good too.

I think that's a pretty good guess at it. But then you also have to figure what the replacement would do. I don't know that we have another guy to do the same but the replacement wouldn't be zero. Even if the replacement calculation would be 1.0-1.5 ppg, the loss would be less than a FG.

Don't get me wrong, DPE is great and he will be missed, as you said. But I agree that 7-10 ppg is way overstated.

• Fire 2

I don't think anybody is saying he's not a difference maker or that this loss doesn't hurt. It sucks. But, we're going to have to rely on the some other players and the system. He's not the only guy on the team that can make some plays. He just happens to be one that we know could make some plays.

Sorry, this sunshine and optimism isn't going away until some actual bad things happen in real games. I've had my fill of being a pessimist for the last few years. I'm going with this is until I can't.

A dedicated special teams coach will tell the returner to secure the ball and get up field. We need a guy who gets north and south fast and hits the crease to get big yards. DPE was amazing at that. Unsure if we have anyone who is like that as he was basically the man last year. Dancing around, trying to get a seem to open is wasted effort. JT, for all the electrifying moves really didn't get a lot of yardage. Blockers can't hold the blocks that long.

Hopefully one of our 10 RB's (or DB's) steps up. With the receiver corp decimated with injury and overuse issues, not to mention lack of experienced depth, I'd be reluctant to use one of them.

Again, IMO, this injury hurts, but a great opportunity to see what this staff can do. IIRC, the previous think tank took some kid and threw him to the wolves on PR and he did all right. Maybe this staff has that same guy waiting in the wings and gets his first nod as a starter at special teams........

The biggest thing DPE had was confidence. Our returners before him had lost that and Tigers partly why they had trouble even catching the ball.

I think the replacement will be a freshman or redshirt freshman.

There were tigers?!?!