Screw you complainers

knapplc

Not reading this whole mess of a thread, so apologies if this has already been covered.... but to 74Hunter and teacherCD and whoever else is sprouting this nonsense of Riley being a worse coach than Pelini:

Let's talk Tommy Armstrong. This coaching staff has done more to develop a competent QB in a few months than Bo's coaching staffs did in 7 years. That guy does not even look like the same player out there from 2014 to 2015. Seriously. Let's ride this thing out for a year or two, then we can see where we are. So far Armstrong is competent and NOT a turnover machine, and that's a substantial improvement on any QB Bo had (not named Joey Ganz, a fifth-year senior who came pre-coached). That's enough for me to look at this year in a positive mindset.

Not to mention improved tackling on the other side of the ball.

And recognizing in less than two games that you have to stop the run to win this conference, and implementing a system to do just that.

Have we stopped the run well in our conference games this season?

I mean, I get what you're trying to say--yes we've done much better against the run, but didn't Pelini teams do well against the run in non-conference as well? Well...you'd be surprised, but the answer to that question is a resounding no. Through two games this year (one against probably our toughest opening day opponent since BP coached his first game) we've surrendered just 151 yards on the ground. In his last two years, Bo Pelini never even sniffed that number.

Last year Pelini's defense gave up 178 yards rushing to McNeese St. alone.

But Louisiana Speed

Just like Popeye's Chicken

Mmmm . . . Popeye's is the best.

Its time to put a stake through the Bolievers!

Qb play is much improved

Tackling is much improved

Receiving is much improved

O-line play is much improved

Linebacker play is much improved

Playcalling is much improved

Run defense is much improved

Half time adjustments, ah yes, half time adjustments again!

Team moral and chemistry is much improved

We have professionals that are teachers and not just yellers.

All this and we have yet to field a team at full strength.

If Riley could win a Conference Championship in his first year, hell any year, that would throw the final shovel of dirt on them.

They should build a statue of Eichorst for fixing one of Tom's biggest mistakes.

Thank you Shawn Eichorst, for making decisions to help make Husker football GREAT again.

CFB playoff, here we come!

• Fire 1

Qb play is much improved

If Riley could win a Conference Championship in his first year, hell any year, that would throw the final shovel of dirt on them.

They should build a statue of Eichorst for fixing one of Tom's biggest mistakes.

Thank you Shawn Eichorst, for making decisions to help make Husker football GREAT again.

No doubt we are seeing improvement. I like the direction we are heading. But lets also be cautious.

Our secondary has struggled a bit. Expected since that was the one area Bo actually had a good grasp on. And kicking I guess. I would also like to see us bring the QB down a bit more.

Our run game has jumped a bit from week 1 to week 2, but lets see how we fare against Miami.

Our penalties need to get fixed quickly or they will kill us come conference play.

Passing game has improved, run defense has improved, receiving has improved, we look like we could be a real offensive threat down the stretch. Look out Canes.

• Fire 1

Qb play is much improved

CFB playoff, here we come!

woohoo!

Qb play is much improved

Simmer down, now.

Even with McNeese State, some of us optimists saw all of the above last season, leading up to Michigan State in Game 6.

I'm high on Mike Riley, but in fairness to the advice I've given his critics, maybe we should all wait a season or three before declaring anything with bold assurance.

• Fire 2

Well that's just weird.

February, 2014:

As for the second paragraph, let's just say that besides the inherent issues at Nebraska (small population, cold, remote, B1G affiliation) let's just say that one of his superiors isn't doing Bo any favors, on the contrary, he is sand bagging the program, for lack of a better word. I've heard this from numerous people, some public, some in private. And, if you connect the dots along with everything that has been said, it's fairly obvious.

September, 2015

... these EXCUSES don't fly. They haven't for the last 14 years, still don't.

I was pumped for this game and season, drinking the Koolaid, looking forward to the new regime, etc. But we're now Oregon State east.

Yeah. Looks like excuses work for one guy . . . but the next guy needs to show IMMEDIATE production.

I think that qualifies.

stock-footage-grinding-the-axe.jpg

It's called being consistent. They were supposedly excuses under the previous staff, so I'm being consistent with that narrative. Didn't fly then, didn't fly for Billy C. or Frank, shouldn't fly now.

No, sir. What you're saying is the precise opposite of being consistent and your bald-faced claims to the contrary won't change that.

Your feelings and your opinion are fine but for goodness sake please be honest about it. You think that Bo Pelini got a raw deal and that he is/was a better coach than Mike Riley. I have no doubt that you have your reasons (which probably include hours of sports talk radio) for thinking that. That said, don't pretend to be fair and balanced when you've made excuses for one and then insisted that there can be no excuses for the other.

Own it.

• Fire 5

Qb play is much improved

Simmer down, now.

Even with McNeese State, some of us optimists saw all of the above last season, leading up to Michigan State in Game 6.

I'm high on Mike Riley, but in fairness to the advice I've given his critics, maybe we should all wait a season or three before declaring anything with bold assurance.

I am ok with waiting, but when there is stark evidence it is hard to ignore. In fairness, the optimists ignored 6 years of evidence that it was not going to get better under 408, some still don't see it after an NCAA record of 408 yards was set against NEBRASKA, not Southern Alabama or FAU or any other school that has fielded a pathetic football team in the last 130 years.

Qb play is much improved

Simmer down, now.

I 100 % concur with this approach.

Not ready to say "we are back" yet.

Remember; ~ It's part of the process! ~ Bo Pelini

Sorry, just thought we owed Bo the rights to that famous line!

• Fire 1

Qb play is much improved

Simmer down, now.

I am ok with waiting, but when there is stark evidence it is hard to ignore. In fairness, the optimists ignored 6 years of evidence that it was not going to get better under 408, some still don't see it after an NCAA record of 408 yards was set against NEBRASKA, not Southern Alabama or FAU or any other school that has fielded a pathetic football team in the last 130 years.

I think your bias is so strong against anything Bo Pelini, that you assume anything different is better.

We were favored in game 1, and by a combination of execution and coaching, we lost the game.

In game 2, we played a much weaker opponent, and won handily.

There were things in each game we did well, and some we struggled with. Some of your points may be true, some may not, and some can not in any way be objectively measured at this point in time. I suggest a wait and see approach before crowning anyone.

• Fire 1

Qb play is much improved

Simmer down, now.

I think your bias is so strong against anything Bo Pelini, that you assume anything different is better.

We were favored in game 1, and by a combination of execution and coaching, we lost the game.

In game 2, we played a much weaker opponent, and won handily.

There were things in each game we did well, and some we struggled with. Some of your points may be true, some may not, and some can not in any way be objectively measured at this point in time. I suggest a wait and see approach before crowning anyone.

Yeah, it really is too early to tell how good this coaching staff is. With any kind of certainty, that is. But even at this early juncture it seems like quite a few of our assistant slots are upgrades over the past regime. Bo had a couple of very good assistant coaches on his staff. But several others were ... not so much.

Someone on another thread claimed Bo Pelini teams just didn't handle success well.

I think that's spot on.

There were multiple games where the play-calling and talent lined up nicely, and the team appeared to have turned a corner.

So every season we played well enough to get into a couple Games That Mattered. The game that would show everyone Big Red was back.

Of course those games were against better teams, but to my eye Nebraska simply came out wound way too tight and beat themselves. On offense, on defense and on special teams. Players made unforced errors they didn't make in other games. Every meltdown looked the same. You couldn't blame a single position coach or coordinator, although we usually did.

Poor schemes and failure to make adjustments aside, when Melvin Gordon was rushing for 408 yards, he was running through the arms of defenders who had given up.

Head coaching is about attitude and chemistry. That's where I think Bo went horribly wrong. I don't mind a few kinks and a little experimenting this season if the chemistry and discipline is constantly improving. I also like to see the team having fun out there, cause it's still a game.

That's why I want to wait a full season and not attach a mandatory number of wins.