How Would You Feel?

How would you feel if NU finished this way.

Illinois - W 38-27

Wisconsin - L 31-28

Minnesota - W 42-36

Northwestern - L 27-24

Purdue - W 41-27

Michigan St L 42-38

Rutgers - W 38-24

Iowa - W 31-28

Finishing 5-3 overall 7-5. No blowouts with lots of tough losses?

Edit - When I posted the scores it was to show close games not to show how many points teams scored on us. I should have been more clear & just said 4 point win or something to that nature.

How would you feel if NU finished this way.

Illinois - W 38-27

Wisconsin - L 31-28

Minnesota - W 42-36

Northwestern - L 27-24

Purdue - W 41-27

Michigan St L 42-38

Rutgers - W 38-24

Iowa - W 31-28

Finishing 5-3 overall 7-6. No blowouts with lots of tough losses?

Your math is wrong, it would be a 7-5 finish.

I wouldn't be thrilled. I am sick of the "no blowouts" talk. I want to see wins.

• Fire 5

Horrible !

What I witnessed from East Stadium on Saturday was hard to watch. It needs fixed THIS WEEK !

There is no reason we shouldn't be expected to win all but one game (MSU) the rest of the way. I we had better be competitive with MSU.

At this point, if we can't fix penalties, then from now on, every opponent attempt at a completion beyond 20 yards better be called for pass interference. Our DB's would be better served by 1st downs and 15-yd penalties as opposed to 35+ yard receptions.

I'm really confident that we are a more *talented* team than Northwestern. And we've got an experienced coaching staff. So, on paper we should be a better team than they are. That's no disrespect to Northwestern - they've fielded a good squad this year. But we should not lose that game.

So I'd be very disappointed with that one.

I would be disappointed.

On one hand, as NUance said, I would feel like we barely survived, at the lowest acceptable level, the first year transition to a new coaching staff but I would also have severe reservations that things would ever improve much. If we consistently give up that many points to a generally offensively weak B1G West division, I would be wanting to see some changes in the defensive plan. I think I would be happy with that level of offensive output. A lot of my opinion would be formed on exactly how those final scores came to be. I am not in the camp of wins and losses being the only thing that matters but I would not be happy with 5 losses. Regardless the talent, or lack thereof, that Bo left behind, I still feel like this coaching staff should do better based on their experience and demeanor. So, losing one more game than the previous regime ever lost would have to cause me to re-evaluate the direction I feel the program is headed.

Something I find a bit hypocritical is the folks who preach that wins and losses are all that matters....that close losses are no better blowouts. If a person wants to have that opinion fine, but don't then come around bitching about how poorly the team, or aspects of the team, performed after a close win like So. Miss. To remain consistent and credible, you can only have it one way. Either it matters how the team plays or the only thing is a W or L. IMO you can't get the win AND bitch and moan about how it came to be. I see a lot of that happening on these pages. Those people look very foolish to me. If a blowout loss is really no worse than a close loss, I wonder why you even watch the games.

• Fire 5

At this point, one could reasonably argue that this team will do just as well with the current coaching staff as it could possibly have done with the prior staff. Yes, we have seen a significant change in the defensive approach to a stop the run first and do what little we can against the pass while stopping the run in contrast to last year's stop the pass no matter what and disregard the run even if we give up record yardage and lose in blow outs, we won't be known as a bad pass defense in memory of our pass defender HC. But, obviously we have seen some decent contributions by several freshman. It seems almost unanimous that Tommy Armstrong is playing MUCH better than last year. We he be doing this well with last year's coaching staff this year? Arguably NOT. Therefore, with much improved quarterbacking, the team should be doing at least as well as it would have with last year's staff. Exactly where would we be doing better, thereby winning more games, with last year's staff? Perhaps with defense, maybe! But we do know that rushing yards are worth more to offensive success than passing yards which suggests the defensive focus on stopping the run might be wise.

But, our pass coverage has been very poor. We will see if improvement is yet to come. With meaningful improvement in pass defense without surrendering run stoppage, we will be certainly a better team than last year, IMO; won/loss record notwithstanding.

Talent has been depleted on OL and on D by so many players that have left the program who should be here - add to that the injuries on D - not surprising we are here.

I would agree wt NUance - we survived a transitional year with a winning record - and to make it more positive, MR had a good recruiting class in spite of (and maybe because of ) the coaching change. That is a net positive. We'll be better next year.