WR Desmond Fitzpatrick [Louisville - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Hope everyone's got their tweets ready to fire at recruits! Make sure you include this year's hashtag: #SadLonelyManWhoDoesntDeserveTwitter

— Tunnel Walk of Shame (@TunnelWalkShame) February 1, 2016

It's funny because it's true.

OMG....if he chooses Louisville some on here will need an emergency room.

Yeah some will. I just get irritated that they don't use all the scholarships available. But WR isn't a huge position of need at this point. If I could trade this kid for a decent 3 star DT/DE prospect, I would.

You do realize that if we sign 20 (where we would be if Lamar commits) we would be using all of our scholarships as of signing day?

We are allowed to over sign by 3 so that is why we have 23 available.

Also.....are you saying the staff didn't try to sign more scholarships?

No, I'm not saying that. It's just a general concern. It's one thing the last staff didn't do a very good job with. I know they are going to come close this year but they should be using the +3 every year.

I guess my point was that I'm less concerned with losing a potential WR than I am with leaving a scholarship open.

If you use the +3 every year, that means you have to guarantee that at least 3 under scholarship will leave the team by Spring.

Doesn't it mean that 3 have to leave the team by the start of fall camp? And I think 3 leaving between spring ball and fall camp is probably a good number (if not on the conservative side). Guys leave every year during that time by either their choice or coaches/schools choice (grades/kicked off).

Have to be at 85 by first day of fall practice!

Unless one of Louisville's songs is "I gotta feeling," his tweet seems like it could refer to "Can you feel it." Sometimes we can read too much into tweets, but in the case of recruits that like the long-drawn out process, they often are sending hints in their tweets. If I were betting I think he is still N as NU's facilities and environment are far ahead of Louisville.

The only thing that might cause him to re-think is the fact that we already have a lot of talent at WR and have Grim and Spielman both as part of the 2016 class (and they are both studs). With KJJ and other top receivers hopefully coming in 2017, maybe he's worried about too many big fish in the pond.

Meh. Honestly I've kind of been expecting this and I'm not too let down. WR is one position we're sitting pretty well at, and it's one that we've had some pretty dang good successes come through in the form of walk-ons.

Best of luck to ya, Dez. Not too worried about this.

I'm in agreement with you on this one. WR is not one of are major areas of need. Now don't get me wrong that picking up more talent at any position is good, but my main concern with the 2016 class is the DL. It will stink if we lose out on Simmons too and finish outside the top 25 again in the recruiting rankings.

Regardless of need this hurts our class. We wanna compete at a higher level we have to finish out on top with recruits like this. Depth may not be an immediate concern, but make no mistake it hurt.

I don't think the coaches did anything wrong here, think he just got swayed at the last minute.