who would we hire?

Swiv3D

Cutcliffe (from Duke) would be a great hire IMO. He's done a great job at Duke in his tenure, and has made them relevant again. He took his team to the ropes with Northwestern. Think he would have been a great hire, though he might not want to leave with the program he is building there.

It's also easier to coach at Duke because there's zero pressure relative to a school like Nebraska. Playing in a bowl game is a successful season for Duke; here, people will start discussing replacing you after losing three of your first five games. Not all coaches are cut out for that kind of pressure and scrutiny.

to be fair....we didnt wait till 3 losses to start talking about firing him....there were many here calling for him to be fired after the first loss.

Cutcliffe (from Duke) would be a great hire IMO. He's done a great job at Duke in his tenure, and has made them relevant again. He took his team to the ropes with Northwestern. Think he would have been a great hire, though he might not want to leave with the program he is building there.

It's also easier to coach at Duke because there's zero pressure relative to a school like Nebraska. Playing in a bowl game is a successful season for Duke; here, people will start discussing replacing you after losing three of your first five games. Not all coaches are cut out for that kind of pressure and scrutiny.

to be fair....we didnt wait till 3 losses to start talking about firing him....there were many here calling for him to be fired after the first loss.

That's true, and I almost wrote that. But the board really blew up after the Illinois game.

The other things about Cutcliffe that people would complain about: he's 61, has had health problems, was fired from Ole Miss when he refused to change some of his staff after a 4-win season, started at Duke with five losing seasons before finally winning 10- and 9-games the last two years. Really, I don't see much difference in "resume" between he and Riley.

Some people are in panic mode. It will change if the Huskers start winning their won games. A few people will continue banging the drum no matter what, but without a lot of other people giving them time they'll become mostly invisible.

it seems like only last year when we had Tressel in as head coach, Frost as OC, and Orgeron as DC. wonder how that worked out for us?

Considering we have a chancellor who doesn't value a successful football program because it over shadows academics, he decided to hire a less than qualified hatchet man, I mean AD, to carry out his plan and get the last laugh in his pissing match with the former coach/AD, so we never got that dream team. And now we're paying for it.

Man, the sock puppet trolled the crap out of us.

• Fire 1

But this is the first time a coach has lost 3 of the first 5 games in over 50 years, so unless you are an incompetent coach you don't need to wory about it.

From time to time I see people suggest that NU isn't what it once was and that no proven successful head coach would have taken the job. FWIW, I think Whittingham would have considered the job if offered and would have been a great hire that logically would have made a lot of sense.He was always my #1 (realistic) target so to speak but we'll never know.

That's all, carry on and GBR. :)

Edited by Thanks_Tom RR
Merged because there is already a thread to discuss alternative coaching hires.

But this is the first time a coach has lost 3 of the first 5 games in over 50 years, so unless you are an incompetent coach you don't need to wory about it.

Is there some sort of special award for that? It's a meaningless statistic.

This is also the first season we lost to BYU. Imagine that! No Husker football team has ever lost to BYU, but somehow Ol' Riley managed to do it in his first game! :rolleyes:

Even if we only win one more game, Mike Riley and Co will most likely last through at least next year. I don't necessarily feel that we should even be debating firing him 5 games into his 1st year. That being said, there are threads that are talking about it so hypothetically if he were fired between now and the end of the season, who do we go after? Keep in mind I'm just being hypothetical so there's no need to defend why Riley should not be fired on this thread.

who would take the job? we consistently fire coaches who are 9-3 (understanding Bo's behavior got him canned as much as anything). At this point, the damage to the program may be such that a new coach would need 3 years to just be competitive with the good teams in this conference. Clearly we struggle with the middle tier teams.

Even if we only win one more game, Mike Riley and Co will most likely last through at least next year. I don't necessarily feel that we should even be debating firing him 5 games into his 1st year. That being said, there are threads that are talking about it so hypothetically if he were fired between now and the end of the season, who do we go after? Keep in mind I'm just being hypothetical so there's no need to defend why Riley should not be fired on this thread.

who would take the job? we consistently fire coaches who are 9-3 (understanding Bo's behavior got him canned as much as anything). At this point, the damage to the program may be such that a new coach would need 3 years to just be competitive with the good teams in this conference. Clearly we struggle with the middle tier teams.

It's this type of logic that totally baffles me. It's all about the almighty dollar. You throw enough $ at someone, they could care less about who was fired in the past. Any coach with any mettle will be confident in his abilities and not be concerned about what might happen if he fails, because failure isn't in his repertoire.

• Fire 1

It's this type of logic that totally baffles me. It's all about the almighty dollar. You throw enough $ at someone, they could care less about who was fired in the past. Any coach with any mettle will be confident in his abilities and not be concerned about what might happen if he fails, because failure isn't in his repertoire.

True it is about the $$. Any we can clearly find coaches with big enough egos to take the job. now find a really good/proven coach that would take this job over all other jobs. given two schools with exactly same finances and facilities, one is NU and the other in the SEC. The NU program appears to have problems getting the highest caliber of talent in the door the SEC school doesn't. both pay the same. which job do you take? My guess is that the coach goes to where they will win the soonest with the best talent pool. they go to the SEC.