Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

You don't know me or know who I am, so I'd appreciate you not making assumptions about me personally or my upbringing.

Your posts told enough, in this case. You might not want to post shallow and flippant remarks if you bristle at the notion of someone saying you come across as shallow and flippant.

Anyhow, you heard it from me, so at least you heard it from someone.

For every one like you I've easily seen 15 - 20 that act like getting laid trumps everything else in life.

Are you confusing what is commonly done with what is the smart thing to do? I don't doubt your math, but I am wondering if you are equating prevalence with "best practices".

Most everybody I know has a few things that they wish they could do over or can start out a sad story with, "They tried to tell me..." Unfortunately, each and every generation seems to have to go through the same brutal, bumpy learning curve, because they think that they are somehow different. Forget about it being sex, it can be student loans, changing the oil in your car, starting on your term paper or thesis in a timely matter, whatever. I guess it is the nature of youth. :dunno

Again, you make large leaps. I simply stated facts. I gave no moral judgement then, nor do I now.

As far as your first reply...I'm only responsible for what I said, not for what you thought I said or how you interpreted what I said.

Edited by Elf

When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest, the media reports it. We aren't going to throw that by the wayside because it involves Nebraska football players.

Except there is no crime, as of yet - it's one reported allegation. There's a difference.

And do you really think stations like KETV and WOWT are going to follow up on this nonsense? We don't even know the suspect yet.

There's a good chance nothing will come of this and if that happens I highly doubt they're going to come out and say "well, sorry, we made a big deal about something that turned into nothing."

No, there won't be an apology, because one isn't warranted. It's a situation that, ethically speaking, the media has an obligation to report. Just as there's an obligation to follow up on it.

As someone else pointed out, the police report exists. That's where the whole story came from.

• Fire 2

When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest, the media reports it. We aren't going to throw that by the wayside because it involves Nebraska football players.

Except there is no crime, as of yet - it's one reported allegation. There's a difference.

And do you really think stations like KETV and WOWT are going to follow up on this nonsense? We don't even know the suspect yet.

There's a good chance nothing will come of this and if that happens I highly doubt they're going to come out and say "well, sorry, we made a big deal about something that turned into nothing."

He said "When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest." That has happened. There is a police report of a significant crime. That is fact.

Police report does not equal crime.

I could go right now to a police station and a file a report saying you killed my dog. An investigation must take place before we know an actual crime took place.

Similarly speaking, a rape kit must be completed and a protocol followed before it can be determined there was a crime.

There is a difference.

I'll wait for the case to settle, but it's another one of those cases where players put themselves in a bad situation for no good reason. I don't buy the 20 year old excuses. At that age my dad had been in the army, was married, had 2 kids, a house, and a job. If he started partying at 12:30 at night that would be a bad decision. I'm sure he partied, but kept it lower key because he knew better to respect his responsibilities and not risk his job doing something stupid. This isn't rocket surgery. These guys should do it simply because in the long run it's better for your prospects and goals. Go home, go to bed, get up earlier, spend an extra hour or two throwing the ball to each other or finishing homework. Instead they are risking their jobs.

These grown up kids should act more like adults if they want to be treated like an adult. But, I think there are a lot of adults that should act more like adults too.

• Fire 1

Rumor going around now is that Tommy is the one being accused of the crime.

It seems highly unlikely considering his quotes. I don't care how dumb he is. Even if he is the accused and was too stupid to realize not to talk to the newspaper, none of his quotes make sense if he is the one.

^^Yeah, exactly. It doesn't make sense, given what Tommy said and how he acted. Where is this rumor from, anyway? Sounds like a Facebook thing. Or maybe from some local coffee shop.

Probably the kind of rumor started by hopeful Iowa fans.

I'll wait for the case to settle, but it's another one of those cases where players put themselves in a bad situation for no good reason. I don't buy the 20 year old excuses. At that age my dad had been in the army, was married, had 2 kids, a house, and a job. If he started partying at 12:30 at night that would be a bad decision. I'm sure he partied, but kept it lower key because he knew better to respect his responsibilities and not risk his job doing something stupid. This isn't rocket surgery. These guys should do it simply because in the long run it's better for your prospects and goals. Go home, go to bed, get up earlier, spend an extra hour or two throwing the ball to each other or finishing homework. Instead they are risking their jobs.

These grown up kids should act more like adults if they want to be treated like an adult. But, I think there are a lot of adults that should act more like adults too.

Now you're insinuating that being a student-athlete is a job. In that case what is their annual salary? That's a whole other can of worms. Comparing your father's life (which he chose) to these kids is arguably pointless.

Let me see who everyone is getting mad at for this incident, and let me know if I missed anyone.

1. The LPD for always targeting Huskers

2. The OWH for "sensational journalism"

3. TA for throwing a party

4. TA for not telling Mike Riley first thing

5. The girl for being a jersey chaser and then reporting a sexual assault.

6. The kids' parents for not telling their kids to keep their ding-dong in their pants.

7. Other message board posters for spreading further rumors.

8. self righteous posters anry at everyone else for talking about the incident

Good one!!!

9. Way too serious people who say we shouldn't be making any "funny posts" about a situation involving such a serious accusation. I understand the sexual assault is a serious situation, however, some of the reactions aren't as "serious".

Let's keep 'em coming!!!

10. Fake Sherlock's that are trying to piece "the case" together

11. Bo Pelini. Because everything bad that happens is somehow all his fault. :lol:

You may be thinking of Carl, just sayin.............

He said "When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest." That has happened. There is a police report of a significant crime. That is fact.

Police report does not equal crime.

I could go right now to a police station and a file a report saying you killed my dog. An investigation must take place before we know an actual crime took place.

Similarly speaking, a rape kit must be completed and a protocol followed before it can be determined there was a crime.

There is a difference.

I understand, bud. However, the post by broganreynik made no mention of whether or not there was a crime. He said it will be reported "When there's a police report of a significant crime at an address of public interest..

That has occurred.

There's no need to be condescending.

"When there is a police report of a significant crime."

There is a police report of a sexual assault allegation.

That is what has occurred. The language being thrown around on here suggests a crime has taken place and there is no public proof of that yet.

• Fire 1

I'm not blaming the OWH at all for what they did. A potential rape happened at the house of the 2 most noticeable/popular football players on this year's team. TA and JW are celebrities. Like it or not, celebrity news gets reported more that "normal" news, its just what happens now. If this happened at Iowa or Oklahoma or Alabama do you think that their local newspapers would not have reported it? And the article/headline does not state that TA, JW, or TF are suspects, just that the incident happened at their house.

IMO its probably better this came out now. This was going to come out at some point. Be it now or one week or one month down the road. Imagine the s***storm that would have happened if this came out in a month and now people are asking UNL questions about how they "covered up" a potential rape at the house of the starting QB and WR.

Do you know how many rapes are reported to UNL? Several a week. They investigate every single one, but most turn into nothing or there's little to prove anything happened. They probably "cover up", as you put it, several rapes simply because they never amount to a charge/arrest.

Now, I won't deny that being a "celebrity" or a public figure of sorts is often reason to report news you wouldn't normally report. But, are you saying because TA and JW are celebrities they deserve to have their names forever tied to a heinous crime that there's currently no factual proof they had anything to do with?

Do they deserve to have their names dragged through the mud if they didn't do anything? No.

But as others have said, the OWH just reported the facts of the case. Something happened at the player's house. The OWH never targeted them at suspects. If they are not suspects and did not do anything wrong, it will come out in time. It would suck for them that they were associated with the crime, but sh#t happens in life.

If Perlman/Ricketts were having a cocktail party at his house and someone was allegedly raped in a bathroom, do you not think that it would have been reported the same way?

They reported one solitary fact with no context. As such, you now have several groups of formed opinions: either the girl is a (insert unsavory name here), the football players are suspects or the 'let's wait for more information' crowd. There's more to journalism than just reporting facts. Simply by including their names in the article, and in some cases even the headline, an association has been drawn. And now even rumors one of the players is the suspect. Do you see how this is a huge ethical problem?

And put yourself in TA's shoes, or JW's shoes. Would your mindset really be "oh well, sh#t happens" if your name was forever tied to a rape accusation? I doubt it. But even if you don't care, that's another huge ethical problem.

In terms of Ricketts/Perlman, I would still hope more facts would be presented before we just said "alleged rape in their bathroom!" and provided nothing else.

I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree. I don't see anything wrong with what the OWH did. They reported facts that we know now on an alleged crime.

And you mention the rumors going around now because they reported it. Well, if the OWH/LJS just reported "an alleged rape at a north Lincoln home", there would still be plenty or rumors floating around. Probably the same rumors would have come to the surface in that instance as they are now. Not reporting it in the news doesn't mean that people would have not known about it. Kids talk and it would have hit the message boards sooner or later.

WOWT Channel 6 out of Omaha sent a reporter to knock on the door at Tommy's house. Stay classy, media!

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Rape-Reported-at-Lincoln-Home-Records-Show-Husker-Players-Live-There-351130041.html

This is an example of being over the top. I do not condone it one bit.

Now you're insinuating that being a student-athlete is a job. In that case what is their annual salary?

Sean Callahan said last night on KFAB that each of the three players receives $1,300 a month for off campus living expenses. So in that case, it is at least $15,600.

Let me see who everyone is getting mad at for this incident, and let me know if I missed anyone.

1. The LPD for always targeting Huskers

2. The OWH for "sensational journalism"

3. TA for throwing a party

4. TA for not telling Mike Riley first thing

5. The girl for being a jersey chaser and then reporting a sexual assault.

6. The kids' parents for not telling their kids to keep their ding-dong in their pants.

7. Other message board posters for spreading further rumors.

8. self righteous posters anry at everyone else for talking about the incident

Good one!!!

9. Way too serious people who say we shouldn't be making any "funny posts" about a situation involving such a serious accusation. I understand the sexual assault is a serious situation, however, some of the reactions aren't as "serious".

Let's keep 'em coming!!!

10. Fake Sherlock's that are trying to piece "the case" together

11. Bo Pelini. Because everything bad that happens is somehow all his fault. :lol:

#10 is my favorite. #4 seems kinda valid though... especially after already talking to the press. I'm actually surprised Riley hasn't developed some sort of facial tick this season. eyeswear2allthatsholy