Hank Hughes no longer with team

gbr93

I think it was pure recruiting failure. I also would not be surprised if MR's hand was forced here. The powers that be aren't as oblivious as we think. My guess is this was a sacrifice to sate the more vocal parts of the fan base/boosters who wanted something done.

I don't think D line was the worst coached position group by a longshot this year though.

Read is the one I would have liked to have seen canned, but this is probably for the best. DL is just not an area where you can fail as badly as we did this year with recruiting. We have some good pieces now but another year of lackluster recruiting on the line would be a disaster.

I thought Ek & Bo butted heads. I don't know that it was ever apparent why. The murmurs included Ek's recruiting tact. I thought it was clear that of the coaching moves Bo made, only Sanders and maybe Carl was a situation where his hand was forced.

Anyway, Bo's call was to replace him with Ross Els for the next four years. Water under the bridge; now we have Bray.

I think it's hard to deny that DL coaching was not very strong this year. I would've been OK with keeping Hughes and giving him another go of it, but obviously Riley has a better view of the situation and made the unexpected call after just one season. It's not easy to get both a good teacher & a good recruiter, and of course all eyes will be on the latter for the next guy.

Ek butted heads more with Carl as I understood it

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!

If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hitting

defensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

• Fire 1

If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hitting

defensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

Welcome back kbb...

I think it was pure recruiting failure. I also would not be surprised if MR's hand was forced here. The powers that be aren't as oblivious as we think. My guess is this was a sacrifice to sate the more vocal parts of the fan base/boosters who wanted something done.

I don't think D line was the worst coached position group by a longshot this year though.

Read is the one I would have liked to have seen canned, but this is probably for the best. DL is just not an area where you can fail as badly as we did this year with recruiting. We have some good pieces now but another year of lackluster recruiting on the line would be a disaster.

A lamb has been sacrificed.

But all the major people in positions of authority, including coaches... who got us to where we're at... remain in place.

A lamb has been sacrificed.

But all the major people in positions of authority... who got us where we're at... remain in place.

Harvey will be gone soon thank God.

Great, it's the guy that sensationalizes Texas High School football and doesn't add any true value to the conversation!!!

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hittingdefensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

From high school position coach to power 5 position coach? Wow. Just wow.

I'm all for bringing in a guy with Hawaiian ties!If you really want someone wirth very strong ties to the "Tongan Comminuty ... go to Uless, Texas (DFW Area) and check out the staff at Uless Trinity. That is a Texas powerhouse football program that is known for it's stour defenses and power run game. They may have a D-line coach ready for the next level. they also have a large Tongan comminity there. To get an idea google Trinity Trojans-HAKA. Trionity has produced some vicious hard hittingdefensive players over the years. Uless, Texas has a very large tongan community that has produced some very solid football players over the years as well as several Championships lately

Art Briles and Gus Malzhan say Hi...

Can also add Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze and Jeremy Pruitt to name a few. It is becoming a trend for HCs in the college ranks to hire HS coaches.

• Fire 2

Great, it's the guy that sensationalizes Texas High School football and doesn't add any true value to the conversation!!!

His post fits the narrative more then your post.

Many on here have liked the idea of having a Samoan or " Island guy " on staff because it could play in to our advantage when it comes to big Samoan linemen.

They have every right to brag, but, count me in the portion of the fan base that is uninterested in hearing about it or really talking about it anymore. They deserve every accolade thrown their direction, but I think this program's success in the 90's has also become one of it's greatest curses. Everything is constantly compared and referenced to that era and we almost exclusively use players from that era to give us analysis of the program.

In regards to Peter, I think that's a suggestion that should be put to bed. There are dozens of candidates that have better recruiting connections and that needs to be one of the top priorities for this hire outside of coaching ability.

LOL

So those who have never achieved success now want to banish those who have achieved great success.

Rather than learn from those who achieved success... the little darlings who have not achieved success don't want to be compared to those who have... or be reminded of it.. because their little feelings get hurt.

How are you going to have success if there's no one around who knows how to do that ?

Jeez...

If I can add my $0.02, I don't think Hughes leaving had anything to do with his ability to coach the DL. It was a patchwork front 4 all year. I would bet not too many other coaches would have got more production out of it.

I think the stage was too big for Hughes recruiting abilities and it pulled the curtain back and exposed him as a liability in that regard.

Twitter banter between local writers/radio personalities can provide a lot of tea leaves for a guy to interpret however he would like. From what I've gathered from those conversations on Twitter, it sounds like it was a decision based on recruiting (obviously), and maybe the relationships he had with his players. There was a local writer on Twitter (can't remember which one) who linked Hughes to being a possible reason Valentine decided to jump to the NFL despite a disappointing Junior season.....

Can also add Jeff Traylor, Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze and Jeremy Pruitt to name a few. It is becoming a trend for HCs in the college ranks to hire HS coaches.

Didnt the head coach of that Las Vegas HS we got Gates from get the UNLV head coaching job?

Didnt the head coach of that Las Vegas HS we got Gates from get the UNLV head coaching job?
Yes he did. Bishop Gorman HS, a big powerhouse HS in Las Vegas.