Who will be the next DL Coach??????

Stumpy1

McClure is nice because players like him, he already knows what living in Nebraska is like and has ties here/comes back, he can coach O-Line, D-Line and can recruit well, he has a lot of experience, and seems like a character guy. Guys like Turner Gill wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't. Plus he worked with a variety of guys at a variety of positions on helping them with the NFL stuff and those guys all went on to do pretty well. He just fits all the check offs. I think we could pay him more and I also think he might have a little more job stability here with Mora most likely gone soon and Riley here at least 2-3 more years.

• Fire 1

Is Angus the biggest name that is being thrown around in the rumor mill? I really hope MR makes a solid hire here...do we someone in the position of recruiting coordinator right now? Sorry to ask, just a little too lazy to look it up!

One advantage to Angus is that he is the recruiting coordinator for UCLA, so he knows how to recruit and land talent out of LA and the SoCal area.

Obviously he could only enhance the CA recruiting efforts, but CA doesn't appear to be an area where we are having difficulty at this point. I would like to know what his abilities in Texas and the SEC footprint are.
I guess I'm not ready/wanting to put our eggs in the Texas basket. Too many powers their right now.

Texas and A&M are always going to get theirs.

TCU, Baylor, Houston are insanely hot.

OU is basically Texas (although they go to Cali a lot too).

Then you have the SEC teams picking. And Ohio State historically recruits Texas exceptionally well.

Bray is a stud recruiter with Texas connections and struggles down there.

No one is suggesting that we need to be devoted to Texas and/or the SEC footprint. I'm not even suggesting McClure would be inefficient here. But even the coaches said it was a concern that they didn't recruit Texas well.
I understand, wasnt meaning to poke at your post. Was just posting my thoughts that were on the same subject.

I'd like to see somewhat better presence in Texas, but a hire that can solidify CA even more would be great, too. Really I think it can be hard to pick and choose where a coach has his connections. I wouldn't want that to be a priority. Really, even any kind of stud recruiter is a luxury, since it wouldn't take much to improve upon Hughes. Recruiting would be preferred but let's make sure he's a good coach foremost.

I'd like to see somewhat better presence in Texas, but a hire that can solidify CA even more would be great, too. Really I think it can be hard to pick and choose where a coach has his connections. I wouldn't want that to be a priority. Really, even any kind of stud recruiter is a luxury, since it wouldn't take much to improve upon Hughes. Recruiting would be preferred but let's make sure he's a good coach foremost.

This is where people need to be careful. McClure was very good at getting CA kids to commit to one of the main CA schools. There really isn't any proof that it translates to him being able to do what you suggest.

• Fire 2

The same could be said for Riley, who was established in CA but recruiting to Oregon State. Of course it's different recruiting to different schools, but if you want location recruiting credentials, then I think you could hardly ask for more than a combination of 1) reputation as a good recruiter and 2) established ties/experience working that area.

But I think we generally agree that this aspect of a potential hire is a bonus that you can't really count on, or base the decision on. If that's what you are saying?

This is where people need to be careful. McClure was very good at getting CA kids to commit to one of the main CA schools. There really isn't any proof that it translates to him being able to do what you suggest.

That seems logical. Wouldn't he have strong relationships with HS programs/coaches in CA though? :dunno

That would help a lot during recruiting out there more than nothing at all.

That seems logical. Wouldn't he have strong relationships with HS programs/coaches in CA though? :dunno

I'm sure he does have strong ties to CA high school programs. But there is no way to say, right now, that if he were to come to Nebraska that it would somehow automatically translate to any number of CA kids choosing NU over some other school. That's all I am saying.

I'm sure he does have strong ties to CA high school programs. But there is no way to say, right now, that if he were to come to Nebraska that it would somehow automatically translate to any number of CA kids choosing NU over some other school. That's all I am saying.

Yeah, no I get that it. It is reasonable to temper the recruiting hopes in CA based on what you said. I peek at recruiting here and there but don't get into the hoopla. So I was wondering if having HS connections with certain coaches could help persuade some of the high motor, blue collar, diamond in the rough, 2* guys that don't mind bolting sunny California :P

McClure is nice because players like him, he already knows what living in Nebraska is like and has ties here/comes back, he can coach O-Line, D-Line and can recruit well, he has a lot of experience, and seems like a character guy. Guys like Turner Gill wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't. Plus he worked with a variety of guys at a variety of positions on helping them with the NFL stuff and those guys all went on to do pretty well. He just fits all the check offs. I think we could pay him more and I also think he might have a little more job stability here with Mora most likely gone soon and Riley here at least 2-3 more years.

In regard to living here and fitting in Chris Kiffin makes a lot of sense, his wife was on Yuri's staff for a number of years

Exactly, this cannot be stressed enough.