Gun Control

• 1 month later...

I worry this is going to be a really really bad year for violent attacks. Murders were already way up last year and as things open up I have a bad feeling that these sorts of incidences will be rather common. Between the political and racial divides we are seeing and the scores of unaddressed mental health issues from the past year's social isolation it all seems like a powder keg for more violence.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

I worry this is going to be a really really bad year for violent attacks. Murders were already way up last year and as things open up I have a bad feeling that these sorts of incidences will be rather common. Between the political and racial divides we are seeing and the scores of unaddressed mental health issues from the past year's social isolation it all seems like a powder keg for more violence.

I believe mass shootings were way down during the pandemic, probably because crowds and businesses were shut down.  So, it only stands to reason, if the underlying problem hasn't been fixed that they will go up as society opens back up.

• Plus1 1
On 3/17/2021 at 2:37 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I believe mass shootings were way down during the pandemic, probably because crowds and businesses were shut down.  So, it only stands to reason, if the underlying problem hasn't been fixed that they will go up as society opens back up.

I thought the exact same thing as you did, but after Boulder today I decided to look it up. Apparently 2020 was the worst year for mass shootings yet according to how some define the term. That shocked me.

This is just off of a quick glance, but it appears there weren't many high profile public shootings last year. I guess a bunch of family muder-suicides and shootings in certain communities generally don't drive the national conversation like others do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

I thought the exact same thing as you did, but after Boulder today I decided to look it up. Apparently 2020 was the worst year for mass shootings yet according to how some define the term. That shocked me.

This is just off of a quick glance, but it appears there weren't many high profile public shootings last year. I guess a bunch of family muder-suicides and shootings in certain communities generally don't drive the national conversation like others do.

Could also just be the unprecedented nature of the epidemic crowding them out of newsrooms and the Trump effect of his nonsense sucking the air out of a lot of news cycles as well.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Our gun culture makes us seem like a bunch of dips#!ts. We've decided these massacres are the price of having our precious pew pews freely on demand. 

I'm sure this will be, if it hasn't already been, twisted into a false flag event perpetrated by the left to "take muh guns". 

Or Antifa.

Or it happened in a gun-free zone and if it wasn't for the gun-free zone some heroic cowboy would have taken this slug down before he could have harmed anyone.  

This is never going to change in our country.  It, as much as anything, is what divides us even though something like over 80% of Americans want stronger gun control laws.  

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What specific gun control laws do you want in place that currently are not? 

Universal background checks, ban assault rifles, cooling off period, close the gun show loopholes.  Personally I say melt all of them down but then again I don't feel the need to be all butch by having an arsenal in my truck? 

I do want to own a nuclear weapon though.  Isn't that my right to bear arms?

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And here I thought we could have a reasonable conversation about what changes in gun control legislation could result in less crime.  I guess not.  

It's a joke.  Sorry.

Edit: but it does point out the ridiculousness of some of the arms people think they need to defend themselves.  Where would you draw the line?

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And here I thought we could have a reasonable conversation about what changes in gun control legislation could result in less crime.  I guess not.  

It's actually no different than someone saying "Libs want to take all our guns away".

It's two extremes.  So, I'm assuming you believe we shouldn't be able to own nuclear weapons.  So, there is some limit to the type of weapon we should be allowed to own.  The next step in the conversation is, where is that limit?  Assault weapons have killed way more Americans than nuclear weapons.  

Where is that limit for you?

• Plus1 4