Banker Looks to Limit Explosive Plays

"No matter what the cut-up is, whether it's a cut-up of a coverage, a front, a particular call … you look at it, golly, there's minus-yardage plays, there's zeroes, there's 1s, there's 2s, and then all of a sudden right in the middle of it, there's one for 42 (yards),” Banker says. "And you're going, 'Holy s---.' I think a prime example of that would be the Iowa game."

The Husker defense had far, far more good plays than bad ones in that game. In fact, the Hawkeyes had just 250 yards of offense, snapping the ball only 44 times, because they could not convert one third down (0-for-9) against the Huskers.
And yet Iowa won 28-20. Because of the turnovers, absolutely, but also because Jordan Canzeri ripped off two long touchdown runs on consecutive third-quarter plays where the Blackshirts simply lost their way.
A 29-yard touchdown run by Canzeri was the first blow. Then the Husker offense mounted an 11-play, 75-yard drive to cut Iowa’s lead to 21-17. Nebraska fans came to life. Then came the second blow to erase all that, one play later, a 67-yard run for Canzeri that would have been a score in flag football.

LJS

Hopefully a more experienced secondary should cut down on the explosive plays. Also, this is kind of besides the point, but didn't Gerry get ejected in the Iowa game? Feel like that also might've had something to do with Iowa's two long TD runs in the second half.

For being our only loss in the last 4 games we played, that Iowa loss wasn't really that bad, and was much closer than the 8 point difference it wound up being.

• Fire 1

Hopefully a more experienced secondary should cut down on the explosive plays. Also, this is kind of besides the point, but didn't Gerry get ejected in the Iowa game? Feel like that also might've had something to do with Iowa's two long TD runs in the second half.

For being our only loss in the last 4 games we played, that Iowa loss wasn't really that bad, and was much closer than the 8 point difference it wound up being.

If Tommy doesn't play like complete crap in that game, it's not even close. With more experience, I expect a reduction in explosive plays as well.

The first long run was immediately after Gerry got ejected. The other one was same play at the same safety. Had Gerry not gotten ejected, we win that game IMO.

• Fire 3

For as much hand wringing there is on HB about the offense, this season is going to hinge on the defense.

We can't allow mediocre QBs to throw for 300+ on us (I'm looking at you Mitch Liedner and Joel Stave). We can't allow teams to move the ball at will against us in the final 2 minutes of a game (BYU, So Miss, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern). We can't allow crappy teams to run the same play 10 times and gain 20 each time.

I hope that we see some addition by subtraction on the DL. I hope that the coaching change in the secondary pays off. I hope that Lamar Jackson is the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders. I hope that the LBs stay healthy all year and take a step forward. But I remain skeptical until live action hits in September.

• Fire 3

The first long run was immediately after Gerry got ejected. The other one was same play at the same safety. Had Gerry not gotten ejected, we win that game IMO.
I would agree with that sentiment, funny stat that Iow@ only had 250 yards in total offense even with the 98 yards on those 2 plays. Iow@ was on pace to being limited to less than 175 yards of total offense.......wow.
  • Fire 1

I would agree with that sentiment, funny stat that Iow@ only had 250 yards in total offense even with the 98 yards on those 2 plays. Iow@ was on pace to being limited to less than 175 yards of total offense.......wow.

Absolutely

If Tommy doesn't play like complete crap in that game, it's not even close. With more experience, I expect a reduction in explosive plays as well.

It was a recipe for disaster. If you don't include our game with them, they would've been ranked 23rd in the country for # of interceptions. If you include our game but they'd only gotten 1 interception (below their average) they would've been 14th in the country. This is in a conference that doesn't pass much.

I know I was pissed during and after the game but Iowa was good at this part of the game and Nebraska was bad. We shouldn't have been too surprised by it.

A defensive coordinator that is going to try to make his defense better than it was before?

I'm shocked I tell you.

yes, quite the novel comment;..stop the big plays.....yawn

I'm excited to hear that they will try to stop the big plays because stopping the little plays is so boring.

​Actually what I've seen is not much luck stopping the intermediate, chain moving plays. I think they should NOT, let me stress NOT, get 8 yards a play every time they throw the ball. That's just me.....maybe I'm a stickler for stopping drives??

• Fire 1

For as much hand wringing there is on HB about the offense, this season is going to hinge on the defense.

We can't allow mediocre QBs to throw for 300+ on us (I'm looking at you Mitch Liedner and Joel Stave). We can't allow teams to move the ball at will against us in the final 2 minutes of a game (BYU, So Miss, Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern). We can't allow crappy teams to run the same play 10 times and gain 20 each time.

I hope that we see some addition by subtraction on the DL. I hope that the coaching change in the secondary pays off. I hope that Lamar Jackson is the 2nd coming of Deion Sanders. I hope that the LBs stay healthy all year and take a step forward. But I remain skeptical until live action hits in September.

Uhhhhh, two NFL draft picks later and you hope for addition by subtraction? What?

• Fire 1

Uhhhhh, two NFL draft picks later and you hope for addition by subtraction? What?

Isn't being a fan hoping that the guys who replace the previous years starters are better (even if facts tell you otherwise)?