Bring back the round style helmet

It's all player preference, but I will say that the riddell speed, 360, and flex are comfy AF. They have this padded lining inside them that make them feel like you're not even wearing the helmet. I've never worn a Schutt so I won't comment on those.

Fully understand that safety is what has led to the evolution of the helmet. However, I've also noticed that some players still wear a traditional round helmet, which I assume still meets all NCAA safety regulations. If not, how could players be wearing it?

Just did a quick search and it looks like Riddel makes the "futuristic" looking helmets most players use and Schutt makes the classic round ones that some players use. If they are both authorized by the NCAA, then it would be up to the team/players.

Look in this picture, player on the left wears the round one and player on the right has the weird looking Riddel speed helmet.

attachicon.gifjavorius-allen-steve-sarkisian-ncaa-football-southern-california-arizona.jpg

Ya, that one on the right is just terrible. Smfh

Just a personal preference but I'm curious what others think. I really hate the new style helmets with the strange cut in the back and the one with that button looking thing on the forehead. They still make a classic round helmet and I think Nebraska helmets look better with the traditional round one. USC seems to favor the classic one as I've seen a lot of their players wearing it. Not sure why the players seem to like the space-like helmets over the football-like ones. I wish we would make a move to the round ones. Anyone else notice this or give a shite?

Sorry one last off-season topic I had to get out of my system before we start taking about real stuff.

I can understand why you want that particular helmet style back. It was a very classic look, and I will agree with you the new modern helmets that we've been using are a little strange, but as has been mentioned they are safer for the players, and many players believe they are more comfortable as well.

During the 80's and through the early 2000's Nebraska used helmets from Schutt similar to these:

mVLqNxghpmI7zDm_K5Hmb9w.jpg

Schutt still makes a modern day helmet with that classic look, but it is much safer compared to the ones used in the 90's. Its called the Schutt Air XP Pro:

From Schutt about the Air XP Pro:

The Air XP Pro continues to evolve with modern demands and features the latest generation of TPU Cushioning, SUREFIT Air Liner and lightweight materials. Delivers superior impact absorption and performance in a traditional helmet shell and standoff. Cost: $234

nebraska-cornhuskers-schutt-xp-authentic

Somewhere during the later years or right after the Callahan era Nebraska began using the Riddell Revolution helmet:

From Riddell on the Riddell Revolution:

The Riddell Revolution was the first major football helmet innovation in 25 years. Since that time, more than a million youth, high school, college and pro players have made the switch to the Riddell Revolution family of helmets. Cost: $201

Nebraska+full-size+Riddell+Revolution+fr

It wasn't until around the time Taylor Martinez took over as QB when Nebraska began to see more of the Riddell Revolution Speed helmets which is what we still use today:

From Riddell on Riddell Speed Helmet:

Patented Side Impact Protection with a quick release face mask attachment system, custom inflation and an overlier for proper fit, comfort and stability. Cost: $209-274.

nebraska-huskers-riddell-revolution-spee

I personally would love to see Nebraska switch back to using Schutt helmets as opposed to the Riddell helmets. The new Schutt Air XP Pro's are on par safety wise with the Riddell Revolutions. I'm just not sure how long Nebraska's contract with Riddell is?

But if we could go back to that more classic traditional look, while still having a modern, safer, more comfortable helmet for the players...I'm all for it!

• Fire 6

It's all player preference, but I will say that the riddell speed, 360, and flex are comfy AF. They have this padded lining inside them that make them feel like you're not even wearing the helmet. I've never worn a Schutt so I won't comment on those.

All I remember as a kid was that Schutt was uncomfortable and didn't fit well. All I ever wore were Riddells even though the schutts looked cooler. When I was in high school was right when the new light weight helmets came out. I never wore one, but they were crazy light compared to the standard ones!

Well, while we're on the discussion of random offseason topics. Did anyone notice that many of the player's shoulder pads last year made them have a small humpback sticking out in the middle of their name? I couldn't find a great picture but I noticed it every game and it just appeared odd.

460x.jpg

All I remember as a kid was that Schutt was uncomfortable and didn't fit well. All I ever wore were Riddells even though the schutts looked cooler. When I was in high school was right when the new light weight helmets came out. I never wore one, but they were crazy light compared to the standard ones!
Yeah, a couple years ago my hs DB Coach (who was about 28 at the time) asked if he could try on my teammate's brand new Speed helmet before practice to see what it felt like (my coach played college football at Drake).

After he he put it on he told us that if he ever heard us complain about it feeling uncomfortable for any reason other than the air pockets being deflated, he'd make us run until we threw up. Said it was like he wasn't even wearing the helmet, to which I'd agree. :D

Yeah, a couple years ago my hs DB Coach (who was about 28 at the time) asked if he could try on my teammate's brand new Speed helmet before practice to see what it felt like (my coach played college football at Drake).

After he he put it on he told us that if he ever heard us complain about it feeling uncomfortable for any reason other than the air pockets being deflated, he'd make us run until we threw up. Said it was like he wasn't even wearing the helmet, to which I'd agree. :D

I suppose you kiddos take your helmet off in the cold now too. Back in my day you didn't dare do that or the ear pads got so hard it would be like sliding cender blocks across your ears.

And we wore that goofy red rectangular mark on our forehead as a badge of honor from our ill fitting helmet!

Get off my lawn!!!

What is needed are helmets with airbags that inflate about a certain shock level.

Disagree. What we need is the exploding foam like in Demolition Man. Take a hard hit, your whole suit and helmet fills up with foam.

I don't think hard hits will be a problem in college football any longer. Tweaked the rules again to basically classify any player as "defenseless" thereby not allowing them to be hit without a disqualification. The B1G officials update from media days was a little disturbing for those of us who remember when football was a contact sport.