WR Coach Keith Williams Arrested on Suspicion of DUI

ADS

I'm surprised that everyone is quick to say he should lose his job. In the real world this might happen if driving was a requirement of the job, but in not many other circumstances that I'm aware of. Poor judgement - yes. Needs help - yes. Gets fired - seems a pretty dramatic move to me.

When your job involves being a public ambassador, an educator, and a mentor to young men, it's a different scenario and our football program can not in any way endorse this wreckless behavior or send a message that we disapprove, but we're not going to make you suffer any consequences.

Fair enough. I guess there is still some gray in it for me based on not knowing the entire story. I don't doubt Riley will do right by Williams and the team. Do we know how long ago the other 2 DUIs were? Also, what ended up happening with the USC coach that had similar issues this year?

He was fired.

That was somewhat a different circumstance, though. Sark was showing up to team functions, practices, and games wasted. If there's any silver lining, it's at least that KW seems to not be that far down the hole with his problems.

Edit: You were right, unlfan.

We do things the right way (we say) and talk about character, being role models etc. I don't see him surviving this, and frankly if he doesn't it's nobody's fault but his own. This will be very interesting to see what UNL does because this is setting up a hypothetical line for what we allow. In the Williams you are a dumbass.

• Fire 2

That does make me feel a bit better - hoping that we also find out that the citations aren't all alcohol related. Would make it easier for him to find another job someday.

I think it "helps" that the last encounter was 8 years ago. Seems odd that he won't be released until his arraignment.

Truly sucks. For those in the accident, the players, university, Coach Dub etc.....

I'm surprised that everyone is quick to say he should lose his job. In the real world this might happen if driving was a requirement of the job, but in not many other circumstances that I'm aware of. Poor judgement - yes. Needs help - yes. Gets fired - seems a pretty dramatic move to me.

if 2 DUI's weren't enough to keep Nebraska from hiring him, I think he keeps his job with a 3rd.

These 2 comments seriously make me wonder how anyone can possibly put football results over the fact that he is the suppose to be a role model first. Results on the field are secondary when it comes to this stuff. If he gets retained I will lose a lot of respect for the University and Mike Riley

• Fire 5

if 2 DUI's weren't enough to keep Nebraska from hiring him, I think he keeps his job with a 3rd.

These 2 comments seriously make me wonder how anyone can possibly put football results over the fact that he is the suppose to be a role model first. Results on the field are secondary when it comes to this stuff. If he gets retained I will lose a lot of respect for the University and Mike Riley

I certainly don't Coach T - just trying to get my head around the entire situation, and we don't have a full understanding of all the facts. Certainly his role puts him in another level for discipline. I don't have much doubt what will be announced at the press conference Riley is going to have to hold, and I don't think you'll have to sacrifice your respect for the university.

- Yearlong suspension, with mandatory rehab paid for out of his own pocket.
- No contact with the team, outside of his son.
- Mandatory, random testing both during his suspension AND if, by some sliver of luck, he is retained.

Only if these are agreed upon and met, should he be allowed to INTERVIEW to get his job back.

• Fire 1

When your job involves being a public ambassador, an educator, and a mentor to young men, it's a different scenario and our football program can not in any way endorse this wreckless behavior or send a message that we disapprove, but we're not going to make you suffer any consequences.

Fair enough. I guess there is still some gray in it for me based on not knowing the entire story. I don't doubt Riley will do right by Williams and the team. Do we know how long ago the other 2 DUIs were? Also, what ended up happening with the USC coach that had similar issues this year?

He was fired.

That was somewhat a different circumstance, though. Sark was showing up to team functions, practices, and games wasted. If there's any silver lining, it's at least that KW seems to not be that far down the hole with his problems.

Edit: You were right, unlfan.

No. This is worse. I wouldn't care nearly as much if someone was showing up drunk in an untactful or unprofessional manner if they weren't in the position to kill themselves, others, or me as a result of their inebriated state (such as operating a motor vehicle).

• Fire 4

I swear. This program can piss something good down the drain faster than any program I have ever seen. How in the Billy Hell does a 40 something year old coach and leader NOT know enough to not drink and drive! Especially when you have past issues. You aren't 19 anymore!

In terms of that, alcoholism is an illness that people fight with their entire lives. If he isn't capable of making good decisions while drinking, it may lend itself to him having an actual problem with alcohol.

-Marylands assistsnt hoops coach resigned after his 3rd DUI in 5 years.

-Michigan's associate athletic director for football tried resigning but his boss refused to let him go.

-Mississippi State coach was arrested for DUI 2 months ago, looked for follow up reports, can't find anything that says if he was fired, resigned, or still on staff.

This was finally a full year without unnecessary drama in Husker football, just like when companies have a "Days without an accident" tracker, we now set the tracker back to "0" days of drama.

The thing that's worse is that this is just the 3rd time he's been caught.

My buddy ran into him at his bachelor party at the railyard last year and he wasn't impressed with the way KW was acting. Just holier than thou kind of treatment towards others and extremely obnoxious. I didn't see it but it's what he said, and now that I've heard this about last night....I really believe it now when I was leaning towards skeptical before.

I swear. This program can piss something good down the drain faster than any program I have ever seen. How in the Billy Hell does a 40 something year old coach and leader NOT know enough to not drink and drive! Especially when you have past issues. You aren't 19 anymore!

The actions of one man do not define a program. How the "program" and the university respond to William's situation will be more telling.

• Fire 4