Fo Fiddy

ZRod

Kinda wish this topic would be re-titled to show his name. Not saying fans have much of a say but if it's 1%... something about special teams should be in the name.

Anyhow, I'm still hoping against hope this has all been one long trick and when we play Wisconsin/Ohio State we're going to have 6 punt returns for TDs.

what will the sentiment be if read is still the guy next yr?

That'd be a disaster of biblical proportion. Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

• Fire 2

what will the sentiment be if read is still the guy next yr?

That'd be a disaster of biblical proportion. Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

Maybe we make Read a grad assistant because our grad assistant Tavita Thompson is worth about 250k per year. Heck have Tavita be TE/special teams coach and have read just work on field goal kicking and kick-offs. In reality move him into an administrative role and have him just work on field goals or just watch practice and have a laugh with coach Riley.

If I was coaching a team and my brother was a coach and wasn't getting it done I would kick him to the curb! I would expect him to do the same to me. Matter of fact he wouldn't have to , I would quit. It is about getting the job done!!!!!

Even if you were making Fo Fiddy?

lol yep even then. although it would be tougher.

• Fire 1

I didn't know he was previously a ST coach for the cowboys and was fired. This guy needs to be shown the door. Riley is a fool if he let's him keep cashin' checks. It's a goddamn travesty that Person-El has been wasted this year. He could have blown this game wide open with another TD.

On recommendation from Moiraine I think we need to change the title again "Fo Fiddy: Bruce Reed don't let the door hit ya..." All in favor?

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is he finally noticing? Better late than never, I guess.

Riley has called out special teams all year, not just last night. It is clear he sees a problem there. Question is does he make the change this off season that he did with HH? Pure speculation on my part, but Tavita T. is supposed to be a really good coach on the rise and he is on his last year as a GA. I am wondering if four fifty gets to "retire" making room for TT to become a paid asst. coach.

I understand all the 'fire the ST coach' sentiment but (I am a big Riley fan don't misunderstand) these special teams were not very good last year and are getting worse this year. THE PRIMARY REASON IS THE LINE NOT BLOCKING!

- This makes it almost impossible to plan for and set up and execute any kind of punt action using the rugby style kick techniques effectively nor does it allow for above average punt coverage. It also make life miserable for a punter whose desire is to kick strong, high, well aimed kicks to make returns tough, change field position, and etc. If the punter is spending his time and energy terrified of the onslaught of defenders about to block his kick and run him over on the way to the endzone, it does not bode well for replaceing Sam Foltz with another nationally recognized punter.

- And, because we are so evenly matched with our opponents each week, our Coaches cannot reasonably expect and plan for significant leads and control of the game at the line of scrimmage. This means that the Coaches are going to tend to be gun shy of taking extra risks to be more aggressive on offense, defense or special teams. We have had to go on 4 downs in a few games just to try and get the go ahead TD or to keep the opponent from getting the ball back with time enough to threaten another score vs. the Defense.

- Our kick off coverage has been decent although it remains a little scary when we are kicking off late in the games after just score the go ahead TD or FG and its kick off time. We want Drew Brown to kick the ball out of the stadium just to be sure they don't get a big return and while he has done well, I think sometimes they are telling him to take a little off his boot to try to tempt the opponent return team to bring it out and tackle them inside the 25. This is too risky as our coverage can and has broken down and big returns are had vs us or could have.

- We do the nonsense of showing a trick play on the PAT line up only to simply do the 'fire drill' and line up in the usual formation and kick the point after as usual. I know Riley feels it forces the opponents to spend / 'waste' time in practice preparing for the fake kick and go for two s but still by now the opponents have all worked on this stuff ad infinitum anyway. Or, let's actually use the 'fake' play and go for two maybe once in a while (even a couple in a row) just to put the fear of God in them so to speak. But, no, we have basically done nothing in our 'special teams' that one can say is special really. Mediocre to totally absent punt return game. Mediocre to poor punt protection and punting in general. Mediocre to below average kick off coverage and kick off returns. Basically no big plays or game changer type things that can keep us in a big game against an opponent we won't be able to manhandle physically.

- final point is that I don't care how poor the job by Read has been, ultimately you have to blame Riley as he is the boss and after 10 games this year and 13 last year plus a couple spring games and a whole bunch of practices, we remain awful (give them a D+ ONLY because of how great Drew B is doing or else it is an F). Riley should fix this now and we don't need to wait until February 2017 for some new assistant to come in. This is not rocket science and these coaches have been around football for decades each!