What Is Defensive Success vs Oregon

Red Five

Win first. That shows the most important defensive stat. We get them from scoring more points than we did.

As said above, hold Royce to less than 150 yards on the ground. Of course looking at there previous two games, a lot of dudes got touches.......and yards. Limit explosive plays. Win the TO battle. Maybe the most crucial defensive stat? Acknowledge we need the special teams to be special and the half million dollar man to realize that it makes up 1/3rd of the game plan..In a game that can be a shootout, field position means everything.

I'd plan to hit the RB every play. Ball or not. Much like UCLA did in 2013. Regradless of who gets the ball on their zone reads RB goes to the ground. Get great penetration up field and break up the timing of that O. I'd like to see us also play closer to the LOS with our DB's. Don't give their speedsters 8 yards to get going. As Marvin Sanders used to teach and preach, on the ground or out of bounds, that can't catch passes. I'd also be slower to get off the pile, get rest when you can, give D time to get lined up and slow me down.

Yards aren't really that big here. As many have stated, limiting 20+ yard plays seems to be what causes Oregon problems. Make this new QB lead long drives with 90k screaming in his ears and we should have a good day.

In order to accomplish that, we have to tackle well in space. I think Kieron Williams will be huge in this one. He may come out with 15 or so tackles.