There is only one race, the human one... and until that FACT is embraced, there will always be divide. The owners like it that way, in numbers comes power... united we stand, divided we fall... guess those patriotic ramblings were just made up because they sounded neat.

lock this thread... Husker football is the topic, this protest bullsh*t doesn't belong on a football thread.

• Fire 1

I've said to keep it to football all along.

MRI, Neal, and Barry all spoke today. They all talked to the team before kneeling, and emphasized that their priorities were winning. They agreed they wouldn't do it if the team felt it would get in the way of what the team was trying to do (win), and everyone including the staff told them to go for it. They are very appreciative of the support.

Fans (lol - probably some of you here) have been tweeting at these players. MRI was told he should be lynched this week before the game. Is that okay?

• Fire 2

Seriously?!?! Are people this dense?

I guess I am.

Write me out a list of when and where I received all of these privileges.

Do you get pulled over a lot less often because you're not Black? Is it easier for you to get a job because your name isn't Dwayne or Tyrone? Both of these things have been studied and the answer is yes for both. I could probably list 50 more things. People who think it doesn't exist are willfully obtuse.

White privilege shouldn't be blamed because of their names. They have their parents to blame for that.

Should I blame Sears because my mom dressed me funny?

I hope to God this is some kind of joke. You're really saying that names typically given to Blacks are "funny"? Why is that? Because they're not normal? They should try to conform and be more like White people, right? Only name their kids Tim and John so they can meet White standards for names and have a better chance at getting a job.

This is so backwards.

To all those who are so outraged over these players kneeling:

We're you outraged when the flag hit the ground as the parachutist landed? The flag is never supposed to touch the ground. Do you yell at those who don't take off their hats during the anthem? What about those chatting? Those things are by far more disrespectful.

When these players kneel, they still face the flag and pay attention. Before you decry their protest, learn about what it is about and try to understand. These guys mostly come from an America much different than the one you and I have experience.

Those who are outraged, have as much right to be heard as those who sparked the outrage.

Of course they do. They talk about the players disrespecting the flag. I'm curious if they have the same levels of outrage over other forms of disrespect.

Does it really matter? Each individual is outraged by different things. What outrages you may or may not cause high levels of outrage from your neighbor.

In this particular discussion we are talking about disrespecting our country and the national anthem. That's the subject, how about we stick with it and not try to deflect to other things?

If it offends you, say so. But don't claim outrage on behalf of someone you don't speak for.

This is spot on. It's interesting hearing "there are people risking their lives so you have the right to knee", but are so offended that there are people exercising that right. What's the point of all the military men and women fighting for our freedoms if we don't use them.

• Fire 1

What bothers me about this is that these guys are supporting a belief thats a lie.

Kapernick claims the usa oppresses blacks here int he modern ear, never seen it my self but ok. They claim the police shootings are the primary evidence of this, yes there have been some bad ones that are head scratchers but we have seen these incidents with whites too, but the biggest ones that have been protested all the officers involved were cleared. And we ended up finding out the guys that got shot were gang memebers, armed, assaulted or resisted the officer ect.

This whole protest isn't benifiting or changing anything but is promoting a lie. And worse the people that are psuhing this don't seem to catch on that the majority of americans either don't care or are angered by it.

Would you want to be treated the same as the average black person in this country?

...isn't this the entire point of the movement. To bring discussion to the majority of Americans - to shine the light on dark places within our justice system than many are willing to overlook. Maybe there's not injustice everytime ..but shouldn't one injustice be enough?

MRI was first sincere, second well spoken, third clear in his thoughts, four used logic, and finally doing it in a Nonviolent and noncombative manner.

The fact that we are talking about how his protest makes US feel instead of discussing much of the issue at hand is much of the problem of culture in america. A lean towards egocentric and turn from empathy.

Not aimed at anyone's comments in particular- just food for thought.

• Fire 3

Get MRI's speech in here and shut the f#*k up, PLEASE. The dude was incredibly well spoken, near tears while we spoke about how Husker FANS were saying he should be lynched before the Illinois game. But there isn't a problem?

I'm as conservative as it gets (Trump 2016 baby). The way African Americans are treated in this country right now is ridiculous, particularly lately by law enforcement whose first reaction to a black suspect is to reach for a gun. That is a fact.

Might be the first and last time I +1 a post that includes "Trump 2016 baby."

:D

• Fire 5

This is spot on. It's interesting hearing "there are people risking their lives so you have the right to knee", but are so offended that there are people exercising that right. What's the point of all the military men and women fighting for our freedoms if we don't use them.

Completely agree.

Our military members swear an oath to defend the Constitution. That's what they quite literally are tasked to do.

Call it disrespectful or not, it's hilarious for a regular citizen to claim outrage for a veteran over this. This selective patriotism narrative is both twisted and authoritarian.

• Fire 1

If I was coach, I would tell them that they can kneel if they want, but they need to submit a 500 word essay on what their gripe is, who specifically their gripe is with (e.g. the Chicago PD), and 1 idea on how to resolve the issue. I really don't get what all the kneeling is doing, other than getting a bunch of people taking about who kneeled and who didn't.

If I was coach, I would tell them that they can kneel if they want, but they need to submit a 500 word essay on what their gripe is, who specifically their gripe is with (e.g. the Chicago PD), and 1 idea on how to resolve the issue. I really don't get what all the kneeling is doing, other than getting a bunch of people taking about who kneeled and who didn't.

There is a 7 page thread in this forum, caused by the kneeling, where several members are trying to show solidarity and convince others of the ongoing struggles and inequality faced by minorities in our country. That's what the kneeling is doing.

• Fire 4

Read the above or listen to his statement to the press - he has done all of those things, and did speak to coach and his team prior. So this would have met your requirements. It wasn't done without thought or consideration to the ramifications.