Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had no idea who Riley was when I hired and I first I was shocked because he wasn't the splash hire I thought we would get. BUT I did my research and I couldn't help but like him as a person. I still wasn't sure about the coaching aspect but I was tentatively warm to him. Last year I liked and respected him even more as a person as a coach. I didn't see last year as a failure, I saw it as a benchmark year indicative of the current level of our program. And this year I like him even more.

Results after 132 votes(!)

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

IMO these numbers will be similar even if we go 7-0. Maybe we move up to 70% positive. I would guess that for most of the "skeptical but patient" a win over Wisc, OSU, or Iowa would be the difference.

Probably. But, even if we ran the table this year, there will be some who still sit back with their arms crossed huffing about how he got lucky, the schedule was easy, those teams weren't as good as they normally are....etc.

I doubt anyone would be like that if we went undefeated....not doubt, I'm positive.

Results after 132 votes(!)

After UCLA Bowl Win:

16% Negative

53% Skeptical

31% Positive

After 5-0 Now:

2% Negative

32% Skeptical

66% Positive

IMO these numbers will be similar even if we go 7-0. Maybe we move up to 70% positive. I would guess that for most of the "skeptical but patient" a win over Wisc, OSU, or Iowa would be the difference.

Probably. But, even if we ran the table this year, there will be some who still sit back with their arms crossed huffing about how he got lucky, the schedule was easy, those teams weren't as good as they normally are....etc.

tumblr_inline_niarswzcyo1smze4t.png

+1 for Walter. Hahaha!

Where is 'I was positive but now I'm skeptical'? There's only one positive choice and there were positive people aplenty when he was hired.

If you read the OP, I didn't have every possible option because I didn't think the other options were very likely. I was willing to add options earlier, but not after most of the board has already voted.

Also, take note that your opinion when Riley was hired is not what I was asking. It was after last season.

I think Banker's defense is still suspect. I hope they can recruit good defensive players as they seem to have no problems getting offensive players.

I think fan attitudes will be on a roller coaster as we enter the tougher part of the schedule.

I do think Riley gets it about Nebraska and that's something we haven't had since Solich.

I like the fact that Riley and Langsdorf seem to be on the same page this year. Riley said we are gonna run and we have.

• Fire 1

Where is 'I was positive but now I'm skeptical'? There's only one positive choice and there were positive people aplenty when he was hired.

If you read the OP, I didn't have every possible option because I didn't think the other options were very likely. I was willing to add options earlier, but not after most of the board has already voted.

Also, take note that your opinion when Riley was hired is not what I was asking. It was after last season.

Fair enough. Now back to dissecting and prognosticating.

I was negative about the staff when they were hired because MR had been a mediocre coach his entire career, and he made no effort to hire top assistants. I wanted a coaching staff that would out perform Bo, bring the occasional conference championship, and always be ranked in the top 20. I was beyond negative after last season. I thought no one outside of Billy C could give the Huskers another losing season. I am still negative because we have played no one this year. Given Oregon's weakness this year, anything below 5-0 would be a poor performance. I am happy with the 4th quarter performance, but again, we have played no one. It will take until after next year to prove anything, outside of winning the BIG this year. Next year I suspect the offense will perform worse when there is no threat of the QB taking off.

I feel this poll is a little premature and would change considerably after each win or loss as they come the rest of the season. Obviously, if we start losing and finish with a whole bunch of losses, we could find that nearly all are 'done' being patient, etc. On the other hand, everyone (save for the few die hard Riley haters) will be tickled pink by an undefeated or 11-1 record or something.

I am very pleased with Mike Riley thus far and I think it is safe to say he is the most knowledgeable and intelligent head coach since Osborne. He can speak very clearly and football wise on the games, the plans, schemes, etc etc. Much better than Solich and Pelini. I don't recall Callahan actually discussing things nearly as much although I am confident he's a very bright X and Os guy. He just is not a college level coach. He doesn't understand the college difference and never understood the Nebraska way.

Riley does understand the Nebraska program and its needs and the fans desires and interest. But it is simply too early to start this kind of discussion. I want to see the next 5 games and then we have a much better idea how the second season has gone for us. We need to finish out the year well and recruit extremely well and have lots of momentum going forward.

I was negative about the staff when they were hired because MR had been a mediocre coach his entire career, and he made no effort to hire top assistants. I wanted a coaching staff that would out perform Bo, bring the occasional conference championship, and always be ranked in the top 20. I was beyond negative after last season. I thought no one outside of Billy C could give the Huskers another losing season. I am still negative because we have played no one this year. Given Oregon's weakness this year, anything below 5-0 would be a poor performance. I am happy with the 4th quarter performance, but again, we have played no one. It will take until after next year to prove anything, outside of winning the BIG this year. Next year I suspect the offense will perform worse when there is no threat of the QB taking off.

So if Nebraska wins out and then loses to OSU in the Big Ten game, your mind won't change in the least?

Not worried about the QB situation next year. Tommy Armstrong is a very talented player but if this staff would have got him in as a freshman he would be player running back or linebacker.

This staff wants a pro style QB for their offense and we will be alot closer to that next year than we are now. I love Tommy and I love the fact he can scramble and make plays with his legs, but I don't think not having a mobile quarterback is going to cripple this offense

I have been very troubled all year about not playing a future QB some this year. We start from scratch next fall. Scary to say the least.

Not quite. If Tanner Lee wins the starting QB job, Nebraska will at least have a guy with a couple years of experience under his belt.