Injury updates

mwj98

I'd definirely put money on Nebraska, if I did that sort of thing. Hell, if it was a personal bet, I'd give a touchdown, not just three points.

I've rarely been certain enough to make bets, and only make them with friends.

The two bets I've made since 2010:

I gave 10 points to the Broncos while betting on the Seahawks, who were a 2.5-3 point dog.

When Deverell Biggs left the team, I bet a friend that Nebraska would make the NCAA tourney. They were 11-9 at the time, I believe.

So, I could be wrong this time, but I'm feeling the same confidence I felt with those two. If I'm wrong, two out of three ain't bad lol.

• Fire 1

Last time I looked Vegas had us as a 3 point dog. Translated that means they think the game will be close. I always look at Vegas spreads to gauge probable outcomes in the games. After all it is all about the money for them.

If Ryker can have a comparable performance that he had against Maryland before the broken wrist during that game. (He has had time to heal I hope and recover to a large degree) , then we will have a decent chance IMO.

Weren't we a 3 point dog to Iowa?

I am 99% sure everyone thought the Nebraska vs Iowa game would be really close and we see how that turned out.

Meaning, just because Vegas thinks the Neb-Tenn game will be close, doesn't mean it will be.

Vegas also didn't know that TA had a torn hamstring and never should've even been in that game. I don't think any of us knew he was injured to this extent.

Last time I looked Vegas had us as a 3 point dog. Translated that means they think the game will be close. I always look at Vegas spreads to gauge probable outcomes in the games. After all it is all about the money for them.

If Ryker can have a comparable performance that he had against Maryland before the broken wrist during that game. (He has had time to heal I hope and recover to a large degree) , then we will have a decent chance IMO.

Weren't we a 3 point dog to Iowa?

I am 99% sure everyone thought the Nebraska vs Iowa game would be really close and we see how that turned out.

Meaning, just because Vegas thinks the Neb-Tenn game will be close, doesn't mean it will be.

Vegas also didn't know that TA had a torn hamstring and never should've even been in that game. I don't think any of us knew he was injured to this extent.
he did not have a torn hamstring entering the game, it was just pulled. You do not move around like he was with 2 minutes left in the game with a torn hamstring. I know from experience. He may have finished it off at the end but Fyfe (or whoever said it) was exaggerating when they said it was torn coming into the game.

Edit: I'm not discounting that he was probably in pain and shouldn't have played, just saying it wasn't as bad as some people said it was coming into IC.

• Fire 1

From practice notes on the injuries.

>> Antonio Reed appears to be the guy who will start at safety in the absence of safety Nate Gerry. Aaron Williams would play beside Reed, with cornerback Joshua Kalu sliding in to the nickel spot and freshman Lamar Jackson playing more cornerback. Riley said he wished Jackson and Reed had played more during the season. Reed said he'd have 15-20 family and friends at the game.

The bolded is what is concerning to me. As a coach with so much experience, why had he wished guys had played more? Isn't it his job to get the kids ready. Get them snaps. If not him, then the DC or position coach. Again, guys who work for him......These comments make me less than confident Riley is the guy to get us to that next level. Like he sees something, too late, and realizes next year that needs to change. Things like getting guys some snaps and game reps seems like coaching 101. I realize that getting them reps means some starter doesn't, but they could have come in against OSU, Iowa, Wyoming, Maryland etc....Sadly, in his defense, the only games not in question were our blow out losses......So I do see where it would be more difficult. I am also probably reading too much into a comment.....

>> Antonio Reed appears to be the guy who will start at safety in the absence of safety Nate Gerry. Aaron Williams would play beside Reed, with cornerback Joshua Kalu sliding in to the nickel spot and freshman Lamar Jackson playing more cornerback. Riley said he wished Jackson and Reed had played more during the season. Reed said he'd have 15-20 family and friends at the game.

The bolded is what is concerning to me. As a coach with so much experience, why had he wished guys had played more? Isn't it his job to get the kids ready. Get them snaps. If not him, then the DC or position coach. Again, guys who work for him......These comments make me less than confident Riley is the guy to get us to that next level. Like he sees something, too late, and realizes next year that needs to change. Things like getting guys some snaps and game reps seems like coaching 101. I realize that getting them reps means some starter doesn't, but they could have come in against OSU, Iowa, Wyoming, Maryland etc....Sadly, in his defense, the only games not in question were our blow out losses......So I do see where it would be more difficult. I am also probably reading too much into a comment.....

I hear what you're saying.

But I get the impression that Riley is just pretty good at saying whatever he thinks people want to hear.

• Fire 3

But I get the impression that Riley is just pretty good at saying whatever he thinks people want to hear.

If you read the article on 247, Riley explains why they didn't play as much. Reed had an injury earlier in the year that hampered him some and he was out of shape. Jackson played early on but struggled later in the year. Both did play special teams most of the year.

I kind of look at it like Riley thinks he should have just went ahead and played both more even though they were somewhat behind in the coach's eyes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You said what I was thinking. Riley is no moron, Husker fans (and media) are pretty easy to read.

Who should've they played over is what he is saying. Gerry, Williams, Kalu and Jones had exceptional seasons.

Come on man, don't read into coach speak.