Trump's America

zoogs

Came across this article today. I feel like this is the seedy underbelly of the manufacturing renaissance Trump is promising. Manufacturing down south is much different than in the rust belt because they're largely un-unionized. As such, basic worker safety goes by the wayside. It's eye-opening how disposable all the workers in these stories were treated.

Hopefully, the unions keep their strength up north. But Trump's initial pick for SecLab Puzder was vehemently anti-union. Given that his administration is basically run by Goldman Sachs bigwigs and corporate overlords, I can' imagine they're going to advocate for unions but rather seek to stifle them.

If so, I shudder for those heading off to work in factories in the US.

Came across this article today. I feel like this is the seedy underbelly of the manufacturing renaissance Trump is promising. Manufacturing down south is much different than in the rust belt because they're largely un-unionized. As such, basic worker safety goes by the wayside. It's eye-opening how disposable all the workers in these stories were treated.

Hopefully, the unions keep their strength up north. But Trump's initial pick for SecLab Puzder was vehemently anti-union. Given that his administration is basically run by Goldman Sachs bigwigs and corporate overlords, I can' imagine they're going to advocate for unions but rather seek to stifle them.

And these stories align with the Gorsuch pick for SCOTUS and his rulings, like the 'freezing trucker'.

https://twitter.com/lpolgreen/status/845274092173447168

Ok...I'm sorry I gotta say BS to something you're implying here.

You are claiming that just because a job isn't unionized, then workers aren't safe.

As an owner and manager of a non unionized factory, I take great offense to that.

Most managers of non union shops care deeply for their employees and work hard to make sure they are safe.

You are claiming that just because a job isn't unionized, then workers aren't safe.

As an owner and manager of a non unionized factory, I take great offense to that.

Most managers of non union shops care deeply for their employees and work hard to make sure they are safe.

As a person with experience with a lot of different employers, not just one business, I have to call BS on this.

YOU may run your shop like that, and kudos to you for being "that guy." That's the kind of person we need running shops in Nebraska.

However, that is NOT the way everyone runs their shops. There are tyrants galore out there, and in the absence of a union, they can and frequently do take advantage of their employees, and are more than happy to churn through them while weeding out anyone who so much as says "boo" to them.

I've seen it 100 times. Easy.

• Fire 2

Have to agree with knapp here. There's a reason they exist and a lot of $ has been spent to demonize them.

Unions also have become far too bloated and out weigh the good things they do with lazyness and stagnation. In a factory environment they do a great job creating a safe work place. Often times safety is an after thought if it doesn't come from the top down.

However, in the experience I've had so far the fact that it's extremely hard to fire a union member, and a general lack of work ethic by many really hurts efficiency. That said, I work with some great guys in unions too. There are just as many that go the extea mile, but it's 50/50 on abuse of the system.

As a person with experience with a lot of different employers, not just one business, I have to call BS on this.

YOU may run your shop like that, and kudos to you for being "that guy." That's the kind of person we need running shops in Nebraska.

However, that is NOT the way everyone runs their shops. There are tyrants galore out there, and in the absence of a union, they can and frequently do take advantage of their employees, and are more than happy to churn through them while weeding out anyone who so much as says "boo" to them.

I've seen it 100 times. Easy.

And nobody ever gets injured or have a dangerous situation in a union shop??? BS.

I have been in one hell of a lot of non-union shops and people aren't running around in fear of the grave danger they are in. These shops still are subject to OSHA inspections or fines if someone gets hurt or killed. If their shop has lots of injuries, their workman's comp mod goes way up also which costs them a ton of money.

Are there tyrants out there??? Sure, but to make a blanket statement that because manufacturing comes back to the US as non-union then their basic employee safety goes out the window....is total BS.