Where is the Broken Chair???

Mavric

So...a broken chair is dumber than an axe, bronze pig named Floyd, Brass Spittoon, Oak Bucket, Brown jug and a statue of Paul Bunyan.

Hmmmmm......

DON'T FORGET THIS SHOP CLASS FAILURE

LandGrantTrophy-2.0.jpg

What is this poop!

YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW ALL ABOUT THE PRESTIGIOUS LAND GRANT TROPHY?

When Penn State joined the Big Ten Conference in 1993, the Nittany Lions and Spartans were designated as permanent rivals, and met each other for the trophy in the last week of conference play. The trophy, designed by former Michigan State coach George Perles, features pictures of Penn State's Old Main and Michigan State's Beaumont Tower, as well as figurines of The Spartan and Nittany Lion Shrine statues. The trophy is infamous for its unwieldiness and hodgepodge appearance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_State%E2%80%93Penn_State_football_rivalry

If it was just Nebraska trying to get rid of it, sure I'd be on board with calling out our administration and trying to keep it. The fact that Minnesota also doesn't want it either tells me that it's time to just let it go. Sure it's fun, but at the end of the day all I care about out is Nebraska getting a win vs Minnesota, not the trophy. If they get rid of it then so be it. Just my 2 cents.

If it was just Nebraska trying to get rid of it, sure I'd be on board with calling out our administration and trying to keep it. The fact that Minnesota also doesn't want it either tells me that it's time to just let it go. Sure it's fun, but at the end of the day all I care about out is Nebraska getting a win vs Minnesota, not the trophy. If they get rid of it then so be it. Just my 2 cents.

It gains widespread fan appreciation. And I'm not talking about just us and Minnesota, I am talking about nationwide. Believe it or not, people from other fanbases are wanting this back too. It baffles me that they are willing to keep the Heroes Trophy and the Freedom Trophy, but not the thing that was created by fans, for fans.

So...a broken chair is dumber than an axe, bronze pig named Floyd, Brass Spittoon, Oak Bucket, Brown jug and a statue of Paul Bunyan.

Hmmmmm......

DON'T FORGET THIS SHOP CLASS FAILURE

LandGrantTrophy-2.0.jpg

What is this poop!

When Penn State joined the B1G in 1993, Delany or some other scheduling wizard decided the Nittany Lions needed a "end of the regular season rivalry game."

So one was manufactured with Michigan State.

Michigan State followed by Penn State are the nation's oldest land-grant universities, therefore you get the "Land Grant Trophy."

In 1955 on the 100th year anniversary of the founding of the land grant system, Michigan State and Penn State were commemorated on a U.S. postage stamp honoring the "First of the Land-Grant Colleges". These two universities were the first ever universities to be placed on a U.S. postage stamp, which frankly would be a better looking trophy.

oopzGYR.jpg

It gains widespread fan appreciation. And I'm not talking about just us and Minnesota, I am talking about nationwide. Believe it or not, people from other fanbases are wanting this back too. It baffles me that they are willing to keep the Heroes Trophy and the Freedom Trophy, but not the thing that was created by fans, for fans.

I may be totally out of the loop, but I don't get it. What am I missing that you honestly think this piece of crap that has only been in existence for 2 years is worth so much attention and discussion? If it was really significant to the teams or the universities it wouldn't be MIA. I can understand trophies for significant reasons - to honor people and rivalries (I'd love to see something between us and MSU for instance for Foltz), this is just scraps of wood that nobody really cares about but some posters here.

Nothing is officially announced and the source is only a Minnesota official, but the news does sound about right for how the two universities are sweeping this under the rug.

It's not NU mentioning social media, but for the NU athletic department who has upped their social media game, they can't alienate social media to delegitimize the ONLY trophy fans talk about in a positive light. Don't cut off the hand that also feeds you.

I read somewhere that Shawn Eichorst ordered the trophy be destroyed because Mrs. Riley was allergic to it.

gdmqHwpunFLyqgW-800x450-noPad.jpg