Where is the Broken Chair???

Mavric

a trophy celebrating the anger management issues of 1 of our former coaches might not have been the best idea anyway.

By using the word "Idea" you make it sound like this was well thought out and planned or something. Like we all got together in a conference room and brainstormed for hours. It wasn't, like the video earlier in the thread by BTN it was a joke that came to life. A joke, yes, born from the internet that snowballed into something real and tangible.

I can't speak for everyone on this...but I feel like it was OUR bad idea. Yes, I'm not faux or Goldie Gopher, but a trophy born "of just a social media thing" twitter/internet feels like something I'm a part of. Something that ever so vaguely connects the likes of me, a lowly messageboard dweller and twitter poster to the sport and team I love not to mention an entire other fanbase I'm not a part of (Minnesota).

I don't know about everyone else but I follow Nebraska and the rest of college football because it's FUN. This trophy couldn't be more fun, official or not. I know it's not an official trophy put together by some marketing team in a giant office building in downtown Chicago. Plastered with a very politically safe softball tertiary nod to everyone's patriotism complete with an official sponsor, but I love this bad idea and would love to see it live on if even in an unofficial capacity between non-university designated people on both sites of the trophy.

I would also like the fun loving, self deprecating humorous nature the trophy represents live on too, but that probably won't happen either. But what do I know, I'm just a small part of this "social media thing...".

• Fire 5

a trophy celebrating the anger management issues of 1 of our former coaches might not have been the best idea anyway.

By using the word "Idea" you make it sound like this was well thought out and planned or something. Like we all got together in a conference room and brainstormed for hours. It wasn't, like the video earlier in the thread by BTN it was a joke that came to life. A joke, yes, born from the internet that snowballed into something real and tangible.

I can't speak for everyone on this...but I feel like it was OUR bad idea. Yes, I'm not faux or Goldie Gopher, but a trophy born "of just a social media thing" twitter/internet feels like something I'm a part of. Something that ever so vaguely connects the likes of me, a lowly messageboard dweller and twitter poster to the sport and team I love not to mention an entire other fanbase I'm not a part of (Minnesota).

I don't know about everyone else but I follow Nebraska and the rest of college football because it's FUN. This trophy couldn't be more fun, official or not. I know it's not an official trophy put together by some marketing team in a giant office building in downtown Chicago. Plastered with a very politically safe softball tertiary nod to everyone's patriotism complete with an official sponsor, but I love this bad idea and would love to see it live on if even in an unofficial capacity between non-university designated people on both sites of the trophy.

I would also like the fun loving, self deprecating humorous nature the trophy represents live on too, but that probably won't happen either. But what do I know, I'm just a small part of this "social media thing...".

0mKXcg1.gif

• Fire 1

Good point. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I had a minor aversion to this trophy but this is it. I like the idea of a trophy created in this way but I think we could do better.

Nothing is officially announced and the source is only a Minnesota official, but the news does sound about right for how the two universities are sweeping this under the rug.

It's not NU mentioning social media, but for the NU athletic department who has upped their social media game, they can't alienate social media to delegitimize the ONLY trophy fans talk about in a positive light. Don't cut off the hand that also feeds you.

• Fire 1

Nothing is officially announced and the source is only a Minnesota official, but the news does sound about right for how the two universities are sweeping this under the rug.

It's not NU mentioning social media, but for the NU athletic department who has upped their social media game, they can't alienate social media to delegitimize the ONLY trophy fans talk about in a positive light. Don't cut off the hand that also feeds you.

I think continued pressure on them may eventually pay off. Persistence is key.

• Fire 1