538 says 2016 'Bama is better than '95 Nebraska

Cdog923

Their offense isn't on the same planet as ours was in 95'.

That is the point I was going to make. Their QB while athletic is not that good (yet) and they don't have the stud RB like past years.Different discussion but IMO they have been very fortunate during their run. They are talented and well coached for sure but winning titles is hard and you need some breaks along the way. They have gotten their fair share.

1. They have not had to face a tough SEC E team in the CCG. A loss in the SEC CCG would have dq'd them during the BCS days.
  2. UT QB McCoy goes out of game on first series with injury.
  3. Not having to play in SEC CCG then getting a rematch with offensively inept LSU.
  4. Getting a way over-rated ND team that escaped their season undefeated.
  5. Ark beating Ol Miss on a fluke play last year sending Bama to CCG.
  6. Not having to face NFL-loaded OSU in playoffs last year and getting Michigan St instead who had some fluke wins.

If Washington's O-line can hold up I think they can give Bama a game. The only team Bama has played with a pulse on offense is Ol Miss.

They can thank OSU's love of tattoos for #4.

There is a good chance Ohio State will beat them and that would kind of kill this whole notion. They will need to beat Buckees by bout 31 points to be even be 'in the conversation' in my view.

The '95 Huskers remain in a category of their own. It would be a great game to watch the '95 team take on Bama or Ohio State. I would pick NU by 23 over both.

My only argument for Bama would be the playoff, having to play one extra high level opponent can bolster your resume when you are trying to say you are the greatest. IF they win it all they have a right to the argument...in the same way Miami and USC have a right to the argument. They will be considered close but never better than the 95 Huskers.

This is a debate that is going to happen at sometime. Records were made to be broken. If Bama rolls through these playoff as they have the last few weeks, the debate will be lefit. Just cuz it's us and we dont wanna hear it, doesnt mean it isnt meaningful. I still think 95 Nebraska would be the best. Simply because start to finish, it was the most complete. The competition is unmatched. Of course Bama has the opportunity to have two dominant wins over top 5 teams still. But they were also on the ropes and very easily coulda lost to a 5-7 Ole miss team, while Nebraska's closest game was a 35-21 win over Wash st. it was the only time in the regular season Nebraska trailed (7-0), and was on a fluke 80 yard TD run. and Nebraska carried 28-7 and 35-14 leads into the late stages, and the game was never as close as the score would indicate. Nebraska had 4 wins over top ten teams, WHO ALSO ALL FINISHED in the top ten (important, cuz Ole miss was rated pretty high when Bama almost lost to them. Judge a team on the body of work) by an average of 49-18.

While this may be the most legit debate, it's still gotta go to 95 Nebraska. The overall body of work and so on. I know. I know. The love for SEC and Bama and media's uncanny ability to forget all history and prop up the moment for their own ego and ratings boost will all claim Bama is the best ever.

I posted a status. i think it's funny going into these playoffs. Bama already being written off as untouchable, national champs and best ever. Unanimous favorites to win it all and not really be tested. it's what most i listen to are saying. While '95 Nebraska, with a much more impressive body of work going in, was underdogs because of grass. Oh how times of changed.

That stat/argument from 538 is a bit flawed in terms of making the claim that team X in a given year is the greatest ever as I believe the data is a running rating spanning years. So while the Bama rating may have exceeded Nebraska from 95- that's probably more attributed to the fact that Bama has consistently been in top 3-5 for the past 8 years straight.

The fact that 01 Miami is rated so low backs this up even further as that team was dominant but they did not have a run this long (similar to USC in mid 00s) that would have boosted a team up that significantly overtime.

• Fire 1

Lol what a joke. Congrats Bama you got through a weak SEC this year. Only two times they played against competent QB's were against Ole Miss and Arkansas and their defense gave up 43 and 30 points respectfully. I expect them to beat Washington, but I think Clemson or Ohio St will give them a run for their money

Tide has the best players that money can buy. So sure......

How Nick Saban and Alabama have not been investigated and put on probation by now is a bigger mystery than why people still like the Kardashians.

They'll go under investigation about 5 years after Nick leaves, and none of the assistants are there so they can punish the coaches and players that had nothing to do with it...

• Fire 1

Best team ever? If they run the playoffs and dominate. There's probably no much argument. The defense has been ridiculous. Maybe the best defense ever

Really? They gave up 43 and 30 points already this season. And they're going to play better offenses.

As a comparison, the most points the 1995 Huskers gave up were 28 and 25.

• Fire 1