Bob Diaco - New Defensive Coordinator

Diaco's stats as a DC (Scoring D and Total D):

2009 Cincy 44/67

2010 ND 23/50

2011 ND 24/30

2012 ND 2/7

2013 ND 27/31

So there ya go. Considering ND's recruiting rankings, I'm not sure these are great.

The sacks and tackles for loss were generally in the bottom half of all teams so don't expect a lot of disruption.

apparently not with the Cincy team I thought he had a top 10 TFL squad

True that, I don't know why ND was so different. Here are the stats on Sacks/TFL

2009 Cincy 10/3

2010 ND 54/77

2011 ND 59/77

2012 ND 22/78

2013 ND 96/107

I know why ND was so different- because every year and every school and every recruiting class and every season are different. Trying to decide anything from this kind of analysis is just not possible.

People are cherry picking their favorite stat to make their favorite argument. If we torture the numbers long enough they will tell us anything we want.

Here is what I base my approval of this hire on:

1. His resume is as good as anyone that was out there

2. His resume is really damn good.

3. Other P5 schools wanted him

4. In firing Banker- whether Riley was forced, or agreed, or it was his decision- it shows we want to win again.

5. In paying this much for an assistant we are showing we want to win again.

Points 4 & 5 have less to do with him personally, and just more of an urgency I am excited to see.

Great hire but we have to wait and see what happens long term......as with every hire.

• Fire 2

Diaco's stats as a DC (Scoring D and Total D):

2009 Cincy 44/67

2010 ND 23/50

2011 ND 24/30

2012 ND 2/7

2013 ND 27/31

So there ya go. Considering ND's recruiting rankings, I'm not sure these are great.

The sacks and tackles for loss were generally in the bottom half of all teams so don't expect a lot of disruption.

apparently not with the Cincy team I thought he had a top 10 TFL squad

True that, I don't know why ND was so different. Here are the stats on Sacks/TFL

2009 Cincy 10/3

2010 ND 54/77

2011 ND 59/77

2012 ND 22/78

2013 ND 96/107

In 2008 & 2009, ND had heavy offensive recruiting classes. 2012 & 2013 are probably players he recruited.

As with any hire, the jury is always out until results are seen. Scheme, talent, culture etc are all the intangible factors. His resume looks good. Looks like he recruited well (I am assuming based on being DC), seems well respected. ND didn't appear to want him fired, Uconn he was the HC so different. We didn't hire based upon his HC credentials. Other P5 expressed interest. Pretty nice. As mentioned above we paid. A lot. His credentials and resume as a DC shows it was a good hire. Good fit, we will see. I like his brash personality, off the wall comments, NU needs that IMO.

More importantly, whomever made the decision, sent a very loud and not veiled message. Win (improve) or you are gone. I imagine without a drastic improvement in offensive production this year, Cav and Langs won't be here in 2018. Riley, IMO, was hired as the anti-Bo. I tight anti in personality not in firing dudes. Kudos to him. Maybe SE or others pressured him, but Riley did it. Cally didnt, Bo didn't.....

Bobby D, Bob, Diaco, Coach Detc (we need a name) will show a lot in getting a recruit or two in the short term. Im anxious to see how we do if we start in the 3-4.... Regardless, he gets a year or two to get the pieces to run it.

As with any hire, the jury is always out until results are seen. Scheme, talent, culture etc are all the intangible factors. His resume looks good. Looks like he recruited well (I am assuming based on being DC), seems well respected. ND didn't appear to want him fired, Uconn he was the HC so different. We didn't hire based upon his HC credentials. Other P5 expressed interest. Pretty nice. As mentioned above we paid. A lot. His credentials and resume as a DC shows it was a good hire. Good fit, we will see. I like his brash personality, off the wall comments, NU needs that IMO.

More importantly, whomever made the decision, sent a very loud and not veiled message. Win (improve) or you are gone. I imagine without a drastic improvement in offensive production this year, Cav and Langs won't be here in 2018. Riley, IMO, was hired as the anti-Bo. I tight anti in personality not in firing dudes. Kudos to him. Maybe SE or others pressured him, but Riley did it. Cally didnt, Bo didn't.....

Bobby D, Bob, Diaco, Coach Detc (we need a name) will show a lot in getting a recruit or two in the short term. Im anxious to see how we do if we start in the 3-4.... Regardless, he gets a year or two to get the pieces to run it.

Agreed! I always thought we should go to 3-4, due to our lack of getting good athletic DEs which we need in a 4-3. Plus our safeties do no have play the run quite as hard.

... with the #4, 6, 1 and 15th ranked recruiting classes in the pipeline at ND.

Got to temper expectations a bit and give the guy time to implement before setting up these expectations.

I expect improvement in the D. It's not wrong to expect that.

I think we're going to see significant improvement in the defense. Just a hunch I have. :)

I honestly thought Banker would have got one more year. Yes, the defensive stats were definitely padded this year going up against some pretty terrible offenses that still seemed to thrill against us at times nonetheless but I digress. This is a sound wake up call to the staff that expectations must be met.

Langsdorf on notice? (let's see what he has to offer with a pure passer)

Off topic is he related to the Spitting Cobra Steven Diaco? Yello...