The Republican Utopia

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

When a couple of billion unskilled migrants who can’t even speak English show up here maybe they can stay in your basement,

This is a pretty spot-on description of Washington's army (give or take a couple decimal points).

What do you have against the patriots who fought to free this country from tyranny?

My ancestors didn't speak English when they arrived in America. Did yours?

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is a pretty spot-on description of Washington's army (give or take a couple decimal points).

What do you have against the patriots who fought to free this country from tyranny?

My ancestors didn't speak English when they arrived in America. Did yours?

Washington's army was unskilled and couldn't speak English? 

I can't wait to see some evidence of that.

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

to the sh****le countries from whence they came.

Why do you need to use that word? Why would you demean entire people like that? Why are you such a Xenophob? Where do you teach that they would allow you to say such hateful thing when you are supposed to be molding our future leaders?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Why do you need to use that word? Why would you demean entire people like that? Why are you such a Xenophob? Where do you teach that they would allow you to say such hateful thing when you are supposed to be molding our future leaders?

You already know the answer to this question. We all do. But if we say it then we get banned so we just have to think it. 

• Plus1 3

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Friendly reminder that Republicans control congress.

Believe me when I say, I'm not trying to defend members of congress.

But, I wonder how technology has affected this.  Years ago, committees needed to actually meet together to discuss issues.  Now, a lot of that can be done over emails...etc.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:32 PM, Ric Flair said:

Wrong again. Let’s see some evidence of people here posting their support of Trump.

I have posted a number of positive things in the "Trump Economy" thread.

But.....in a general sense....why would I post positive things about a guy who i don't want as President?

Usually, how these things work, is if I don't like Trump, I will comment on why I don't like Trump.  You love Trump, so you would counter my comments with facts and we have a discussion.

Discussions usually don't go well when you do nothing but come on here and make snide comments or condemn the board because people post things you don't agree with.

• Plus1 2
On 11/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, Ric Flair said:

Why don’t we just take in everyone from every corrupt and dangerous country in the world. When a couple of billion unskilled migrants who can’t even speak English show up here maybe they can stay in your basement,

No one is arguing we should do that. The status quo was working well. Illegal immigration is practically a non issue on the list of important issues to “fix.”

Here’s an interesting graph:

IZAWOL.81.ga.png

• Plus1 1

The GOP position on immigration is pretty tricky. They need the Hispanic votes to win, and wealthy Republican donors in certain industries are hugely reliant on illegal immigrant labor. Democrats need to be honest about the need for some coherent policy, and the aggressive deportation record under Obama that didn't seem to bother anybody at the time.

• Fire 1

Immigration into the US needs reform.  There is no doubt about that.  Reform should not include

Billions of dollars on a wall that won’t stop people from illegally crossing the border

Using US military as some form of “defense” against people not actually doing anything illegal

Locking children in cages and separating them from their parents and having them represent themselves in immigration court

Attempting to end birthright citizenship

There are probably more but start with not doing these things and I’m all ears about how to make immigration safe, efficient, and effective for all parties involved.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The GOP position on immigration is pretty tricky. They need the Hispanic votes to win, and wealthy Republican donors in certain industries are hugely reliant on illegal immigrant labor. Democrats need to be honest about the need for some coherent policy, and the aggressive deportation record under Obama that didn't seem to bother anybody at the time.

One of the main problems is that many Republicans see illegals as cheap labor, while many Democrats see illegals as future Democratic voters. So large segments of both camps have no real desire to do anything to fix the problem.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One of the main problems is that many Republicans see illegals as cheap labor, while many Democrats see illegals as future Democratic voters. 

Nope. Some of us recognize immigration as a complex situation involving actual humans, while others use xenophobic rhetoric to dehumanize them.

• Plus1 6