The Republican Utopia

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Remember when the republicans were all about respecting law enforcement?

Wake the f#&% up Trump supporters!!!! This is not normal! This is not ok! This is literal treason! They are trying to tear down our nation's safe gaurds based on insane and debunked conspiracy theories! And to what end?

On 11/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Remember when the republicans were all about respecting law enforcement?

Here is the full article link.  Just amazing.  We have parallel universes going on here.  I just hope the real universe gets the facts out and gets Trump kicked out before this turns into 1932 Germany.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry-latest-russia-mueller-ukraine-zelensky-a9181641.html

As the impeachment hearings get more and more alarming for Donald Trump, with damning new evidence emerging every day, there appears to be increasing urgency in the parallel counteroffensives under way by the president’s team in an attempt to defend him.

There are attacks against the witnesses giving testimony by Trump and his supporters, including attempts to smear Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman, Ukraine expert at the National Security Council who this week provided crucial testimony about Trump’s telephone call to Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky. And there have been the extraordinary scenes of congress Republicans breaking into the proceedings and disrupting them.

At the same time, overshadowed by the publicity around the impeachment, is the ever-broadening investigation by William Barr, the attorney general, which the White House sees as a game-changer. An investigation which is seeking nothing less than to overturn the conclusion of the US intelligence services and special counsel Robert Mueller that Russia interfered in the last US presidential election.

This has now been designated a criminal investigation with power of subpoena and the possibility of prison sentences for those who have been allegedly involved in criminal actions, although exactly what these criminal actions entail remains unclear.

It may also seem odd that Trump, having repeatedly claimed that the Mueller report was a “complete and total exoneration” of him over Russiagate, is now going to such lengths to try and discredit it.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Here is the full article link.  Just amazing.  We have parallel universes going on here.  I just hope the real universe gets the facts out and gets Trump kicked out before this turns into 1932 Germany.

My wife said this morning...."OMG....imagine what he will be like if he wins next year and doesn't have to worry about winning another election."

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

My wife said this morning...."OMG....imagine what he will be like if he wins next year and doesn't have to worry about winning another election."

Answer - there won't be another election.  Trump sets up his family members to take his place.   But to your wife's point, there will be hell to pay by all of his opponents.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good job Republicans. You put in a President that actually has to go to the Supreme Court to not be prosecuted. America better hope there isn’t some horrible precedent set here for the future. 

I don't think anyone should be immune from criminal investigation at any level in this country. I can agree with elected officials being immune from prosection until they are removed from office though.

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't think anyone should be immune from criminal investigation at any level in this country. I can agree with elected officials being immune from prosection until they are removed from office though.

I can see the reasoning, but there has to be a point where they can be hauled off in cuffs, right?  Maybe for violent crimes?

Let's say a President instructed a person to commit a violent crime and there is evidence directly linking him to the perpetrator.  He or she would have to be arrested, I would think...

33 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can see the reasoning, but there has to be a point where they can be hauled off in cuffs, right?  Maybe for violent crimes?

Let's say a President instructed a person to commit a violent crime and there is evidence directly linking him to the perpetrator.  He or she would have to be arrested, I would think...

This is tough territory. I think we all understand the argument that the executive branch needs to be free from prosection (if that's the right term) to do it's job effectively. The Constitution is intentionally ambiguous because I think the framers thought that people would do the right thing in the face of tyranny. An easy assumption to make given the times they were in and the events that birthed the nation.

Unfortunately, I think we have to be pedantic in a hypothetical like you suggested. You have to follow the procedure or you set dangerous a precedence. If we are saying that POTUS can be arrested at anytime without first being impeached then we are effectively legalizing a coup. Any president could be arrested for false charges at any time, jeopardizing our government.

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

If the president cannot be guilty of a crime, it is a fundamental flaw in our Democracy...because he could commit any crime during his term and get away with it no matter how horrible.

That becomes a Tyrannical rule and flies in the face of Democracy.

That's not what anyone here is saying. That's really not even the adminstration's argument right now.