The Republican Utopia

Just now, TGHusker said:

I was thinking about what parents are doing. I wouldn't want parents to force a change on a child if that is indeed what was happening.  I'm talking about trans and gay in general. 

What do you think Abbott is actually trying to protect.   My understanding is he is also following the science that suggests kids don’t have the capacity to make a life altering decision like this so why allow it? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

"It is already against the law to subject Texas children to a wide variety of elective procedures for gender transitioning, including reassignment surgeries that can cause sterilization, mastectomies, removals of otherwise healthy body parts, and administration of puberty-blocking drugs or supraphysiologic doses of testosterone or estrogen," Abbott wrote.

The governor added that state law requires licensed professionals who have direct contact with children — including doctors, nurses and teachers — to report instances of "such abuse," with criminal penalties available for those who fail to report.

Abbott, in Tuesday's letter to the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, ordered the agency to conduct "a prompt and thorough investigation of any reported instances of these abusive procedures in the State of Texas.

Texas law also requires the Department of Family and Protective Services to investigate parents who allow gender-affirming care for their children, Abbott told the agency.

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You sure assume a lot about the motivations of people and families you don't know at all.

Even if we set aside the merits of either of our arguments at the moment, think about the mechanics of how this directive is supposed to be executed. A governor is compelling various private citizens, many of whom are not actually government employees, to report information on other citizens to the government.

Isn't that the kind of thing conservatives should theoretically be completely against?

I mean it's not like government intrusion into private medical decisions is any new fascination for them. But it's clear there are competing tenets here and they're choosing a government forcing religion on people rather than promoting smaller government and personal freedom.

I will answer this way…

Do you believe we should be compelled to repute alleged child abuse?  Or should we just stay out of it cause freedom and such?  

my view is we should.  I also view parents pushing kids towards believing they were supposed to be a different gender is mental child abuse.   Any parent who does this is a complete piece of s#!t.  If the kid seems confused, get them counseling and see what comes of it.  When the kid becomes an adult I don’t give a s#!t anymore.  They want to go down that road, it’s their life, but at least they were given time to let their mind develop more before making that type of decision.  

maybe they should just make a no minor transition allowed law instead of whatever he’s trying to do now (which I haven’t read up on besides the one letter posted) 

• Plus1 1

If Abbott ran for president I'd vote for him.  The size of Texas, the number of people, how he's handled the pandemic (liberals got upset), the mask mandates (liberals upset), securing the boarder (liberals upset), when he closed nonessential businesses, which included abortion clinics (liberals got upset), lifting mask mandates (liberals said it would be a disaster), when he allowed the Texas Rangers to have full capacity on opening day during the pandemic, by opening Texas 100%,.. and Biden went public by calling it a mistake.  I mean, Abbott has been a good governor of Texas, and yet everything he does he receives the DeSantis treatment from the left.  Case in point, these last 2 pages jumped on him unfairly.  Including the Twitterverse.  There is a Texas law, and as Gov, Abbott ordered an investigation to see if the law is being broken, or has been broken, and will prosecute if law has been broken. Texas General Attorney and the republican members brought it to his attention.  So he acted on it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you believe we should be compelled to repute alleged child abuse?  Or should we just stay out of it cause freedom and such?  

my view is we should.

There's room to believe that. But that's a liberal position, not a conservative one. There's also a middle ground between being compelled and thinking people should stay out of it.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I also view parents pushing kids towards believing they were supposed to be a different gender is mental child abuse.   Any parent who does this is a complete piece of s#!t.  If the kid seems confused, get them counseling and see what comes of it.

What if what comes of it is going through transitioning via medicine? You're operating as if parents pushing their children to become trans is the default. Personally, I doubt any parent, even the most woke lib activist crusaders, would want to subject their kids to the psychological and sociological trauma associated with that unless the kids were already legitimately experiencing some severe gender dysphoria or trouble. Even if that's not the case, this new focus leads to an incredible opportunity for unjust punishment towards the __ percentage of parents who are stewarding their kids well but still end up going down that route. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Personally, I doubt any parent, even the most woke lib activist crusaders, would want to subject their kids to the psychological and sociological trauma associated with that unless the kids were already legitimately experiencing some severe gender dysphoria or trouble.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/23/texas-jury-rules-against-divorced-dad-trying-to-stop-7-year-old-sons-gender-transition/

7 yrs old…..7!   You think a 7 year old knows wtf transitioning is and what it means for the rest of their lives??? I’m the proud parent of a 6 yr old and the answer is no.   Give me time and I’ll find many many more examples 

This could possibly the most cringe worthy photo I've ever seen. 

There's a lot going on there but tops is the.... I guess what you'd call a portrait?  Lol.... 

Or maybe it's the two grown men sitting under it seemingly oblivious to it all and just what it says, not only about the narcissist who allowed such garishness to be hung in his own house, but what it says about their willingness to sell their self respect for power.  

Or it could be Ted's heels.

• Plus1 2