The Republican Utopia

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

It takes time to respond to inflation like this, and there's very little magic-wanding a president can do about it. The Fed can (and will) raise interest rates to help, but that's a small fix to a bigger problem.

Today's inflation is caused by worker shortages and supply chain problems, all stemming from the pandemic. I'm not sure to what level of accountability you want to hold Biden for this, but it's not only not a problem of his creation, the solutions are a bit out of his hands as well.

Other economies that have robust antitrust laws will recover quicker - greater diversity creates competition, forcing prices down and competition for workers up. Had we broken up some of these massive companies over the last few decades we'd be in better shape - but that's not a solution for today, nor is that failure Biden's. 

I think the recovery of the United States is far superior to most other nations. This mostly because of spending approved by Trump during the pandemic. So I would push back on the idea that other nations are having a superior recovery. Our recovery, if anything, is too successful at the moment. This link is from late 2021 but largely still stands.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2021/12/08/a-most-unusual-recovery-how-the-us-rebound-from-covid-differs-from-rest-of-g7/

48 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

The Republican party still wants America to know that they are in good hands.  The BEST hands.

"This is an easy vote.  This is a vote very much based on science......."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I don’t understand what the natural immunity bill is supposed to do based on that clip.  Neither natural immunity nor Covid vaccine really prevents people from getting infected again 100% of the time.  Seems like both of these people don’t know what they are talking about based on this clip alone.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, nic said:

where this happened is a big deal for Republicans, so I put it in their utopia. Up to 70% voted to recall 3 school board members. I doubt conservatives alone could pull that off in San Francisco.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

I'm a super liberal in the super liberal Bay Area, and when I get together with my super liberal friends we agree that the San Francisco school board is an embarrassment of political correctness. The 70% reflects a lot of people who support CRT and LGBT inclusion, but think the SF school board was doing far more personal grandstanding than looking out for the needs of children and the limited public school budget. 

The 3 members outsted will likely be replaced by more measured and competent representatives. There is approximately zero chance they will be Republicans. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

The Republican party still wants America to know that they are in good hands.  The BEST hands.

"This is an easy vote.  This is a vote very much based on science......."

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm not sure I understand the natural immunity argument. If you are lucky enough to have proven natural immunity from COVID, then no, you shouldn't be required to get the vaccine (although there doesn't seem to be any extra risk involved)

So that would simply mean people who don't want to get the vaccine could provide their natural immunity tests instead.

This is all based on my assumption there's such a thing as a simple natural immunity test.

I guess I could research this myself, but I'm hoping someone here will do it for me. I'm kinda busy. 

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm a super liberal in the super liberal Bay Area, and when I get together with my super liberal friends we agree that the San Francisco school board is an embarrassment of political correctness. The 70% reflects a lot of people who support CRT and LGBT inclusion, but think the SF school board was doing far more personal grandstanding than looking out for the needs of children and the limited public school budget. 

The 3 members outsted will likely be replaced by more measured and competent representatives. There is approximately zero chance they will be Republicans. 

Is San Fran still remote learning?

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not sure I understand the natural immunity argument. If you are lucky enough to have proven natural immunity from COVID, then no, you shouldn't be required to get the vaccine (although there doesn't seem to be any extra risk involved)

So that would simply mean people who don't want to get the vaccine could provide their natural immunity tests instead.

This is all based on my assumption there's such a thing as a simple natural immunity test.

I guess I could research this myself, but I'm hoping someone here will do it for me. I'm kinda busy. 

It works kinda like this. If a person thinks they have natural immunity then, in their mind, they do in fact have natural immunity. It’s all highly scientific.

19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It works kinda like this. If a person thinks they have natural immunity then, in their mind, they do in fact have natural immunity. It’s all highly scientific.

Now that you mention it, vaccination cards are easily counterfeited and barely scrutinized. A "natural immunity card" would be no different.

Everything is based on trusting people to be thoughtful of others. 

31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is San Fran still remote learning?

No. SFUSD was full-time in-person learning for the 21-22 school year. I don't think they even offered a hybrid option. 

San Francisco is the most densely packed city outside of Manhattan, but for some reason it has the lowest COVID numbers of any major city.

And as of today, the State of California has lifted the mask mandate. So I'm breathing freedom today. Don't know about you tree-hugging Nebraska libs. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. SFUSD was full-time in-person learning for the 21-22 school year. I don't think they even offered a hybrid option. 

San Francisco is the most densely packed city outside of Manhattan, but for some reason it has the lowest COVID numbers of any major city.

And as of today, the State of California has lifted the mask mandate. So I'm breathing freedom today. Don't know about you tree-hugging Nebraska libs. 

Ugggg, we have to wear the KN-95 mask at school and it SUCKS... I guess my wear a$$ ears can't handle it.

What does freedom smell like?

29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ugggg, we have to wear the KN-95 mask at school and it SUCKS... I guess my wear a$$ ears can't handle it.

What does freedom smell like?

I'm guessing body odor and and bad breath...

Only because my kids insist I'm a dictator because I make them bathe and brush their teeth!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Good insight. We elected some conservative board members here in Douglas County, CO. They are proving to be incompetent and are acting like they have a mandate to do so. I suspect more turnover.