The Republican Utopia

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Any of our friends who typically share Tucker's talking points have a come-to-Jesus moment over the last few days, or is everyone still supporting the party of trump?

Just waiting for the next book banning or non-existent culture war issue that they'll come out against. 

They all probably believe that this wouldn't have even happened under dear-leader Trump. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think this distills things nicely. ^^^

The Rs have a much shorter mission statement and don’t get near as bogged down by minute differences, ethics, decency etc. The Ds issues are much wider ranging and they tend to argue the minutiae within their ranks. The Rs have found traction by incorporating one additional, simple, bullet point- Dems and anything dems want is bad.

It’s the fly in the ointment that prevents our democratic system from working properly.

Again, we're not really comparing the Far Left to the Far Right.  What we used to call the Center/Right is turning out to be more extreme, dangerous and irrational than the tempered utopianism of the Far Left. For that matter, the American Center is far more conservative than it used to be, or is in many first world countries. 

In truth, the Far Left is not represented at all in our government, whereas dozens of Congresspeople, governors, and apparently hundreds of state senators are totally off the rightwing rails. 

i.e. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez doesn't cancel Marjorie Taylor Greene. 

But yeah, wherever things get nuanced and complicated is where you lose most Americans. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, we're not really comparing the Far Left to the Far Right.  What we used to call the Center/Right is turning out to be more extreme, dangerous and irrational than the tempered utopianism of the Far Left. For that matter, the American Center is far more conservative than it used to be, or is in many first world countries. 

In truth, the Far Left is not represented at all in our government, whereas dozens of Congresspeople, governors, and apparently hundreds of state senators are totally off the rightwing rails. 

i.e. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez doesn't cancel Marjorie Taylor Greene. 

But yeah, wherever things get nuanced and complicated is where you lose most Americans. 

I wasn’t comparing the far right or far left of anything? I simply agreed that the Rs have managed to overly simplify their goals to a few points and keep the messaging simplified. The Ds have been far less politically  successful within their own ranks. It’s pretty impossible for our government to function as intended when absolutely anything the other side comes up with is successfully demonized by the whole of one party. Did I mention, our system is beyond broken.

• Plus1 2

On 2/26/2022 at 1:46 PM, knapplc said:

Again, denounce this kind of thing happening in the party you support.

Silence is tacit approval.

It is time true Christian leaders stand up and denounce this misrepresentation of the faith.  The mix of politics and religion never ends well.  As a Christian I find this rhetoric appalling.  

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

You seem more willing to roll your eyes at @knapplc on a message board than you do the crazy people actually trying to gain real power in a party you claim to support.

Knapplc should be flattered you care about him, I guess.

Maybe @admoknows like the rest of us  he has condemned those types of idiot politicians and doesn’t feel the need to do every time they open their mouths.  Maybe he also knows the person he eyerolled is trolling and deserves that type of response.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe @admoknows like the rest of us  he has condemned those types of idiot politicians and doesn’t feel the need to do every time they open their mouths.  Maybe he also knows the person he eyerolled is trolling and deserves that type of response.   

But @admo feels the need to respond to @knapplc every time he opens his?

I could see your point if you all stayed silent.  But the fact that you guys are apparently involved in this conversation since you both are now replying to the topic, it does make it strange that you don't want to continue to voice your condemnation.    :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

But @admo feels the need to respond to @knapplc every time he opens his?

I could see your point if you all stayed silent.  But the fact that you guys are apparently involved in this conversation since you both are now replying to the topic, it does make it strange that you don't want to continue to voice your condemnation.    :dunno

People are so bad at telling on themselves. Pretty funny when you think about it.

• Plus1 2