The Environment

On 12/17/2019 at 2:46 PM, BigRedBuster said:

This is Murray Energy, owned by Robert Murray, recently made much more famous by John Oliver's really insightful and thought provoking segment on Last Week Tonight. Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet, drop what you're doing and watch it right now. It's the best thing you'll see all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN8bJb8biZU

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

I drove by a bunch of them today, I did not see or notice any fumes.  I also don't get why farmers/ranchers would not lease their land for them.  I also am not into the environment at all but if I owned land and some dude wanted to give me money to put up windmills I would be cashing the first check before he got back in his car.

The fumes are in the manufacturing process of making the windmills, not once they are up.  At least according to the great benevolent one who knows windmills better than anyone else.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, sho said:

The fumes are in the manufacturing process of making the windmills, not once they are up.  At least according to the great benevolent one who knows windmills better than anyone else.

Sounds like the same thing we used to say about the Prius and other hybrid electric cars when they first came out. "They cause more pollution to make than an Hummer, cradle to grave". I'll admit that I used to repeat those lies with out knowing they weren't true.

14 hours ago, ZRod said:

Sounds like the same thing we used to say about the Prius and other hybrid electric cars when they first came out. "They cause more pollution to make than an Hummer, cradle to grave". I'll admit that I used to repeat those lies with out knowing they weren't true.

I would rather have a hummer...if you know what I mean.

these fires in australia are massive.   

More than 5.9 million hectares—14.6 million acres—have already burned, and officials expect it to get worse. For comparison, the wild fires in California burned just over 100,000 hectares (247,000 acres) in 2019 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know the vegetation per acre in Australia is no where close to that of the Amazon.  However, I wonder how much of this has to burn before it starts having the same affect on the environment as the deforestation in the Amazon.

Hey nothing we can do about it or could've done about it. *twiddles thumbs*

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Did you not even read the synopsis above?

Doesn't that answer your own question...because it should. 

I think the administration is just getting better in the "optics" game.  They are essentially protecting the trucking industry from strict state regulations without "rolling back" federal regulations.  This is in line with past rollbacks; protect industry profits at the expense of environment.

• Plus1 2